SE846 vs Roxanne universal
May 14, 2014 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

CRonaldo

Aka: googleli, LouisArmstrong, EllaFitzgerald
I am heart broken to have lost my SE846 recently. I ordered the Noble Kaiser 10 to compensate but although I have it on rush order I find the wait intolerable ( I just ordered today). I decide that I will get an universal to fill the gap as the Apple earbud is simply an insult to my ears. I quite liked the sound of the 846 as it sounded very natural unlike previous Shures. Would the Roxanne universal be better? I listen to mainly pops and vocals. Roxanne custom is out if the question as I need something right now to fill this gap and something to complement my k10 when it comes. Many thanks in advance for your advice.

May 15, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 15
Lol. Turned out that I did not lose my 846. I left it at my parents' home. But glad that I ordered the K10 anyway and looking forward to it. :) Oh and finally I became a member of this forum which I have been reading for ages. Sorry Jerry, maybe next time. (touchwood)

May 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 15
While waiting for the K-10, I now listen to the SE846 after I got it back. Listiening to it everyday made me tired of the sound signature and did not appreciate it as much as when I first got it. I guess it happens with every new toy. The feeling of lost and found made me treasure it more and I actually played with different eartips and filters this weekend. If you are feeling what I was feeling, I suggest you put it down for a few days, go back to the Apple or Samsung earbuds (or worse, Beats), then pick up the SE846 again. Sometimes it gets underwhelming because it sounds so natural.

May 18, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 15
Hmm, still interested of your impressions of your K10 when it arrives compared to your SE846. Maybe SE846 is just not to your taste afterall, not just the new toy syndrome

Jul 26, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 15
So glad you didn't lose your SE846.

Well.... have you gotten your K10 yet? It's been, after all, a month and a half and I've been hearing Noble's service is good.
What's going on, Ronaldo?

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 15
I was able to lend a pair of 846s from a friend for 2 weeks and were impressed by it as I was using the red 535s for quite a while. Love that bass and that sub woofer effect that no other BA can mimick. Lately, I decide to upgrade my IEMs and settled on a pair of UF Roxannes after trying it out. I've been rocking the UF Roxanne for close to 200 hrs now and I got to say it just blows the 846 away. There's absolutely no contest whatsoever in terms of sound quality. I can dial the bass half way on the Roxannes and the mids and trebles still sound the same. This is something that the 846 can't achieve. I can't wait for a direct comparison of the K10s as they're suppose to be very good too. Update us please when you get to your 100th hour with them!

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 15
I have both the 846 and the K10.  My comparison between the two can be found here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/685225/review-noble-audio-kaiser-10-10-driver-custom-fit-in-ear-monitor/270#post_10734898

If you're wondering, the K10 is better in my opinion, but the 846 is still quite a nice headphone.

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #11 of 15
Bump for this.
smily_headphones1.gif
would like to read your impressions on the K10.

What about comparing the K10s and the Roxannes? Just wondering what kind of sound signature the K10 would produce to differentiate from other competitors.  

I mentioned this in the SE846 Impressions Thread, but this is copy pasted when similar questions were asked on that thread:

Regarding SE846 vs. K10:
They are both great IEMs, if you are looking for an overall customizable sound signature with exemplary bass, I would choose the SE846.

If you like great detail, with a wide soundstage, but don't mind the bass being pretty light compared to the SE846 (the Noble 5Cs had more bass than the K10) I would choose the K10.

When head-fi member, Loquah repsponded with this:
"It's interesting how varied the reports on the K10s seem to be. All of the reviews and discussions say good things, but some talk about great bass while others (like yours) suggest a leaner sound (relatively speaking). Did you own a custom pair, moe, or were you trying a universal version?", I responded with:  

"Yes, it is interesting.  I demoed the universal version from Noble Audio's booth.  I inserted the K10s (and every other universal pair I have ever tried) as far deep into my ears as I could to have the most optimal seal and isolation.  I would say that the K10s were so bass light (to me) that I told Brannan that if the K10 had the SE846's bass, it would be perfect!  The K10, in my opinion, had the 'weakest' bass response across the entire spectrum out of the IEMs that I tried at the LA Head-Fi meet, except for the UERM, which is very flat in its overall sound signature.  You would probably get slightly better bass response if you own the CIEM version of the K10.  I know that moving from the sizes-fit-all tips to the SCS for my SE846 elevated the auditory experience and aided in representing deeper/more visceral bass that is now more felt."

