sealed lead-acid battery supply
Nov 25, 2002 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gdahl

100+ Head-Fier
I am planning to build a META42 using a sealed lead-acid battery supply.

Although portability won't be all that great, I want to combine freedom from mains/rectification noise with the ability to choose op-amps and buffers without having to keep voltages and currents in the "battery-friendly" range.

I plan to use a pair of Panasonic 12V 1.3Ah batteries in series to feed the power terminals on the META board. A crowbar diode will be used, as well as a fuse in series with the positive lead from the battery stack--these units will put out some serious current if shorted!

The unit will also include the appropriate charger for these batteries. The 4PDT power switch will toggle between the "play" mode (batteries in series, connected to META board) and "charge" mode (batteries in parallel, connected to charging circuit).

The mains cord will be a simple removable IEC type, so it can be used without being connected to an external AC source. With a full charge, a pair of 1.3Ah batteries should be able to power a few chips for quite awhile!

The resulting unit won't exactly be in the featherweight portable class (the batteries weigh just over a pound each, and are about 2" x 2" x 4" in size), but it will certainly weigh less than my laptop.

There have been several audio components that have used sealed lead-acid batteries to help achieve optimum sonic results. Danish Audio ConnecT (DACT) recommends that their CT-100 phono stage be powered in this way. Some people have used batteries to power the filaments of directly-heated triodes, and reported improvements over either AC power or regulated DC supplies.

The project should be done within a couple of weeks. I will take some pics and report on my results when it's finished.

Nov 26, 2002 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 5
Sounds interesting... I've been pondering something similar so keep us posted.

Nov 26, 2002 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 5
This will work well in the META42 remove the Virtual ground driver and use the cent tap between the batteries as the ground. this is also compatible with the AD-8620's max +/- 13 volts. the output buffer can be somthing real good like the EL-2009 if you can get them. or at least a stack of EL-2002's from Tangent

Nov 26, 2002 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks PPL!

Will do. Unfortunately I don't have a stash of 2009's (or a source for them) but I bought four 2002's from Tangent so I can do, er, short stacks. Also planning to use the 8620, as a matter of fact.

So...I should delete both the TLE2426 and the EL2001 on its output, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back