Searching for headphones $100-$150 (NOT for bass heavy music)
Jan 2, 2013 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

NotACat

New Head-Fier
Hello,
     Somewhat new here. Please bare with me. I am looking for headphones in the 100-150 price range. I will be listening on my ipod. No amps or anything like that. Most of the post I have seen so far are recommending only bass HEAVY headphones. I don't know if there is much difference in listening as I am fairly new. 

Some bands that I like are Mumford and Sons, The Avett Brothers, Modest Mouse, and Bon Iver

On the opposite side I also like Passion Pit and AWOLNATION. 

So all I really need to know is a few headphone suggestions in that range and if bass oriented headphones are not worth looking at if Bass is not my main factor. Or if it really even makes a noticeable difference. Thanks!

Some I have been looking at are:

ATH-M50s ( everything I hear about them is their bass)
SHR-440

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 15
^^ I'm thinking that I might photoshop a cigar into my profile pic so that I could have a little swag like Mal. Nah, I would still look the same. 
frown.gif

From those that Mal mentioned, I like the Beyer and AT A700/x.

gL!!

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 15
I would go for the Shure SRH-840, just an epic headphone if you want to actually hear details in your music..Bass is pretty perfect if you ask me. It´s present, tight, detailed...Just done right this can!

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 15
Purchase the GRADO SR80i,and be done!!! They are an on ear headphone for 99$ U.S. from AMAZON. They have just the right amount of bass when it is needed, with a very foward midrange with exceptionaly clear high's. These headphone's are a fast clean tight headphone, very fun and exciting to listen to. I alway's recommend these headphone's to people, within this price range, forget about the price only being 99$, you can spend MUCH more and not come close to the sound quality of these headphone's IMO.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Try to actually help please. A fat block of headphone text gets me no further than I already am.

You asked for headphone suggestions in that range. And you're complaining? There isn't one headphone that covers everything for every person. This is a preference game. And you're caught in it.

Try to actually do some searching to see if any perhaps sound like something you'd like to try.

And if you want to minimize the "fat block" then try to be specific on features and aspects of the headphones that you require, such as closed-back nature (and if you require isolation or not) versus open-air (assuming you want a wider sound stage, or a more airy presentation), pad material (velour, faux leather), brightness of treble, how you actually like your bass (anemic, neutral, warm, warmer, heavy, earthquake... etc), or perhaps how you like your mids to be presented, such as front row, slightly distant, super clear, or if grainy is ok, etc.

The more you give, the more we can give.

Do some searching.

Very best,

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 15
I thought I came across pretty clearly that I was new to all of this. Already knowing that, how could you assume that I know the difference between a more airy presentation with anemic bass, front row seat sound and all resting on a nice beige velour and a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys. My point being is that I don't.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
I thought I came across pretty clearly that I was new to all of this. Already knowing that, how could you assume that I know the difference between a more airy presentation with anemic bass, front row seat sound and all resting on a nice beige velour and a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys. My point being is that I don't.

Well only YOU should know what you want to hear. The question is what do YOU like???

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

If you really want to get into this, start with a more positive attitude, maybe some gratuity, and here's the beginning of your new language.

And if all else fails, just take a term and put it into google.

Good luck.

Very best,

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Stop talking to me like I am a cat.

Whoah, ever considered to...put more effort in it by yourself?
I got bombarded with these terms aswell, found them on the internet and returned, its actually really easy to do.
Or are you one of those people that expect everything to be handed to them on a silver plate?

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
^^ I'm thinking that I might photoshop a cigar into my profile pic so that I could have a little swag like Mal. Nah, I would still look the same. 
frown.gif

From those that Mal mentioned, I like the Beyer and AT A700/x.

gL!!

I changed my mind. This is me.

Just trying to add a little levity to the situation. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back