Searching for source rig for a newly aquired RS!
Jul 12, 2008 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

madwill

Head-Fier
Hi

This is my first post on this forum but I've been reading around for a while

Ok here is my question:

I have been using yp-z5 with sr-60 for more then 2 years now, i recently added an xm4(with switched opamp) and its delightful !

But since my left earcup started to make that "Wizzz" sound when going on very low deep bass i thinked myself i could upgrade get a lil change so i started looking around thinking about buying a 300$ set.

Thats when it found 350$ Grado rs1 at a local pawn shop they didnt look used at all, jumped on the deal and then found out that i really dont have much to feed it, make it sound like when i tested them at a local hi-fi shop.

The better sound i get is straight from my computer where an integreted "high definition" sound card claims true 24bit decoding.

The yp-z5/xm4 is clear and fun but Not magical like rega planet/ra1 combo....

since i'm not quite rich yet i was thinking NAD 521BEE with MG Head DT/OTL MK III

but i know they are all good piece of hardware but i'm worrying about synergy ...

since i cant hear them first and kinda cant afford whats in local hi-fi shop around here
(ra1 - 640$, old arcam cant remember the # - 775$) i would go for recommendations

Thx a lot

Jul 12, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 9
K well i got the Nad now so i wish i didnt make a mistake damn compulsive ebay habits :wink:

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 9
Nice find for $350. I'm using my X-fi with my RS-1, it sounds quite good for the price. Have a search for the "hotrod mod" thread on the X-fi, It makes quite a difference to the sound.

Jul 13, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 9
Hey

Thx for the response, so quiclky

I am considering turntable but damn ...
one thing at the time i dont want to get crazy just yet

The nad is not actually the amp but the cd player and i've heard wonders about the thing.

got it for 172$ so i couldn't refuse

the goal is to still have money to spend in normal life

considering budget i think the tube amp might be the best value

i can't wait to hear them sing like they were in the hi-fi shop on demand
smily_headphones1.gif

i'll give you impression later !

Will

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you see if that pawn shop has any turntables? The RS-1 loves vinyl.

Weird, I did not like it with vinyl so much, midrange was just too forward >.<

Jul 13, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 9
i'll find that out for myself :wink: later on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back