SE530s broken...again!
Nov 14, 2008 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

phnx90

Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Posts
51
Likes
10
Hey guys,

My first SE530 cables snapped, so I got them replaced, free of charge. This second pair's rubber guards have come off on the left, and tearing off on the right...you think Shure will give me a third pair for free?

The shop I bought this pair from told me that they might not give me a new pair for free second time around, which means I might have to stick with this broken pair for a long time =( the build quality on these earphones are driving me crazy, though I love the sound...any ideas?

Thanks in advance
 
Nov 14, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 35

member1982

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Posts
1,380
Likes
21
i would think they are still under warranty, but you have to send it back and see if it can be fixed or not

They have to honor the warranty if they were not abused since they have Professional Warranty, now that sounds to me means if you wear it alot its still covered.
 
Nov 15, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 35

jinx20001

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Posts
2,639
Likes
20
whats the cable date? theres a code on the cable, 4 digits usually found on the centre modular jack of the earphones, what is that code for the record??

shure will replace them if they are under warranty. shure has revised the cable but alot of places are still selling the older compound construction. when i sent mine to shure i wrote them a letter specifically asking for a 2008 model with the updated cable, and they delivered on my wish.
 
Nov 15, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 35

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 14, 2008
Posts
1,794
Likes
12
I've been a bit lax on sending them back, admittedly,- sending them off Monday- but my quality control failure was regarding the rubber guard on my right earpiece coming loose. Shure said they would replace the whole unit. Just gotta send it off to them now. Out of interest, should Shure/the manufacturer be covering my shipping costs to send the faulty unit back to them? Being an item of its size (the product package is a chunky cube) and value I'm probably looking at a special delivery charge assigned to it on my end which is approx 5 or 6 pounds. Not exactly pennys. Is it on me or the manufacturer to cover this?
 
Nov 15, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 35

athenaesword

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 22, 2007
Posts
707
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by phnx90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

My first SE530 cables snapped, so I got them replaced, free of charge. This second pair's rubber guards have come off on the left, and tearing off on the right...you think Shure will give me a third pair for free?

The shop I bought this pair from told me that they might not give me a new pair for free second time around, which means I might have to stick with this broken pair for a long time =( the build quality on these earphones are driving me crazy, though I love the sound...any ideas?

Thanks in advance



does your shop offer local warranty? I would assume it should? isn't that the whole point of buying from a shop instead of placing an order online?

if it offers local warranty, they should replace it for you, or at least send it back to shure for you, 1000times out of 1000.
 
Nov 15, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 35

jinx20001

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Posts
2,639
Likes
20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been a bit lax on sending them back, admittedly,- sending them off Monday- but my quality control failure was regarding the rubber guard on my right earpiece coming loose. Shure said they would replace the whole unit. Just gotta send it off to them now. Out of interest, should Shure/the manufacturer be covering my shipping costs to send the faulty unit back to them? Being an item of its size (the product package is a chunky cube) and value I'm probably looking at a special delivery charge assigned to it on my end which is approx 5 or 6 pounds. Not exactly pennys. Is it on me or the manufacturer to cover this?


mine cost just under 7 pound for recorded and insured delievery from birmingham. its worth it because if the package gets lost the insured cover covers you for £500, so yeh you do have to pay to send them off, but not to get em back ofcourse.

it will be cheaper if you dont have the insurance option but the post office will advise you cover the delivery.
 
Nov 15, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 35

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 14, 2008
Posts
1,794
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mine cost just under 7 pound for recorded and insured delievery from birmingham. its worth it because if the package gets lost the insured cover covers you for £500, so yeh you do have to pay to send them off, but not to get em back ofcourse.

it will be cheaper if you dont have the insurance option but the post office will advise you cover the delivery.



