Sealed headphones with elevated sub bass but not overly bass focused.
May 2, 2018 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

limboimatic

New Head-Fier
Budget: $500 AUD but preferably much less if possible.

I have posted a similar thread not too long ago but I was not nearly clear enough and have tried some headphones plus learned quite a bit since then. I am going to a headphone store very soon and would like to get a few suggestions since I'm hoping this next purchase will hopefully do me for at least the next 2-3 years.

Here is my dilemma: I have very sensitive ears and I can't turn my volume up on headphones to the same volume most people are able to. This means cans that have great bass extension (especially planar magnetics) won't work for me unless there is a boost in the sub bass, because I'm not able to turn up the volume loud enough to even get a sense of the sub bass without everything else being deafening. At the same time, I don't want an overly bass focused headphone that drowns out the mids because vocals are important to me.

Personal preferences would be as follows:
Elevated sub bass. Mid/Upper Bass should have little to no bleed into the mids. Treble should NOT be forward at all.

My source is Schiit Magni 2 and Modi 2.

The three headphones which seem to fit my criteria that I plan on trying are:
Shure SRH1540
Sennheiser HD 630VB
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro

If anyone has any other suggestions for headphones at all, please let me know as the SRH1540 and 630VB are really pushing my budget and there's no guarantee I'll like the 380 Pro either (or any of them, for that matter, since I'm very sensitive to treble).

May 2, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 2
You might have a look at the Meze 99 Classics good on bass and a bit towards the warmer side on the treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back