Seattle Frye museum January 5th meet
Jan 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #46 of 61
You guys have no idea how badly I wanted to try so many of these things...

How does the HE-500 sound on the ZD? What about on the S.E.X. tube amp? What did you guys think about the HE-500 compared to most other headphones there, such as the HD800, HE-4, and LCD-2?

AND OMG THE K1000 :frowning2:((((((((((((((((((((

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #48 of 61
There were several digital SLRs being used at the meet, will the pics and videos be published here? Forgive me for I forget names but there was suppose to be a documentary type video by one of the members yes?

(Meet review is now frontpage material)

Nice!

I liked the TV displays in the middle of the room. Even though it was pretty random, I saw clips from what looked like the Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli movie "Porco Rosso."

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #49 of 61
  You guys have no idea how badly I wanted to try so many of these things...

How does the HE-500 sound on the ZD? What about on the S.E.X. tube amp? What did you guys think about the HE-500 compared to most other headphones there, such as the HD800, HE-4, and LCD-2?

AND OMG THE K1000 :frowning2:((((((((((((((((((((

I was able to try the K1000 very briefly, unfortunately if there was one headphone/earspeakers that absolutely needed a quiet room, they were it. There was 1 gent with an HE500 who should have an impression with the ZD. My HE4 felt like they were underpowered out of them but I wasn't too surprised as they're just such hogs for power. The LCD3 with the ZD was absolute bliss, to me it was a step above the HE6 in the way it presents sound (dark phone) with luscious mids and highs on the tubes. The HE6 was very impressive out of the Odyssey amp however, considering SS the sound was very lush and the highs were not one least sibilant. Clarity on both phones were top class.

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #50 of 61

I was able to try the K1000 very briefly, unfortunately if there was one headphone/earspeakers that absolutely needed a quiet room, they were it. There was 1 gent with an HE500 who should have an impression with the ZD. My HE4 felt like they were underpowered out of them but I wasn't too surprised as they're just such hogs for power. The LCD3 with the ZD was absolute bliss, to me it was a step above the HE6 in the way it presents sound (dark phone) with luscious mids and highs on the tubes. The HE6 was very impressive out of the Odyssey amp however, considering SS the sound was very lush and the highs were not one least sibilant. Clarity on both phones were top class.

Thanks for the impressions :)
Yeah, I get what you mean about the K1000 :/
Any impressions on HE-500 VS any of the other headphones? Did you think it competed well with the others, especially the HE-6? :p

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #51 of 61
Here's a quote from another thread. As for the he500 stacking up to the he6, for the price it definitely holds its own. Keep in mind the he6 was on a different dac and amp along with a younger selection of music, my preference would have been to compare with classical, electronic, and rock. With that said, the obvious difference for me was the sound soundstage and depth of the he6 was on another level. The highs and mids were very lush with the highs having a sparkle but no sibilance. The mids felt more natural and bass had the the most favorable depth and clarity of any hp I tried there. It's a dark phone but the sound is very engaging and you just feel immersed in the music with no pinpoints of left/right and forward/back. Very speaker-like delivery.

Mids and highs. The 500s have a pronounced and thick mid all the way to about 8-10khz shy of where you'd start getting an airy treble. This particular 500 however had a grill mod done, I can't say how it differs from a stock 500. The stock he-4 had a more pronounced treble range than mid. I wouldn't say the mids were recessed but it is not as thick as the 500s and the pronounced treble can make it seem to take a step back on the stage. The presentation is definitely front row listening on the stock he4 but instrument separation is very good, albeit when the treble tracks get cooking in big orchestras or soundtracks the mids and treble can sound cramped.

Now the he4 with 3 mods takes on a different sound. With the star felt removed from the driver, pleather pads and grill off (for now until I make some larger opening grills), the inst separation gets even better. The front row listening now is more like 2nd or 3rd row, similar to the grill replaced he500. The treble is less pronounced but still very well presented, the mids and lows stay the same but now the mids come out a bit more. What you get is a flat response with a polite treble, great for the treble sensitive like myself. This is more preference, the treble isn't too hot to begin with just a little much for me (unless you're dealing with poorly mastered tracks then the he4 can get treble hot in a hurry).

The bass between the two is about the same as far as how deep it goes and clarity but the he4 has a slight one up on slam and quantity.

For the price, the he4 has excellent value. If you have the power to run them already, I would say it had better performance to price ratio than the 500s. (I'd think Darth Vader would have liked them too since he has the power for em but they're a little bright for his style)

What's interesting is the new hf line being single ended with the same light weight as the he4, yet seemingly only to be as efficient if not more efficient than the he400. Can't wait to audition both the new hps, more so on the 560 and sometime in the near future. Very excited for the new lineup.

Comparisons were done on a dedicated Sabre AudioGD DAC to a lisa 3 amp for both he4 and he500. I own the he4 so I have longer experience with it's sound than the 500s.

Thanks for the impressions :)
Yeah, I get what you mean about the K1000 :/
Any impressions on HE-500 VS any of the other headphones? Did you think it competed well with the others, especially the HE-6? :p

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #56 of 61
Wasn't able to make it to the meet, but hopefully there will be another one sometime this year. Would love to meet some seattle head-fiers.

K-1000?! SR-009?! Oh how I hope to get to try those sometime soon :p

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #59 of 61
So...if I go to a meet and say I'm Nimzerz, is the impression now going to be "oh that stoner kid" hahaha :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back