Scratched my hi-fi itch today...
Feb 25, 2006 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ticky

1000+ Head-Fier
Yes... and now I have a wallet that is ~$650 lighter, and a grin on my face.
biggrin.gif

This afternoon the idea "just" popped into my head to upgrade my parent's living room stereo.

They have this large 32" TV and a tiny Sony Mini system to play their DVDs on. Needless to say, I've never approved of that purchase - which only happed because I was studying abroad and could not have prevented it.

Anways, so I was driving to the shopping area to pick up groceries today. Planned budget - $1.50 for milk and bread. (I live in Thailand, food is cheap.)

Unfortunately, I passed by an audio store along the way.

After half an hour, I staggered out with one NAD 320BEE integrated amp, one pair of Wharfdale Diamonds 9.1, 6 meters of Monster cables speaker cables, and a Philip DVD player.
tongue.gif

Oh yeah... I even managed to remember to buy the milk and bread.

That'll be the last time my mom ever ask me to go buy groceries for her.

But, man, it felt DAMN good.

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 12
Those Wharfedales are a good buy. I was surprised at their sound for the cost and size of them.

They even work really well on extremely expensive amps too. Very surprising.

Ian

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
$650? That's a pretty good deal. Congratulations!

my thought exactly. Maybe audio equipment is just cheaper in Thailand?

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 12
That is cheap. But I guess if they priced equipment similiar to costs here in the US, I dont know many people who have the funds and means to purchase them.

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 12
Does that NAD have a headphone jack? Some of the older models have pretty good ones.

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 12
Ticky: You're a good son. Personally, I'm currently pondering either a laptop upgrade or a media center pc for my parents.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Ticky: You're a good son. Personally, I'm currently pondering either a laptop upgrade or a media center pc for my parents.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

It's called vested interest. I'm hoping that they'll catch a bit of the audio bug, and then don't frown on my spending money on this hobby so much.
biggrin.gif

Hmm... I was thinking that you might be able to buy audio stuff cheaper in the US with the proliferation of internet sites. Here in Thailand, some stuff still get a hefty import duty. But, the Wharfedales are now made in Malaysia (ASEAN preferential rates) and the NAD is made in China.

Let's see if I can break down the cost:

NAD 320BEE - 14,500 Baht = $353
Diamond 9.1 - 8,000 baht = $195
Philips DAD (forgot model no.) - 2,500 Baht = $60
Monster cable - 1,400 baht = $34

Total $643.

IMO, that should be around the same price as the US. I think I got a good deal - with exception of the Monster cables, which, now that I about it, were a tad expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back