SE846 "Less is More" by UNISPEED
Mar 13, 2020 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

unispeed

Head-Fier
This is a direct successor to my "Engineer Mod" which can be found here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/post-15138382

It is called "Less is More" due to its relative simplicity when compared to my other mods, however it sounds anything but simple. Its for those who like the bass provided by the blue filter but want more air up high (but not as much as the whites).

Parts List:

Gray Knowles Filters 2.08mm size (Qty 2)
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BF-1999-000/423-1187-ND/810401

2.1mm drill bit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GLYJ765/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20200312_231117.jpg

20200312_231832.jpg

20200312_232351.jpg

20200312_233025.jpg

STEP 5 EDIT - Set the barrel with the filter cloth facing DOWN instead what is shown in the picture. I will eventually update this picture with the change.

20200312_233854.jpg

20200723_124732.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #2 of 12
Heya, so, this is my first thread! I have used a pair of Ultimate Ears Super Fi Pro's for about 10-15 years! But did not use them for around 12 months and when i put them back on they sounded a bit rubbish so then began my quest for an ultimate pair of IEM's.

I must say the Shure SE486 thread has become a daunting task for finding out information and like others I was just after a bit more air up high.

So this has taken quite a few months due to everything happening with viruses and delivery times etc. I am very keen to get this done as it has turned into one of my life goals lol! Each step has taken a few weeks in between due to delivery times being slowed.

I did the Trish-D mod which helped.

So initially i purchased the Green, Red and Brown filters to do one of the previous mods. These Mods in the uk are quite cheap at £2.50 each pair but then cost about £13 P+P from Mouser.

I then bought the Grey for this mod at £2.50+£13 P+P In case i broke my Blue Filters I bought a spare pair of blue filters which cost around £25-30?

So then i bought a UK version of those drill bits on amazon, but none of them came with any indication of which is 2.1mm. I contacted them and they could not tell me, so I tried to do the mod on best guess. But the filter did just about fit into the Blue tip but would not fit into the IEM.

So then I bought digital caliper to measure them and none of them seemed to be correct.

So then I bought another set of drill bits that were guaranteed to be 2.1mm and they seem to be 1.9-1.94 according to my caliper. Tried them and they made no difference so i must have guessed correctly.

So I tried putting in the filter and even though it fits, i cannot put the Blue Filter back into the IEM.

So my measurements according to my caliper are

Drill bit 1.9-1.94 (Meant to be 2.1)
Filter 2.1 (Meant to be 2.08)
Tube is 2.15
Filer in tube is 2.4

Any idea what i need to do next? Any help most gratefully accepted!

Jun 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 12
Heya, so, this is my first thread! I have used a pair of Ultimate Ears Super Fi Pro's for about 10-15 years! But did not use them for around 12 months and when i put them back on they sounded a bit rubbish so then began my quest for an ultimate pair of IEM's.

I must say the Shure SE486 thread has become a daunting task for finding out information and like others I was just after a bit more air up high.

So this has taken quite a few months due to everything happening with viruses and delivery times etc. I am very keen to get this done as it has turned into one of my life goals lol! Each step has taken a few weeks in between due to delivery times being slowed.

I did the Trish-D mod which helped.

So initially i purchased the Green, Red and Brown filters to do one of the previous mods. These Mods in the uk are quite cheap at £2.50 each pair but then cost about £13 P+P from Mouser.

I then bought the Grey for this mod at £2.50+£13 P+P In case i broke my Blue Filters I bought a spare pair of blue filters which cost around £25-30?

So then i bought a UK version of those drill bits on amazon, but none of them came with any indication of which is 2.1mm. I contacted them and they could not tell me, so I tried to do the mod on best guess. But the filter did just about fit into the Blue tip but would not fit into the IEM.

So then I bought digital caliper to measure them and none of them seemed to be correct.

So then I bought another set of drill bits that were guaranteed to be 2.1mm and they seem to be 1.9-1.94 according to my caliper. Tried them and they made no difference so i must have guessed correctly.

So I tried putting in the filter and even though it fits, i cannot put the Blue Filter back into the IEM.

So my measurements according to my caliper are

Drill bit 1.9-1.94 (Meant to be 2.1)
Filter 2.1 (Meant to be 2.08)
Tube is 2.15
Filer in tube is 2.4

Any idea what i need to do next? Any help most gratefully accepted!
Look at steps 3 and step 4. In step 3 you drill the insert outside the nozzle. Then in step 4 you push the insert in the nozzle and redrill. Step 3 stretches the plastic but does not give the final bore. Step 4 does not allow for any stretching and will give you the correct final bore. If you skip step 3 you will probably rip the insert as the plastic has not been stretched any.

