Seattle Summer Redhook Meet 7/25/2015
May 17, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #16 of 319
I'm pretty new to this game but I live really close by and would love to hear some of rigs. I am trying to decide what to upgrade my 10+yr old hd265 to :). I think I am choosing between the hd650 and hifiman he-400i.

May 19, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #19 of 319
  Congratulations! Bring it over to my rig when you can and see if it gives you the same experience you had with my HD800. I may bring the HD600 instead this time.

I have to admit it's difficult to say what I heard aside from "wow, this soundstage is for real!" Being new to headphone meets it was overwhelming and while I got a good introduction to each headphone that I tried, I don't think I really grasped it all too well.

One of the harder parts is having people intently stare at you while trying on their headphones. I might have focused more on how awkward that felt more than listening to the headphones at some points.

May 21, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #22 of 319
We have an MOT making the meet more to come. Will be announcing a few things
beerchug.gif

May 21, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #23 of 319
Hey everyone,
I'm pretty new to the forums here, and just getting back into headphones after about a 5 year break. I'll be trying to make this as it is not far from me at all :).

Thank you for setting it up!

May 22, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #24 of 319
Does anyone have a Valhalla 2 or Lyr 2 they could bring to the meet? Since I started with Schiit, you could say I still have a bit of fanboy left in me. Interested to see how it pairs. Also interested in trying some serious dacs. The Modi 2 Uber still sounds very digital to me. Maybe I'm incorrect in how I'm interpreting it, but that's how it sounds to me. Even the Bifrost Uber had a similar sound that I can't put my finger on. Just had a strange artificial sound to me that I couldn't ignore.

May 22, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #25 of 319
Sooooo for a n00b, how do these things normally go? I basically have a setup I'm happy with, but wouldn't mind trying new things, nor would I be opposed to anyone trying stuff I have (though I own nothing special at all - it's all in my profile for anyone curious).

May 22, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #26 of 319
  Sooooo for a n00b, how do these things normally go? I basically have a setup I'm happy with, but wouldn't mind trying new things, nor would I be opposed to anyone trying stuff I have (though I own nothing special at all - it's all in my profile for anyone curious).

Shower, clean your ears good. Your ears are basically earpad-hookers for the next few hours. Go to the pre-meet if you're hungry, or do it like I did and completely forget about the pre-meet. Bring your headphones, amp/dac, something to play music, and just in case, a power strip. When entering the glorious location, quickly run to the best looking spot and glare intently at anyone else interested in that area. Plop all your audio belongings down in said area to mark your territory. If you're sharing a power strip with someone else, remember back to the days of how amazing you were at Tetris and find the best way to position your wall warts minimizing the chance of overlap on an empty socket.

Right before finishing your setup, remember the creative audiophile dictionary. It's possible without this knowledge on the forefront of your brain centers today, everyone may be speaking an alien language to you!

Ok, you did it! You've now managed to complete your rig! Though there's more! Now that you were completely focused on your setup for the last 5 minutes, you just now realize everyone else has set up around you. Your gaze meets the ruins on the floor, your pupils shrink, and your brow sheds a glimmer of sweat. The cables. The cables are everywhere! All those 10 foot long cables have managed to come out from every direction. As soon as you start to walk forward they seem to move towards your feet. One wrong move and you are the new owner of a $3500 LCD3!

Also don't go crazy at the meet. Yes there's a lot of cool stuff everywhere, and you want it all on your face right now. Just remember to take your time, be polite, or else we will duct tape you to a chair and force you to listen to Beats. It's a terrible fate.

I have no idea why I wrote this, but my HD 800 was delayed by USPS (go figure, Friday delivery that doesn't happen on Friday), so I have to be silly, because it's better than going insane. Biggest tease ever USPS, I hate you.

May 22, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #27 of 319
Thanks for that :) silly as it may be, that sounds pretty familiar and exciting to me. I'm not even sure I'll bring my dac/amp/cans, but we'll see. I may go more just to be a little social and start plugging into the local community.
I'll have to start reading through that dictionary, for sure! Quite a lot to ingest... trying to put words to audio. As a life-long musician though, I quite understand that need.
I'm looking forward to this. It'll be nice to meet everyone there.

May 22, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #28 of 319
One thing I gotta say, there will be new gear from a few people I know of. So you think you are familiar with peoples rigs, they are changing.............

May 25, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #30 of 319
I'm down in the Puyallup area, this would be my first meetup. I've been looking for some closed backs, and this might be a great opportunity for me to talk to you folks about recommendations and specifics for closed backs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back