Thanks for that insight jinx20001.
beerchug.gif


Yeah, it does make sense to take that option. My quibble was just that, if the product has failed where it shouldn't have ie of no fault of my own, should I be paying this postage cost or not? I know it makes sense to do it but the question I had was really over whether I could rightfully request reimbursement of this fee because the reason I am sending the item off is not for fault of my own so surely I shouldn't be out of pocket for it. Just putting it out there to see what others thoughts on this were really. Theres no harm in asking this of Shure I suppose, either way. I have an argument for it so why not present it and see what Shure's response is? I think I'll do that.
tongue.gif
 
Nov 15, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 35

jinx20001

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Posts
2,639
Likes
20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that insight jinx20001.
beerchug.gif


Yeah, it does make sense to take that option. My quibble was just that, if the product has failed where it shouldn't have ie of no fault of my own, should I be paying this postage cost or not? I know it makes sense to do it but the question I had was really over whether I could rightfully request reimbursement of this fee because the reason I am sending the item off is not for fault of my own so surely I shouldn't be out of pocket for it. Just putting it out there to see what others thoughts on this were really. Theres no harm in asking this of Shure I suppose, either way. I have an argument for it so why not present it and see what Shure's response is? I think I'll do that.
tongue.gif



you may aswell try, but whats a fiver if they sort you out with a brand new set of phones. a fiver to get them to shure is not a lot for them to ask if you want them changed, and they will change them, they hardly ever repair. so think of it this way, your getting a fresh new cable, fresh drivers with no wear or use and some new tips, all of this for a fiver...not bad. if they were just gonna repair them and leave you with the same drivers and cable then it may be worth asking.

must say shure distribution uk's service is top notch. i sent mine off and had a brand new set to me within 4 working days. i was amazed and impressed, i wasnt going to argue about a fiver lol but yeh no harm in trying eh
beerchug.gif


EDIT: out of interest whats the cable code on yours, the OP seems to not be interested in commenting for some reason
 
Nov 15, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 35

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 14, 2008
Posts
1,794
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you may aswell try, but whats a fiver if they sort you out with a brand new set of phones. a fiver to get them to shure is not a lot for them to ask if you want them changed, and they will change them, they hardly ever repair. so think of it this way, your getting a fresh new cable, fresh drivers with no wear or use and some new tips, all of this for a fiver...not bad. if they were just gonna repair them and leave you with the same drivers and cable then it may be worth asking.

must say shure distribution uk's service is top notch. i sent mine off and had a brand new set to me within 4 working days. i was amazed and impressed, i wasnt going to argue about a fiver lol but yeh no harm in trying eh
beerchug.gif


EDIT: out of interest whats the cable code on yours, the OP seems to not be interested in commenting for some reason



Yeah, I can see and relate to that logic and slant of looking at it. I think my cash shortage at the minute biases my thinking
tongue.gif
. Still, I can give it a shot, as you say.

Cable code? I'd have to dig em out to give it a look. Can't recall from memory, even though that information was requested of me from the Shure represenative I spoke to over the phone. I'll feedback with that in a minute...

Ok, gave that quick look and it's 1098
 
Nov 15, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #13 of 35

jinx20001

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Posts
2,639
Likes
20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I can see and relate to that logic and slant of looking at it. I think my cash shortage at the minute biases my thinking
tongue.gif
. Still, I can give it a shot, as you say.

Cable code? I'd have to dig em out to give it a look. Can't recall from memory, even though that information was requested of me from the Shure represenative I spoke to over the phone. I'll feedback with that in a minute...

Ok, give that quick look and it's 1098



ok thats odd, wonder why they would ask...
 
Nov 15, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 35

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 14, 2008
Posts
1,794
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok thats odd, wonder why they would ask...


How do you decifer the code again?

How come you find that odd? I assumed when it was asked of me that they were a) checking on record the sale of my particular unit and b) when this model was manufactured ie to help determine the warranty validity, batch/era of model etc.
 
Nov 15, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 35

jinx20001

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Posts
2,639
Likes
20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you decifer the code again?

How come you find that odd? I assumed when it was asked of me that they were a) checking on record the sale of my particular unit and b) when this model was manufactured ie to help determine the warranty validity, batch/era of model etc.



yeh the code is basically this, the first 3 digits is the day, the last is the year, mine is 1658, so mine were made on the 165th day of 2008. yours again is made in 2008 so should be the up to date cable. but yeh your right they probably wanna see if your still in warranty. and as they were made in 08 you certainly are.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top