SDXC FAT32 size problems
Dec 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

suicidal_orange

500+ Head-Fier
I'm having a weird problem with a 128gb SDXC which I've formatted to FAT32 using the HP tool.  The problem is it's making a partition bigger than the card actually is - it claims to have 128.7gb free space when really it should be around 125 (allowing for the 1000/1024 thing)

I have resized the partition down to 120gb, filled it and verified the contents so it's not a fake card, but as soon as I resize the partition the card wont work in my Tera Player!

Can anyone offer any advice?

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 3
Don't use the HP tool, use the SD Formatter tool from the SD Association. There are versions for Windows and Mac OS X: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4

When you run the tool select the option to let it resize and let it do everything automatically. It will create an exFAT file system and a small amount of free space before and after that file system, just a few MB each side.

Now you can use another tool to convert the exFAT file system to FAT32 (or whatever you prefer). But do not try to "reclaim" the tiny amount of free space at the beginning and end. It is not wasted space - the card has been partitioned so that the file system begins and ends on a cylinder boundary so you get the best performance and reliability.

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 3
Don't use the HP tool, use the SD Formatter tool from the SD Association. There are versions for Windows and Mac OS X: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4

When you run the tool select the option to let it resize and let it do everything automatically. It will create an exFAT file system and a small amount of free space before and after that file system, just a few MB each side.

Now you can use another tool to convert the exFAT file system to FAT32 (or whatever you prefer). But do not try to "reclaim" the tiny amount of free space at the beginning and end. It is not wasted space - the card has been partitioned so that the file system begins and ends on a cylinder boundary so you get the best performance and reliability.

Thanks - I'll give that a go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back