Searching for Upper Mid-range IEMs
Jan 5, 2017 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gauchotodd

Head-Fier
I just tried the RE-400 because of the consensus that they're a great value for their performance, but their performance isn't anywhere near what I'm looking for. I have been considering the Klipsch x20i for a while, but have seen so many mixed perspectives on them that I'm unconvinced I'll be happy with their performance for their cost, either.

My full-sized cans are the HD700 and HE-560, and I'm looking for IEMs that are close to matching their performance and sound signatures. Would the x20i get me there? Are there any standout products under $500 that I've been missing? For reference, I only intend to be using these with the Centrance Hifi-Skyn and FLAC files for commuting, traveling, etc. All help is much appreciated!

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks, I do like slightly bass-heavy signatures, but I'm more concerned with detail, clarity, and balanced spectrum.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 7
Or if anyone can direct me to some more info I can read up on, that would be very welcome as well.

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 7
  I just tried the RE-400 because of the consensus that they're a great value for their performance, but their performance isn't anywhere near what I'm looking for. I have been considering the Klipsch x20i for a while, but have seen so many mixed perspectives on them that I'm unconvinced I'll be happy with their performance for their cost, either.

My full-sized cans are the HD700 and HE-560, and I'm looking for IEMs that are close to matching their performance and sound signatures. Would the x20i get me there? Are there any standout products under $500 that I've been missing? For reference, I only intend to be using these with the Centrance Hifi-Skyn and FLAC files for commuting, traveling, etc. All help is much appreciated!

You might also check out the Shure SE535. and the Senn IE8 (IE800 would be better--you'd have to stretch your budget)--one of them could potentially work for you. There is also always the Westones, if you like that kind of voicing.

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 7
  You might also check out the Shure SE535. and the Senn IE8 (IE800 would be better--you'd have to stretch your budget)--one of them could potentially work for you. There is also always the Westones, if you like that kind of voicing.

Thanks, I briefly looked at the Shure models, but wasn't sure which would have the right value:performance for me. I suppose I should look into the IE8 too...

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 7
I have the Sennheiser IE80s and I REALLY like them.  If you want something with solid low end punch you should check them out.  They are my daily gym IEM.  Best Buy has them for $250 now.  Great value but they are on the warm side. You won't get the highs of the HD700s.  

I just picked up a pair of Campfire Audio Jupiters.  They have amazing highs and tight accurate lows.  They are a little out of your stated budget but you should really enjoy them.  I have three Campfire IEMs and I'm so impressed with them. 

One last recommendation would be the 1More Triple Driver.  I think you can get them for $80 right now.  Those are amazing.  I find they have nice sparkle in the highs, good mids and solid bass from the dynamic driver.  I would describe them as having a W sound signature. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back