SE530s or do I go all the way for custom fits?
Nov 21, 2008 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

mikeg88

Head-Fier
I've heard lots of positive reviews on the 530s, but not so much about custom fits (I guess 'cause they're less common). If anyone has an opinion, is it worth the extra $$? I have a pretty broad music selection all in lossless and a really clean 24 bit DAC and amp setup, so that should not be an issue here (mostly because I'm not upgrading that part of my rig for a while).

I like the idea of custom fits a lot, but they'd better be spectacular for that price. I'd be happy to hear the 530's are almost as good, but with less cost. (but still willing to accept otherwise).

Thanks

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #2 of 22
I'm pretty sure that the dual driver custom livewires are cheaper than the shures...

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 22
Frankly, I'm beginning to think that customs are a bit overrated, especially when one factors in the cost. Getting the right fit can be difficult and they are not necessarily easy to get in and out, which can be a pain in the ass when traveling. Also, no resale value. I do love my UE-10, but it is not flawless, and I will likely be jumping on the Klipsch sale to pick up some subway commute IEMs.

My .02 is to get the universals and wait to see if the competitive landscape drives down the custom prices. You can always sell the universals.

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 22
Well, for me, after I owned the UE10 Pro, I would say if you go for the custom, the experience of owning one definitely worth the extra $$.

But for me, even though I go all the way for the customs, I still can not resist the attempt to get Shure e530.

However, if you ask me if UE10 Pro are that much better than Shure e530, I think the answer is no. UE10 Pro is definitely better than e530, but that much better is definitely no.

I would say wait for the review for Westone 3. Maybe it will be the new king of universal IEM.

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 22
Is it true that you have to change your Customs every like 3-4 years because your ear changes shape?

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 22
If you're a definite go with the SE530s, I'd say try them a while, see if any of the many included tips work for you. If you find them uncomfortable, or if the sound signature changes from listening session to session, you could look into customs. Maybe out of the box will be just right though.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frankly, I'm beginning to think that customs are a bit overrated, especially when one factors in the cost. Getting the right fit can be difficult and they are not necessarily easy to get in and out, which can be a pain in the ass when traveling. Also, no resale value. I do love my UE-10, but it is not flawless, and I will likely be jumping on the Klipsch sale to pick up some subway commute IEMs.

My .02 is to get the universals and wait to see if the competitive landscape drives down the custom prices. You can always sell the universals.

x2 with this. customs will always be more money for what really is just a custom design. customs dont offer any better sound just because thier customs.

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 22
The Sleek, FreQ & Alien Ears C3 are all custom models that are close in price (or sometimes less) than the Shure SE530, and have SQ on par or better. I personally would choose all 3 over the SE530 in SQ, so you are not paying a premium for custom fit in these cases. That may be the case with UE and some of the other obscenely priced custom IEMs, but the 3 mentioned and most likely Livewires (never heard it myself) give you the best of both worlds for a very reasonable price.

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sleek, FreQ & Alien Ears C3 are all custom models that are close in price (or sometimes less) than the Shure SE530, and have SQ on par or better. I personally would choose all 3 over the SE530 in SQ, so you are not paying a premium for custom fit in these cases. That may be the case with UE and some of the other obscenely priced custom IEMs, but the 3 mentioned and most likely Livewires (never heard it myself) give you the best of both worlds for a very reasonable price.

i would agree with this also, i was referring to the UE line particularly, very overpriced as customs go, certainly not worth $1000+ in any case. i dont care what design you got and how many drivers there are, the sound quality is just not ''that'' much better than say triple fi 10 or se530, you really do pay for the custom design in this case.

its only recently we have got manufacturers offering customs at a very competative rate, lets hope it continues.

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would agree with this also, i was referring to the UE line particularly, very overpriced as customs go, certainly not worth $1000+ in any case. i dont care what design you got and how many drivers there are, the sound quality is just not ''that'' much better than say triple fi 10 or se530, you really do pay for the custom design in this case.

its only recently we have got manufacturers offering customs at a very competative rate, lets hope it continues.

wow this is great advice so far, everyone. Offhand, does anyone happen to know specific custom models under $500 (which is about the price of 530s).
I'm looking mostly at Westone and sleek now...

Thanks again

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you like the se530 better than the UE-10?

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow this is great advice so far, everyone. Offhand, does anyone happen to know specific custom models under $500 (which is about the price of 530s).
I'm looking mostly at Westone and sleek now...

Thanks again

Sleek, C3, FreQ (if they return) and Livewires are all under $500 (not sure about Westone).

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #14 of 22
In the past, I have considered the UE 10/11, but in the end it seemed to be an extremely overpriced IEM considering there is no resale value, etc, etc.

I'm not saying it is not worth it for some but the Shure E530 is so good for such a fraction of the price. The only thing (and it is a big thing) the Shures suffer from is the lack of treble extension.

If the Westone's live up to the hype and have treble that can do classical music justice, then I will most likely go for those and I'd recommend the OP wait until impressions (pun not intended
wink_face.gif
) come out.

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you like the se530 better than the UE-10?

as personal preference yeh i do prefer the se530, its just a little better for my range of music (reggae, hip hop, rap, some jazz and rock etc etc.)

theres no doubt the ue10 are flatter and therfor more accurate sounding but i find the se530 more fun and like has just been said, they are so much cheaper and in ways better dependi$ng on what you like.

edit: i agree with the above post, the westone 3 have the potential to bring all the qualities we want to the table but we should all wait for impressions for sure because too much hype can in the end be dissapointing.

also i dont really think the shure se530 highs is too damaging to the shure sound at all, sure if you want brilliant highs then theres other phones that will do em better, but i think the highs are so smooth it is not a week point of the phones because it matches the signature very well. we all know them to be dark but smooth and if this is the sound you dont want, dont buy em. if it is what you crave, the highs are fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back