Sealed headphones for around 60 bucks
Apr 7, 2002 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 11
Welcome to Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Without doubt if you're specifically after closed 'phones the V6 has gotta be a great contender in your price band (although you'd have to shop around to get them at that cost)

just to add in... for open 'phones at the same price bracket, Grado SR-60s are supposedly the way to go
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2002 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 11
You can find the v6 at www.etronics.com for $59.99. link

I think there's someplace that's a buck or two cheaper after shipping, but the name escapes me at the moment. I got mine from etronics and had no problems.

Apr 8, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 11
What about the Sennheiser HD212 Pro? How do they sound compared to the sony V6?
Do open headphones really bother people around you? is it too bad? Because if they don't I would certainly go with the Grado SR60s. I want headphones for say an airplane enviroment but outside noise cancelation isn't that important for me.
How about the Sennheiser HD497s, how do they stack up against the Grados?

Thanks.

Apr 8, 2002 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 11
Grados sound horrible on an airplane because then engine noise drowns them out. Forget about leaking sound, if you want to listen on an airplane grados aren't the way to go. I am actually looking at a set of cheap closed cans for air travel, so I'd like to hear how the Senn 212's or 202's do in that department. I recently tried the philips 550s and thought they weren't that good for air travel. They sounded ok in normal environments for a $30 phone.

Apr 8, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 11
Jacob---

I have the 202s. They are decent cans, especially given the price. Sort of flimsily made, and they have a sharp rolloff in treble, making them a bad choice for classical. They also have less bass than the V6 (an exceptional performer for bass) but have a broader soundstage and a less analytical sound.

The 212s are pretty obscure. I do not think anyone on this board has them or has reviewed them. They presumably sound better than the 202s as they cost twice as much, but that's a guess.

Pclose---

see my response to your other post on this topic. If your budget stops at $60, you can either:
1) buy the V6s and risk not liking them (they are controversial!)
2) buy the 212s and take an even bigger risk (and then write a review for the rest of us!
biggrin.gif
)
3) buy the 202s, accept their limits, and have $30 left over!

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2002 at 4:49 PM Post #10 of 11
I bought the Hd 212s a couple of weeks ago and have been listening to them almost nonstop since. i have most definitely achieved burn in. as these are my first 'good' pair of headphones i am kind of hesitant to write a review as i have nothing to compare them with. however i do know good sound as i have a fairly expensive sound system on my computer and a nice system at home too. i know this does not directly correlate to how phones sound, hence the no review yet....

well, i listen to the 212s on my portable and on my computer
(no amp in both cases) when i din't want to disturb my roommates (i'm in college) and they work fine in this regard. they leak very little to no sound. i was blasting techno almost full volume on my portable and noone could hear, but that was on my portable. if i turn the volume full up on my computer then the phones can work as a sort of mini speakers...i can keep them several feet away and listen to the music comfortably wiht no distortion of any sort. so they can be very loud too.

bass is fine...not TOO loud, but loud enough definitely, and let me tell you, i like my bass. and if you want headache level bass you can always use the bass boost.

so i think for someone with a limited budget ( about $50 or so, and no amp and sealed headphones, which was exactly my case), the 212 is the best choice. i thought about the 280s, but they were too expnsive and they also look kind of big and nerdy.

and that's my two cents. if some of you really want me to write a review then i will, but i like i said i don't have too much to compare it to, so...

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by torbaap
so i think for someone with a limited budget ( about $50 or so, and no amp and sealed headphones, which was exactly my case), the 212 is the best choice.

Have you compared them with the Sony MDR-V6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back