SE530/535 Acoustic Filter Mod: More SQ improvement than cables? Dampers!
Jun 30, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #286 of 590
A minute dab of white glue along the sides of the bore & filter should keep them in while still being removable. My old pair of 535's had quite a loose fit with the filters, whereas my new pair is a very very snug fit.

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #288 of 590
The knowles dampers sits looser in one of my IEM's but sits perfectly in the other one. This is just the way it is. There might have been some glue on the original filters and some of it was left behind in one of them but in the other one it was mostly removed. Not really sure about that but It's not so loose it'll just fall out. So It's not really a problem for me. But I did notice how ever the more I would change and fiddle with the different dampers.. The looser the fit would be in one of my IEM's. So keep that in mind... Constantly changing the filters might result in a looser fit.

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #289 of 590
Mine isn't so loose it will fall out really, and it affects one side more than the other. Basically I was removing the wire from one of the buds and the damper shot across the room from the force of it. Or if I give it a strong tap it will pop out. It's loose enough I won't wear tips that don't have a wax guard, which is disappointing to me. I've using the white dampers now and prefer them to the greys now. I think I should have just left my se535 alone because I won't be able to resell them now and I prefer the white damper sound anyways.

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #290 of 590
  Mine isn't so loose it will fall out really, and it affects one side more than the other. Basically I was removing the wire from one of the buds and the damper shot across the room from the force of it. Or if I give it a strong tap it will pop out. It's loose enough I won't wear tips that don't have a wax guard, which is disappointing to me. I've using the white dampers now and prefer them to the greys now. I think I should have just left my se535 alone because I won't be able to resell them now and I prefer the white damper sound anyways.

I don't think there will be any problem reselling them if that is what you want (as long as you didn't break any thing other than just removing the original dampers). You can get the original waxguards/dampers from shure but I think the white knowles ones are better and probably allot cheaper. Just enjoy them whit the white knowles dampers and maybe get a nice amp for them. I can recommend the O2, very cheap and sounds really good with IEM's like the se535. If one of the dampers is very loose I would try to add a very thin layer of hot glue from a glue gun and let it dry (Id use like a toothpick or something to smear it on). That should add a little bit of thickness to it and if it is too thick just shave a little bit off with a razer. Just an idea you might want to try.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #291 of 590
Hello all,

on tuesday I found this really really great thread and read it completely, some minutes ago I listened with the brown (1000 Ohm), white (680 Ohm) and grey (330 Ohm) filters.

And, as said before, the brown ones create huge bass, but the mids and especially the highs suffer. Bass is more and deeper, but for me simply too much.

The grey ones are in my opinion too thin, clarity and highs are very good, but the lack of bass isn't that fun. That's what I think make them exhausting and a little unpleasant.

After 5 minutes I knew I am going to use the white ones. Compared to the stock filter, the knowles filter (from mouser, shipping to Germany (for $20) in 3 days!! ) sound better. They create a larger sound stage and perform better in highs. I listened to a song with acoustic guitars, one side stock and one side knowles filter. With the knowles filter there is a little more at about 6-8kHz, it sounds closer and bigger and has more attack. Really great!
I will have to enjoy the white filters for a while to say more.

I am using the SE535 for about a year now, often with my Galaxy S4 (poweramp, usually with the fiio E6) and sometimes with my Nuforce µDac2 via computer (asio+foobar). I also use them for home recording and mixing.I think my ears and my brain are well acclimaized to the SE535 so differences are quickly noticed.

I have made a video getting the stock filter out and the new one in, for everyone who is not shure about the modification. It's easy to do. I simply used a small screwdriver (like those that come together with kits for display or battery replacement for smartphones/ipods) to loosen the old filter, then with a needle pulled it out (didn't break). With tweezers I can now put in and take out the filters, even if they are at their deepest position.
Together with pictures I will upload it maybe on sunday.

Btw: my filters pop in nicely and remain there tight.

Edit:
The Video is online. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtkIIb489O4

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #292 of 590
  Hello all,

on tuesday I found this really really great thread and read it completely, some minutes ago I listened with the brown (1000 Ohm), white (680 Ohm) and grey (330 Ohm) filters.

