SE530/535 Acoustic Filter Mod: More SQ improvement than cables? Dampers!
May 8, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #451 of 590
  So there is nothing stopping debris from entering the drivers?

That shouldn't be the case, unless they sold you a faulty(or in this case, a pair with missing parts) IEMs.

The filter system on SE line is different from that of Etys. I don't think Shure will recommend that you pull out the filter. The filters in them are semi-permanent for the average user.

I'm using the Shure Black Foam Olives which have a wax guard so they should be okay but I'm not sure why the internal filters are not there - I bought them second hand off ebay a few weeks ago. They sound okay but I have noticed some pretty shrill highs and it's only after reading this thread that I've become aware that there should be filters there.  I'm really looking forward to hearing what difference they make.

The point I'm making by comparing the Shures with the Etys is that it's perfectly normal to change the filters on the Etys quite regularly and this invariably completely refreshes the sound - just like you'd expect the difference to be be when the sound isn't having to permeate a layer of wax.  The Etys sit deeper in the ear canal so may be more prone to wax build up but I'd be surprised if the Shure filters didn't gradually clog up with wax so that any replacement is likely to enhance the sound?

May 14, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #453 of 590
My brown filters arrived yesterday from Mouser.  The postage cost for these is very high and delivery had been attempted the previous day but they wouldn't fit through the letterbox.  Can you believe it?  These tiny little things packaged in a large cardboard box that won't fit through a letterbox.  Absurd.

First impressions are that they do significantly increase the base, but possibly have an overall muffling effect, but too early to say anything with certainty.

May 15, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #454 of 590
  My brown filters arrived yesterday from Mouser.  The postage cost for these is very high and delivery had been attempted the previous day but they wouldn't fit through the letterbox.  Can you believe it?  These tiny little things packaged in a large cardboard box that won't fit through a letterbox.  Absurd.

First impressions are that they do significantly increase the base, but possibly have an overall muffling effect, but too early to say anything with certainty.

i love the browns ... i switch between browns and grey from time to time 

May 19, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #457 of 590
Extremely pleased to have tried this rather simple modification.

Recently had Right Side MMCX connector break and paid Shure for replacement IEM also Peter at DHC was making me a new cable.

Stumbled upon this Acoustic Filter Mod while reading through the many pages in the SE846 impressions thread.

I am enjoying the Brown Knowles Filters.

As previously mentioned: I believe the white Knowles sound better than the Stock filters due to metal vs plastic construction.

My lefy SE535 is old 2012 and when I pulled the stock filter out it had a split in the middle. (Would have never noticed it.)

New Replacement Right Side seemed to have a small dab of glue and the filter got destroyed during removal.

Thanks for ever most useful thread and the accompanying videos and links.

Very pleased at the moment.

(Now to send in my old SCL2 & SE210 to get exchanged for SE215's)

May 25, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #458 of 590
I broke one of the dampers in my SE315's, and my hunt for a solution led me to this forum. I have since ordered, and received, the brown knowles dampers (1000ohm), which fit perfectly. They have made a substantial difference in overall quality, I'm glad I found this thread!

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #459 of 590
Like many head-fiers, I stumbled upon this thread. Ordered several pairs of various filters (grey, brown, white) and couldn't wait to try them all. 
Thank you all for sharing the great information.

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #461 of 590
Finally got round to swapping out the brown filters to try the grey.  I had a bit of a job getting the brown ones out and had to resort to bending the tip of a needle into a hook to get under the inside lip of the filter.

My first impressions are that a like the grey ones more than the brown.  As others have said, they do sound brighter, but there's no sibilance. There's better instrument separation and the bass is better defined than the browns.  Yes, more analytical than the browns but still very musical.  Overall, a fresher and more engaging sound to these ears.

Each to their own though; we all have our preferred sound signature.

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #462 of 590
After hearing grey,white,brown and green over a period of 20 months switching countless times,the whites are the best.They retain the stock sound but improve everything that tiny bit,a littler clearer and more detailed,a little deeper bass although slightly less coloured/more neutral than stock.With everything else there were compromises that couldn't be tolerated for a $500 iem whether the muffled/veiled sound of brown/green despite the warmth and increased lows or the too bright and overly edgy highs of grey and insufficient bass despite the clarity.

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #463 of 590
I change between the white and brown, just for fun, and still love my E500 (aka SE530) with both filters, sometimes it depends what mood I am in  
L3000.gif

I am about to buy some SE535's, so will probably have Knowles White in those, and keep the Browns in the SE530's  -  and that will stop me changing out the filters all the time ! 

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #464 of 590
Try greys and greens .. I found that greens are awesome paired with the flat boring output of iPods .. They are really great and planning to get some .... Now using and living the greys as all my favorite sources are warm and lush sounding by default

Users who are viewing this thread

Back