SE535x6 vs JH13, UM Miracle, ES5
Dec 29, 2013 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Foocup

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade my current 535 and I'm stuck between getting it molded to a custom and adding three drivers or selling my 535 and just getting a custom from JH, UM, Westone, or another company. Adding three drivers would be much simpler but by adding drivers I'd expect to get at least somewhere near the performance of some of these TOTL customs, and I'm not sure if I will. Also, does anyone know if any other companies that could add drivers to my 535 have quicker turn around times than UM? I'd rather not wait that long if I don't have to. If anyone has any experience in anything like this, help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #4 of 11
i had a 535x8 and it was crazy how detailed it was, but ended up selling it because needed silicone customs for better fit and was too neutral for me. (and needed funds!)

I think you should speak to Lime ears in Poland or Custom Art Audio, same, in Poland too. 

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 11
Because putting another 6 cylinder into your Chevy's trunk would make it a Ferrari? Just buy a real Ferrari, avoid the kit car and call it a day. Read the forum and this.http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed

=) doesn't quite follow the parallel
they put their own xover, add drivers and reshell. that's a new car. (price-wise too :| )

>I don't mind what it is as long it can keep up with TOTL customs. So I guess the only question I have is does it perform similarly? Thanks again.

I had a UM sm3x6 and sm3x8. I'm fairly sure UM tune all the x6 and x8 models the same (i.e. sm3x8=se535x8). x8 is the same config/FR chart as Rooth LS8 and I didn't really like the sound . x6 was similar to miracle FR chart wise but to be honest I preferred my Merlins. (and UM said x6 < Miracle, but you'd sort of expect they'll say that since new IEMs are less of a hassle vs driver upgrades :D )

Keep in mind according to the UMG fb:

New build times from UMLab:
UM Custom IEM's - 7 Weeks
Re-shell's - 15 Weeks

(and that could turn into more time if you need a refit). or it could also mean 'difficult job wait forever :wink:'

Depends where you are as whoever says. if you're in EU, you might want to try Piotrg and his firm (for silicone) or Limeears. (for acrylic)
If you're in the US - JH (I have a JH16FP and like it a whole lot more than my UM Merlin)
at that point you could well try Heir Noble universals or customs or even UM Mentor :D or RDB+v1 or 1+2... or, non acrylic universals.

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 11
I reshelled a pair of broken 530 to SE530x6 and they sounded great. However, you can get better with full TOTL. The Miracles are clearly not a whole world better, but a bit more refined. Another thing is that I find these upgrades really hard to sell whereas a TOTL custom is sellable, even if you lose at least 40%.

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 11
I reshelled a pair of broken 530 to SE530x6 and they sounded great. However, you can get better with full TOTL. The Miracles are clearly not a whole world better, but a bit more refined. Another thing is that I find these upgrades really hard to sell whereas a TOTL custom is sellable, even if you lose at least 40%.

how much better did the 530 sound over stock. with the extra armatures is there extra tuning  in the crossover dept or no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back