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 12
Heya, So it has taken me awhile to be able to get a pin that i can hook in and remove the filter. Unfortunately i cannot get one so have had to bend one that i bought to act as a hook as most pins have round balls on the end nowadays. Managed to get the filter out but damaged the filter so have had to order some more grey filters.

I thought i had done all the steps exactly as said but wanted to double check. So have retried this morning, just using the broken filter to test and the tube does not fit in. Unfortunately i have managed to remove the red filter ring now so will need to order another set.

I don't really know what else to do, I keep thinking that maybe the drill bits are not quite big enough even though they are HSS 2.1mm bits.

Any ideas?

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 12
Heya, So it has taken me awhile to be able to get a pin that i can hook in and remove the filter. Unfortunately i cannot get one so have had to bend one that i bought to act as a hook as most pins have round balls on the end nowadays. Managed to get the filter out but damaged the filter so have had to order some more grey filters.

I thought i had done all the steps exactly as said but wanted to double check. So have retried this morning, just using the broken filter to test and the tube does not fit in. Unfortunately i have managed to remove the red filter ring now so will need to order another set.

I don't really know what else to do, I keep thinking that maybe the drill bits are not quite big enough even though they are HSS 2.1mm bits.

Any ideas?

Due to how thin the wall of the plastic housing becomes after drilling it, it is quite delicate. My final bit size is 2.1mm. In the past I used a 2.05mm bit to bore the plastic tube. If you have access to a 2.05mm then follow these steps:

1. 2.05mm bit drilling the plastic tube OUTSIDE the metal housing like in STEP 3 (this allows it to expand slightly),
  2. 2.05mm bit drilling the plastic tube INSIDE the metal housing like in STEP 4 (the metal housing keeps the plastic tube from expanding so the same drill bit removes more material),
  3. 2.1mm OUTSIDE the metal housing like in STEP 3 (this allows the plastic tube to expand sligthly),
  4. FINALLY 2.1mm INSIDE the metal housing like in STEP 4 (this will give you the final bore)
Drilling the plastic insert in this manner creates some elasticity in the plastic so that it isnt so brittle and prone to breaking, especially given the wall of the plastic barrel will be very thin when done.

When I follow these steps I am able to slide the plastic housing loaded with the filter barrel in and out of the metal tube by hand with only some slight resistance.
Also, in the future, when you put in the filter barrel (STEP 5) dont do it like what I show in the picture. Unless you use foam eartips this will sound too bright. Flip the filter barrel around so the cloth faces the outside of the tube. This will sound more balanced and you'll recover some sub-bass. I'll eventually update the pictures with this change.

Thanks for trying out this mod. Any other questions dont hesitate to ask.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 12
When using my digital caliper the drill bit only seems to be about 1.9-1.94. And the damper seems to be 2.1. I am not sure how accurate these calipers are as have specifically bought one just for this. Maybe i should order some drill bits from other suppliers and see if they are bigger.

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 12
When using my digital caliper the drill bit only seems to be about 1.9-1.94. And the damper seems to be 2.1. I am not sure how accurate these calipers are as have specifically bought one just for this. Maybe i should order some drill bits from other suppliers and see if they are bigger.

This would explain why the plastic inserts are fitting so tight. Even a 2.05mm is not enough as the final bore. You need to find a drill bit that is actually 2.1mm. Your best bet is ordering a set of small drill bits and finding one from that set that is 2.1mm measured with your caliper.

Jul 23, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 12
The end result needs to look like this. The filter cloth needs to be closer to the outside. This is a revision for STEP 5. I've also added a note before the picture of STEP 5 that outlines that the filter barrel should be pressed in with the filter cloth facing down so that the filtering cloth ends up at the very tip of the plastic insert. This is what it should look like:

20200723_124732.jpg

20200723_124843.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #10 of 12
Hi. The stock blue filters have both the foam and a filter at its base. Does this mode requires the removal of those filters too, so leaving the inner tubes completely opened or just the foams, before inserting the 330 OHMS part? Thanks.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #11 of 12
Hi. The stock blue filters have both the foam and a filter at its base. Does this mode requires the removal of those filters too, so leaving the inner tubes completely opened or just the foams, before inserting the 330 OHMS part? Thanks.
Remove only the foam. The filter at the base of the blue filter remains untouched. It's actually a white knowles filter without the barrel. The end result is about 900 ohms of resistance. Please take note that in the very last step, when inserting the filter barrel, the filter element must end up at the very edge of the plastic insert. See the "Step 5 edit" in the first post.

Dec 20, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #12 of 12
Remove only the foam. The filter at the base of the blue filter remains untouched. It's actually a white knowles filter without the barrel. The end result is about 900 ohms of resistance. Please take note that in the very last step, when inserting the filter barrel, the filter element must end up at the very edge of the plastic insert. See the "Step 5 edit" in the first post.

Thank you very much for your reply. Really appreciated it. I will order new filters and give them a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back