" Scratchy " noise in Grado SR-125 earcup.
Jul 20, 2005 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mtkversion

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I recently traded a pair of headphones to get some Grado SR-125.

They worked great for the past week or so that I've had them. But tonight I noticed that the right ear-cup has a very noticeable " scratchy " sound. Anyone have an idea of what it might be? It is faint in some songs then completely annoying in others.

I've babied them since I've got them, listened at reasonable levels?

Is the driver busted?

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:01 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion
Hi everyone,

I recently traded a pair of headphones to get some Grado SR-125.

They worked great for the past week or so that I've had them. But tonight I noticed that the right ear-cup has a very noticeable " scratchy " sound. Anyone have an idea of what it might be? It is faint in some songs then completely annoying in others.

I've babied them since I've got them, listened at reasonable levels?

Is the driver busted?

A hair could have found it's way into the housing. Take off any pads that are attached and blow firmly into the driver (i blow from the non mesh/button side, the side that faces your ear). See if this clears it up. If they've been working fine for a week already i have no reason to suspect sketcht build quality. It's most likely just a case of the grado grattle..

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire
A hair could have found it's way into the housing. Take off any pads that are attached and blow firmly into the driver (i blow from the non mesh/button side, the side that faces your ear). See if this clears it up. If they've been working fine for a week already i have no reason to suspect sketcht build quality. It's most likely just a case of the grado grattle..

Likely the problem

if it is the problem and blowing it doesn't help, rest assured that it's quite possible to open the housing up and manually remove the hair

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 15
I had a problem with my sideburns poking through the mesh and touching the driver. Ive since shaved them off.

Jul 22, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 15
Well after a few days, the sound has worsened.

I blew into the drivers/button side a few times and that didn't clear anything up.

The sound out of the right earcup has dropped to a rattling noise. Nothing like that fun exciting sound I was enjoying just a week ago
frown.gif

Are there any instructions somewhere on how to open up the earcup? I don't want to butcher anything.

Thanks for all the help by the way, been a busy week at work
frown.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #7 of 15
there is, i think there's a modding guide at headwize... I just opened some SR-60's today, and what i did was blew a hairdryer at the cup to soften the glue up (this is after detaching it, just open up the "C" that holds the driver housing in place). You can use the blowdryer in each spot around the cup for about 15 seconds. This'll soften up the glue sufficiently. Take a kitchen fork with a tapered handle (thin to thick) and wedge it (the handle) from the thinnest point into the groove going around the cup. Hold the cup in your non dominant hand, and use your dominant thumb to hold the fork in place. Place the butt of the fork on a table, and slide the cup, holding the fork in place, downwards towards the thick taper. You might hear a little crackling as the glue separates, but be assured this is normal. You might have to repeat this a few times around the perimiter of the cup, so you may have to reheat.

Edit: found the guide if you need pictures
http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...=grado_prj.htm

i believe if you do a search a member here has made pictures, too

Jul 22, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #8 of 15
I've had that problem on my SR60's, and when it wasn't a simple hair or dust or whatever, I had to send them in for repair, and this was because the driver was actually dying on me. I think the voice coil or diaprhagm might have been fried or something. Luckily, this has only happened once, and the only other issue with my SR60's- a headphone jack intermittency issue, was corrected easily by DIY. My SR60's are now better than they've ever been, since they are now serviceable, as in the new jack can be unscrewed and repaired if necessary, and I won't have to pay $25 to have it done.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #10 of 15
you should just send the cans back to grado to get it fixed. It doesn't cost that much and a guarenteed job well done. why risk it by DIY?

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
you should just send the cans back to grado to get it fixed. It doesn't cost that much and a guarenteed job well done. why risk it by DIY?

I think it depends on the issue. If your headphone plug goes kaput, do DIY, hell, put on balanced XLR's if you can amp them that way! But of course, there's things that only Grado can handle, like dying or dead drivers, replacement of headbands, stuff like that. So it's probably best to review the issue and then determine the optimal remedy for the situation.
biggrin.gif
Abe

Jul 23, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 15
it could be "grado grattle". open the cup & look at the clear plastic transducers. look for indentation(s) like an eraser sized dimple. if so, suck it out. that may work or you may need to send them in. if you notice it with bass it is very likely "grado grattle". i have had the problem on a few occassions when i lent the cans to basshead junior.

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #13 of 15
First off, let me apologize for being an idiot.

Ends up the headphones are fine, one of the RCA plugs in my stereo was sort of loose
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
. A firm replug and everything is back to normal. If any of you actually spent energy and effort in assisting me, again I apologize
biggrin.gif

Hopefully this has happened to someone in the past and can understand the dumbassedness that I'm feeling right now.

I was worrying for a few days on being without these new Grados plunked on my head each night but all that is gone now. Back to these headphones and some music. ..
rs1smile.gif

Secondly, I need to stop smoking so much.
blink.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #14 of 15
Hey, no problem here, bro-everybody feels like a dumbass sometimes(see my avatar then the guy named in sug-FUNNY and DUMB). And you keep on them 'herbal remedies'. It makes music an even better experience, IMO
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

5000smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back