Regarding SE846 vs. Roxanne:
The Roxannes were okay, but when you turned up the bass +10db, the bass sounded overly bloated compared to the SE846.  In my opinion after doing direct A/Bing between the JH13 Pro, JH16 Pro, Roxanne (and SE846) the JH13 Pro was the all-around performer, with the JH16 Pro having a little better bass with a slight hit in the mids and highs (compared to the JH13 Pro).

Regarding K10 vs. Roxanne:
These are two completely (in my opinion) different animals.  I feel the K10 has a more linear, truer sound signature than the Roxanne.  However, the Roxanne can be tuned regarding bass response, and has more bass presence as a result compared to the K10.  If you like bass and you must pick one of the two...try them both out.  But you may find another model is an overall better performer for your ears.  For example, if I had to choose a JH CIEM, based on what I have demoed, it would be......the UE18 Pro. 
etysmile.gif

At this price point, however, I would just try to demo as many IEMs/universal version CIEMs to find out what type of sound signature you most prefer.  If you do get to demo the SE846, make sure to swap out the different color filters if you can, because the frequencies in the 1kHz - 8kHz range are increased/decreased +/- 2.5db.

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 15
I will weigh in here to say that I think the lack of bass may be a fit issue. I tried the K10 at AXPONA and was really liking the bass I heard on the demo pair. Didn't A/B a ton, but I'd say 846, K10 and Uni Roxanne are fairly comparable there.

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 15
I will weigh in here to say that I think the lack of bass may be a fit issue. I tried the K10 at AXPONA and was really liking the bass I heard on the demo pair. Didn't A/B a ton, but I'd say 846, K10 and Uni Roxanne are fairly comparable there.

Possibly.  I did mention the custom K10 may have a better bass response.  I also shoved the K10s as far into my ear canals as I could for the best seal and isolation.  My opinion still stands that the K10s have less bass than the Roxannes (tuned with the little screwdriver) and SE846 for sure, no doubt about that at all.  I did a direct A/B with the 5C, 8C, and K10...the K10s had the least bass of the three.  Same company, same size tips, same method of insertion of the Noble universal version IEMs.

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #14 of 15
  I was able to lend a pair of 846s from a friend for 2 weeks and were impressed by it as I was using the red 535s for quite a while. Love that bass and that sub woofer effect that no other BA can mimick. Lately, I decide to upgrade my IEMs and settled on a pair of UF Roxannes after trying it out. I've been rocking the UF Roxanne for close to 200 hrs now and I got to say it just blows the 846 away. There's absolutely no contest whatsoever in terms of sound quality. I can dial the bass half way on the Roxannes and the mids and trebles still sound the same. This is something that the 846 can't achieve. I can't wait for a direct comparison of the K10s as they're suppose to be very good too. Update us please when you get to your 100th hour with them!

as a counter point, as of this week I own both the SE846 and the JH Roxanne (universal). They both sound great, but if I had to pick only one it would be the SE846. I much much prefer the vocals and the bass of the SE846. Vocals just sound more pleasing to me and the bass seems a bit punchier and extend lower to my ears.

I was hoping for the price and reputation to have really prefered the Roxanne. I definitely wouldn't call it no contest. There both VERY good, I guess I fall on the Shure side of the fence.

Maybe I need to spend a little more time with them. Currently using medium SpinFit ear tips, think I'm gonna order some large SpinFit tipsand see if that give me a better seal and more joy.

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #15 of 15
little update:

After new ear tips and turning the bass from 3 o'clock to about 5 O'clock, I'm beginning to enjoy the Roxanne's more, maybe even prefer them. I need to try some other tips with the SE846. I have ear of two slightly different sizes making finding something to insert deeply that works for both ears a bit difficult.

Aslo I find the Roxanne's easier to to put in and take out as they are not DEEP insertion like the Shure's. The large tips that came with my Roku so far give me the best fit, oddly enough. This is another reason I find my self reaching for the Roxanne's more often. Though I lose the ability to use a cable with mic, like I do eith the SE846.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back