Seattle / Woodinville (July 17th) meet impression.
Jul 20, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #31 of 70
The next meet will be in a few months with a few tweaks. Have PM'd several local head-fiers to get ideas to make the next meet a lot smoother. Glad you had a good time Wharfrat. One thing I forgot to mention, the Predator was awesome for a portable amp. I still have my Red Tomahawk, but the Predator really surprised me, I could really think about upgrading to one. Probably have a few more random thoughts come to by pictures and posts.

Jul 20, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #32 of 70

Quote:
Hi David,

Nice recap. Regarding keeping track of equipment, that's why us manufacturers tend not to leave our tables. If I may have been looking past some of you now and then when I was talking to you, it's because I was keeping an eye on a set of phones that were borrowed and being used elsewhere. That said, we've been to one of these events in the Bay Area and one up here now, with no problems. The Bay Area event was in three rooms and the general rule there was "you can borrow my headphones but please don't take them out of this room". If one is a little unsure of letting someone else borrow your cans maybe the best thing is to go with them to the rig they want to try them on.

My one suggestion for development of a useful etiquette would be if you put some cans on at someone's table, turn the volume up a bit and nothing happens, talk to the guy sitting at the table and make sure you are adjusting the correct rig. A couple of times folks got headphone cables crossed at our table and the guy on the left just about blew the guy on the right's eardrums out when he just kept cranking the volume on the wrong amp up past stun and almost all the way to kill.

that was me...at least once....
redface.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #33 of 70
We have to separate Doc's amps a little better next time. I got them mixed up too. Put the k1000 amp in the middle between the Sex and the Crack or something?

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #34 of 70
Alright, I finally got some pictures from my friend.  We had a very special listening session at my corner and in order to listen to my rig people had to sit in what I like to call, "The Throne of Kings".  Yes as you can tell from the pictures everyone really had a great listening session as they comfortably sat as royalty while listening to the best headphones my pocketbook could possibly offer. 

Here are some pictures and you can obviously see from the expression on everyone's face that they were more fascinated with the comfort of the chair than the sound of the headphones:

A special thanks really goes out to Gil for getting the meet started but I would have to say what made this meet really special was my friend pictured below:

All in all I was very happy with the meet and I am so happy that I probably still have this same look on my face right as I'm typing this:

Lol I'll probably post some useful reviews later on but I just have to say that I was astonished by Muu Muu's balanced protector with the HD650's.  I can honestly say I had to laugh in disbelief when he told me it could drive the HD650's but when I listened to it I was blown away.  That little thing is really no joke and I honestly never knew going balanced could make such a difference in the sound.  I'm very curious on his opinions of the upcoming JH-3A product as that could very well be my end all setup if it's everything people are saying that it is.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #35 of 70
Hehe that face says it all!
k1k has a habit of making people pull funny faces  =P

Looks like an awesome meet guys!

Jul 20, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #36 of 70

Quote:
We have to separate Doc's amps a little better next time. I got them mixed up too. Put the k1000 amp in the middle between the Sex and the Crack or something?

Unfortunately my truck wasn't running Saturday and I couldn't fit the roll around for the Nagra tape deck in my car. That frees up some table space. Perhaps as the meets grow a bigger venue would be worth pursuing so folks can spread out the rigs a bit.

I thought the meet was quite well organized and ran very smoothly. One observation I'll throw in is that the Bay Area meets have gotten big enough that they just pass the hat. With $10 or $15 from each member they can usually cover the cost of renting a good amount of meeting room space in a hotel near the airport. The MOTs are usually willing to kick in a larger amount to help cover any shortages and some members donate gear to raffle off to raise rent money too.

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #37 of 70
We are not quite there Doc B. We had a meet with MOTs, flyers, and a raffle here
Seattle Meet Impressions: June 21st, 2008

Great meet. The venue was awesome. The top floor at Resolution Audio in Ballard.
We are getting there. We need to get them a little bigger consistantly to get the everything in place. A room in a hotel or lodge, I am ready. Have a nice Pacific Northwest Head-fi meet with dozen's MOT's and a few hundred people. I can't wait.

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #38 of 70
Hahahah the fail chair. I love that picture of me.

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #39 of 70
That's funny just noticed everyone in the time out chair
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #40 of 70
Iamoneagain brought a Zero DAC (am I right?) and I plan to inquire as to which opamp upgrade he used in the Zero.  (I have to admit when he told me how much he bought it for, I kicked myself for spending nearly a grand on a Lavry.  I felt even worse when I realized there is this massive thread on the Zero DAC...so I am going to swallow my pride and inquire if it is still for sale...ha!).

Hmm, I brought the DHA3000/L3000 combo that was hooked up to the imac.  The DHA3000 had the wood panels on the sides.  It's an DAC and digital headphone amp and is no longer manufactured.  Not sure how much they're selling on the used market nowdays. So either you got the equipment confused or me confused, but no worries.  Having an equipment list with user name by the equipment is something to consider for future meets.  It will help with any confusion when writing our reviews.

