SE530/535 Acoustic Filter Mod: More SQ improvement than cables? Dampers!
Jun 25, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #271 of 590
1 - you can use the foam ones
2 - apply a little eq ...it won't hurt so much if you use it wisely
3 - try if you could the white and brown filters ...i guess their removal is easier than the stock ones
4 -BTW . I guess it is time for a DAC/amp option .... You will be happy with the C5D the best transparency and neutrality in its price ... Digital volume control for better balance ... And the more important for you the best bass boost implemented in an amp with 2 steps and recommended to me by a lot of headfirs for my shures ...

Wait the westone tips ... And have your time with all that stuff ... Then you can decide if you want to go with the dac/amp option

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #273 of 590
1 - you can use the foam ones
2 - apply a little eq ...it won't hurt so much if you use it wisely
3 - try if you could the white and brown filters ...i guess their removal is easier than the stock ones
4 -BTW . I guess it is time for a DAC/amp option .... You will be happy with the C5D the best transparency and neutrality in its price ... Digital volume control for better balance ... And the more important for you the best bass boost implemented in an amp with 2 steps and recommended to me by a lot of headfirs for my shures ...

Wait the westone tips ... And have your time with all that stuff ... Then you can decide if you want to go with the dac/amp option

That C5D looks very tempting and I may buy one of those regardless, I will try the other dampers tonight and see how much treble I lose with each, then try the large foamies. Amazon has dispatched my stars so they should be here soon.

Anyone tried installing the filters the other way round? I did read on this thread that it didnt make any difference to SQ but just want to doubly confirm.  Thanks for the Amp recommend it really does look superb.

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #275 of 590
I use the grey dampers as well and have for a few weeks now. I started off using higher dampers (I think I started with the reds or browns but can't remember. Whichever was one up from stock) but they were too muddy for me. I decided recently to just boost the bass EQ in USB Audio Player (I use my SE535 mostly with it now). No matter what the SE535 are a bit light on bass probably. I love the detail with the greys (hearing the pluck/vibration of the bass strings is really nice). With other dampers I don't feel the bass is really made much deeper. It's more like everything becomes muffled instead. I just boost the lowest two bass settings of eq in USB audio player and just leave everything else alone. I think it sounds pretty nice this way but I need to experiment a bit more. It's nice to have a balance of bass and detail but with other dampers you lose a lot of detail and it becomes muddy IMO.

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #276 of 590
Yes, I fully agree.

All though I have been using the white knowles dampers for a while now and I find them to be the best suited for me and also better than the stock ones. I really liked the detail of the grey ones but I found them to be a little fatiguing when listening for longer periods of time. The brown ones like I said before are not my taste, I like a clear and detailed sound signature rather then a boomy muddy one. I prefer warm sound over cold and analytical but not if it is at cost of to much detail and clarity. Imo this is what the white knowles dampers do, they combine the nice clarity of the greys with a bit of the warmth of the browns without losing to much of that nice detail. But you will pick up more microdynamics with the greys. They just seem to pick up that extra bit of background detail that you normally don't hear. Rougher sounding and less musical than the white knowles though... Which in the end made the choice pretty easy.

I also suspect this is very dependent of what kind of seal your getting as well. If you're not getting a full seal I can see how the brown dampers would sound better.

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #277 of 590
  Yes, I fully agree.

All though I have been using the white knowles dampers for a while now and I find them to be the best suited for me and also better than the stock ones. I really liked the detail of the grey ones but I found them to be a little fatiguing when listening for longer periods of time. The brown ones like I said before are not my taste, I like a clear and detailed sound signature rather then a boomy muddy one. I prefer warm sound over cold and analytical but not if it is at cost of to much detail and clarity. Imo this is what the white knowles dampers do, they combine the nice clarity of the greys with a bit of the warmth of the browns without losing to much of that nice detail. But you will pick up more microdynamics with the greys. They just seem to pick up that extra bit of background detail that you normally don't hear. Rougher sounding and less musical than the white knowles though... Which in the end made the choice pretty easy.

I also suspect this is very dependent of what kind of seal your getting as well. If you're not getting a full seal I can see how the brown dampers would sound better.

I've been using the white filters too ... about three months now. Closest approximation to the stock Shure filters but I still think the white Knowles filters are more detailed than the stock Shures ... highs/mids/bass seem to be better and more clearly separated with the white Knowles than with the stock Shures ... took some getting used to at first but now I love them ... 

Jun 27, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #278 of 590
I've been using the grey dampers for about a month now. I switched them out with the white ones recently and will give them a long listen for the next few weeks. I listened to a few songs yesterday and the white dampers sound much more natural and pleasing at first than the grey ones but there is also a boomy quality to them as well that bugs me just slightly. Bass is more pronounced over the greys for sure. It would be nice to have the detail of the grey dampers and a bit thicker bass (with the greys I finally started using EQ on the bass but thought better of that and switched to the whites).

Jun 27, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #279 of 590

That could be true. I was using the medium foam tips for the longest time and now I use large size comply tips. The sound is definitely more shrill if it's they don't fill your ear canal entirely.

My only problem with this mod is that my dampers are loose in mine, so I have to use tips with wax guards. I'd prefer to use the yellow shure foam tips (they sound the best to me) but I'm not taking any chances with the damper popping out in my ear.

Jun 27, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #280 of 590
My dampers seem to fit quite snug luckily. I am still using the greys and an app called Noozxoide to warm up the base a little. Im not getting a good seal but my new tips should arrive today and that may negate the need to bring up the base via software. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back