Searching for iPod earphones
Dec 20, 2004 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Dan the audioman

1000+ Head-Fier
I used to have er-4p's but I gave those to my brother, so I'm looking for a new pair or iPod earphones. I know how amazing the er4p's are so im still leaning towards those...

However, idealsound doesn't sell them for $220 like they used to, so Im trying to find a cheaper alternative around $150ish.

Im looking into the shure e3c and the etymotic er6i. I need ultimate portability for my ipod so I wont be using my SR-71 most of the time with these earphones. I will be using these straigh out of the headphone out of the ipod.

I listen to mainly rock and alternative music (Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty, Coldplay, acoustic music...that sort of stuff).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Dec 20, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 12
I'm pretty sure TTVJ has ER-4Ps on special for head-fi members until December 25th for $199.

Btw, the shures are great though. I loves my E3cs.

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
I'm pretty sure TTVJ has ER-4Ps on special for head-fi members until December 25th for $199.

Btw, the shures are great though. I loves my E3cs.

Thanks. Ill check that out.

Nevertheless, I'm still very curious about the e3c's and the er6i's...

Thanks,
Dan

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 12
My E3cs are much more comfy than I ever found the ER-4Ps. The sound is more colored, not nearly as neutral. It's punchy in the bass and has a slightly forward midrange but I prefer it to pretty much any other canalphone I've used, including the MD33, ER-4P, ER-6 and E2.

I don't think I'd bother upgrading to E5s; I love my E3cs and probably the only upgrade path I see from them would be Sensas. But, I don't use my portable setup enough to justify $500 custom molded IEMs. =P

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

My E3cs are much more comfy than I ever found the ER-4Ps. The sound is more colored, not nearly as neutral. It's punchy in the bass and has a slightly forward midrange but I prefer it to pretty much any other canalphone I've used, including the MD33, ER-4P, ER-6 and E2.

I don't think I'd bother upgrading to E5s; I love my E3cs and probably the only upgrade path I see from them would be Sensas. But, I don't use my portable setup enough to justify $500 custom molded IEMs. =P

Thanks. What sort of setup do you use your e3c's with? With an ipod headphone jack? And if you use an amp, what kind?

Thanks,
Dan

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 12
I usually just use it out of the headphone jack of my Mini. I do have a MINT amp though, and it does make a notable positive difference, but in most portable situations I don't use it because of the added bulk. I'd rather keep my iPod in my pocket than in my purse and it won't fit in my pocket with the MINT attached to it. =P

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

I usually just use it out of the headphone jack of my Mini. I do have a MINT amp though, and it does make a notable positive difference, but in most portable situations I don't use it because of the added bulk. I'd rather keep my iPod in my pocket than in my purse and it won't fit in my pocket with the MINT attached to it. =P

I feel the same way. I just cant carry around my SR-71 unless i have somesort of backpack to hold my case. For everyday use, i need to be able to use only my pocket.

what sort of music do u listen to? any of the bands that I listed?

thanks,
Dan

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 12
I listen to a very eclectic and wide variety of music and this limits my headphone choices to those that do pretty much everything well. Thus I tend to stay away from Grados and Senns. My home setup I use Beyerdynamic DT440s and they work well with anything I've tried to throw at them. Same with the E3cs. I like them with most anything, AND they sound good un-EQed, which is a must with the iPod Mini, trying to get every ounce of battery life out (as well as most of the presets on the mini will distort the sound to some degree).

I listen to mostly Japanese rock and pop, as well as local industrial, metal, techno, trance, trip hop, a smattering of classic rock, alternative, female vocals and acoustic. Favorites include Aikawa Nanase (of course), Shiina Ringo, A Perfect Circle, Luscious Jackson, Poe, Dave Matthews Band, BoA, Ueto Aya, Skinny Puppy, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Radiohead, Judy & Mary, Bonnie Pink, Opeth, Nevermore and sundry others. My current bands of the week are Portishead and Non Phixion. Good stuff. =P

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for you help!

Now i just need some more opinions! Feel free to chime in guys!

If this helps, I really like the grado rs-1 sound for my music.

Thanks,
Dan

Dec 20, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 12
BUMP!!

need some more opinions please.

Thanks,
Dan

Dec 20, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 12
I also have e3c's and enjoy them. They are very comfortable and sound good. They are great for their price. I use them with my ipod and am very pleased with them. I also did a review on them that are in this forum.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97991

Dec 21, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
I also have e3c's and enjoy them. They are very comfortable and sound good. They are great for their price. I use them with my ipod and am very pleased with them. I also did a review on them that are in this forum.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97991

Have you ever compared them to the er4p or er6i?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back