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #41 of 70
Yeah that was actually me with the Zero DAC haha.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #42 of 70

Quote:
Here are some constructive feedback for future meets where noobs may be found:
  1. An introduction to who's who or even a name tag of the head-fi alias as names were mostly known at the brewery where alcohol was a play, but maybe that's a good thing
  2. Somehow, my HE-5 right side got bent during the meet.  I don't know how it got like it was, but I was able to bend it back without consequence.  So, I'll leave at that, but I hope head-fi veterans and noob know about gear respect and accountability should one screw* up somewhere else's gear whether it was an accident or not - enough said.
  3. I hope the events never experience an incident of theft, but at times I did question who's who.  Perhaps I'm being a little paranoid and should lighten up a bit, but the gear at the meet has some serious coin behind them and are without question, delicious eye candy.  I'm probably going over the edge and killing some fun factor, but a roster wouldn't be a bad thing.  It's part of my corporate crap that carries over. 

At one point a few years back we started on nametags, and it was good.  I'm not completely sure where that big roll went, but I agree.  Knowing whether someone is from head-fi or just wandering in off the street is good!

Additionally, there should always be an air of respect for gear.  You're not being paranoid at all.  This gear all belongs to someone who loves and enjoys it so if anything is in question, people should ask first.  And if you don't respect your own gear, that's fine: but be extra careful with someone else's!

Quote:
Our meets becoming bigger and bigger. Will have to talk to some Seattle Head-fiers to see if we have to amend some policies we have with caring for equipment. If anything happens please contact me ASAP. We do this fairly often and have most concerns handled. A sign in sheet with a gear log is not a bad idea since the meets are getting a little bigger. Most of the meets prior everybody knew just about everybody by a face and gear. Glad the meets are getting more popular, just have to keep policies in place to keep everything fun and accountable simultaneously. No biggie.

There are policies?  :)  I agree.  Shouldn't need to have a security guard wandering around, but people just might want to be more cautious!

Gil, put me on your list. 

Quote:
I thought the meet was quite well organized and ran very smoothly. One observation I'll throw in is that the Bay Area meets have gotten big enough that they just pass the hat. With $10 or $15 from each member they can usually cover the cost of renting a good amount of meeting room space in a hotel near the airport. The MOTs are usually willing to kick in a larger amount to help cover any shortages and some members donate gear to raffle off to raise rent money too.

Quote:
We are not quite there Doc B. We had a meet with MOTs, flyers, and a raffle here
Seattle Meet Impressions: June 21st, 2008

Great meet. The venue was awesome. The top floor at Resolution Audio in Ballard.
We are getting there. We need to get them a little bigger consistently to get the everything in place. A room in a hotel or lodge, I am ready. Have a nice Pacific Northwest Head-fi meet with dozen's MOT's and a few hundred people. I can't wait.

We started down this path ca. 2007/2008.  Gil and I talked at length back then about how to generate a regular source of dollars that we could use to get the bigger, more luxurious venues.  I know I've been a bit jealous sometimes seeing where other groups meet!  Dan, you have a great idea and people could donate at every meet.  It doesn't need to be tons, but $10 to $20 would fill the pot nicely.  I think one of our original ideas was to take donations at the smaller venues during the year (libraries, community centers) then have a nice big blowout every Fall using up the fund money.  Once those catch on, and as we add more friends, we could move to twice a year, etc.  Unfortunately, money is the key.

Anyway, sorry I missed this one.  I'd run down the excuses, but nobody would believe them anyway.

Dan - FANTASTIC that you were there.  We need connections to people like you.  Thanks for attending and bringing some (always) cool gear!
I noticed Ken was on the list as well as a few other MOTs.  Excellent, excellent, excellent. 

Gil - Keep on truckin, man.  Good to see you carrying the flame and picking up new people on a regular basis. Nice job mixing up the east side/west side meets!

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #43 of 70
Ha ha, you didnt catch me in the time out chair.
Big Poppa has done great keeping the flame going in seattle and it seems to have come a long way in the year that I have been coming. I dont know how it was before that but hopefully we will be able to get more of the founding fathers to the meets.

On another note, I now have to listen to my cans out of my headphone jack on my computer.
frown.gif
What do you guys think, cd player or sacd player. Any opinions?

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #44 of 70
Haha styles, I don't remember you listening to my rig but maybe you did when I stepped out.  If that's the case then I definitely should have stayed in the room as I wish I could have gotten a picture of everyone there in the chair.

Also I kinda purposely avoided your rig that meet because I knew if I were to listen to it too much I would've ended up taking it home.

Jul 23, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #45 of 70

Quote:
Haha styles, I don't remember you listening to my rig but maybe you did when I stepped out.  If that's the case then I definitely should have stayed in the room as I wish I could have gotten a picture of everyone there in the chair.

Also I kinda purposely avoided your rig that meet because I knew if I were to listen to it too much I would've ended up taking it home.

I even sat in the chair backwards. Had to do it with style. Dont worry, you will just have to listen to my new rig when I get it put together.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back