And, as said before, the brown ones create huge bass, but the mids and especially the highs suffer. Bass is more and deeper, but for me simply too much.

The grey ones are in my opinion too thin, clarity and highs are very good, but the lack of bass isn't that fun. That's what I think make them exhausting and a little unpleasant.

After 5 minutes I knew I am going to use the white ones. Compared to the stock filter, the knowles filter (from mouser, shipping to Germany (for $20) in 3 days!! ) sound better. They create a larger sound stage and perform better in highs. I listened to a song with acoustic guitars, one side stock and one side knowles filter. With the knowles filter there is a little more at about 6-8kHz, it sounds closer and bigger and has more attack. Really great!
I will have to enjoy the white filters for a while to say more.

I am using the SE535 for about a year now, often with my Galaxy S4 (poweramp, usually with the fiio E6) and sometimes with my Nuforce µDac2 via computer (asio+foobar). I also use them for home recording and mixing.I think my ears and my brain are well acclimaized to the SE535 so differences are quickly noticed.

I have made a video getting the stock filter out and the new one in, for everyone who is not shure about the modification. It's easy to do. I simply used a small screwdriver (like those that come together with kits for display or battery replacement for smartphones/ipods) to loosen the old filter, then with a needle pulled it out (didn't break). With tweezers I can now put in and take out the filters, even if they are at their deepest position.

Edit:

Thanks a lot for your useful video 

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #293 of 590
 Today morning i just received after about a month of waiting ... finally i received 2 pairs of dampers : Grey & Green and the other 2 dampers : Brown & red didn't came for some screw** reason !!! ( from digikey )

any way .... both of the green and gray are awesome ... i love both 
L3000.gif
 .... at least for now 

the grey ones offers better treble extension and air  ... and some volume steps saved 

the green offers better and fuller bass than both stock and Grey ones ... recessed mids and lower highs .. the upper highs are present and clear ... very smooth and creamy sound but as a downside needs more volume and power to shine .. fortunately my player ( Fiio x3 ) is plenty powerful so i don't bother....

both filters offers better clarity and sound than the stock one ( keep in mind that green need more power to shine )
CHEEEEERS
beerchug.gif

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #294 of 590

Edit:

Is there really a "correct" orientation for the filter?

I ask this as I put mine in opposite of what is shown in the above video ... in other words ... I inserted mine with the screen side up instead of down ... 

Just curious if anyone has determined whether it makes any difference or not ...

.joel

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #295 of 590
I haven't tried it yet, but I guess there will be no difference. Since the air is moving back and forth, it wouldn't be good at all if one direction is handled another way than the other. A positive half-wave of the audiosignal would then sound different to the negative half-wave and vice versa.
In the video I put it with the filter downwards in because it is easier to get it out again without damaging the mesh.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #296 of 590

Is there really a "correct" orientation for the filter?

I ask this as I put mine in opposite of what is shown in the above video ... in other words ... I inserted mine with the screen side up instead of down ... 

Just curious if anyone has determined whether it makes any difference or not ...

.joel

In terms of sound, no difference whatsoever.

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #297 of 590
I currently own the Se535 LtdJ, is there a difference between the grey filters used in knowles and the ones used in the red Shure? As inside in the knowles it is made of metal, and it seems metal tubes are superior as seen in the fit ear 334 To Go. Also would that be the reason why the knowles white filter sounds better than the white filter used in the stock normal 535? Many thanks.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #298 of 590
  I currently own the Se535 LtdJ, is there a difference between the grey filters used in knowles and the ones used in the red Shure? As inside in the knowles it is made of metal, and it seems metal tubes are superior as seen in the fit ear 334 To Go. Also would that be the reason why the knowles white filter sounds better than the white filter used in the stock normal 535? Many thanks.

Technically, since the grey filter from knowles and Shure have the same resistence, there shouldn't be any sonic difference. If you hear anything, either you got a wrong damper or is just placebo. 

And about 334. It's the sound tubes that is metal, not the sound filters. Tubes are different from filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back