Scratched CD's or DVD's? Interesting product may fix them...
Apr 1, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 18
Save $495 and just get a bottle of Meguiar's Plastic Polish and a soft rag.

See ya
Steve

Apr 1, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 18
$500?!?!?
rolleyes.gif

Here's a far cheaper option:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

Works great.

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
$500?!?!?
rolleyes.gif

Here's a far cheaper option:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

Works great.

I have one of those...it works ok, but not great. You'll also probably be unable to resell the cds used after using it. It leaves a distinctive finish.

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 18
That's a crapload of money. But then again I guess I agree with the reviewer: If you have a lot of scratched CDs, this investment might be very much worth it.

You'd have to have a LOT of damaged CDs though.

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 18
$495 does sound like a lot of money, but I've never found a reliable scratch repair kit anywhere else. I've spent at least $125 on various repair kits over the years that have varied from decent to garbage.

Look at it this way: if you have at least 500 CDs in your collection, then that's $1 or less per CD to be able to correct any damaged discs. From the pics, this thing appears to work wonders.

Anybody want to be the first Head-Fier to try it out and report back?

Apr 3, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
I have one of those...it works ok, but not great. You'll also probably be unable to resell the cds used after using it. It leaves a distinctive finish.

You're not gonna be able to resell CDs that are scratched all to hell either.

Even if the machine the OP listed restores a CD to brand-new condition, you'd have to unload a heck of a lot of 'em to recoup your $500 investment.

Apr 3, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #8 of 18
Apr 3, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Even if the machine the OP listed restores a CD to brand-new condition, you'd have to unload a heck of a lot of 'em to recoup your $500 investment.

Yes, and if someone is willing to fix enough CD's and then sell them to make back their investment then this is the product for them. This is also the product for people who want to bring their CD's to (what appears to be) like-new condition and for whom are willing to pay $500 to do so. Its pretty obvious that there are cheaper ways to polish CD's so they are playable again but this particular product does seem to do the best job of it of any product I have seen. I'm not saying it's undoubtedly worth the money, thats something each person has to decide for themselves.

Apr 3, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 18
I can see music appreciation clubs buying one of these to use. Or libraries. Libraries really need CD polishing/fixing/de-scratching machines. They often have amazing collections, but often, the most popular CDs are really scratched.

Apr 3, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by IronLion
Yes, and if someone is willing to fix enough CD's and then sell them to make back their investment then this is the product for them. This is also the product for people who want to bring their CD's to (what appears to be) like-new condition and for whom are willing to pay $500 to do so. Its pretty obvious that there are cheaper ways to polish CD's so they are playable again but this particular product does seem to do the best job of it of any product I have seen. I'm not saying it's undoubtedly worth the money, thats something each person has to decide for themselves.

So you've actually seen this device work? You've seen it restore a badly scratched CD to as-new condition? I'm asking because if it cannot do that then it isn't worth the asking price IMO. And you're not affiliated with the manufacturer of this device at all, right? Because the above post sounds suspiciously like sly marketing to me.
icon10.gif

Sovkiller's solution looks like a sure-fire bet.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 18
I see it as an investment in your music collection. Just like the folks who are into vinyl who spend $250-500 or more for record cleaning machines. As long as you have a decent sized collection of CDs and DVDs, the cost per disc is not that high.

In a few months (I have more pressing things to spend $495 on at present) I will probably buy one.

As to Sovkiller's link, if you have enough discs in need of this kind of repair, you would end up spending the cost of this machine anyway, so why not cut out the middleman?

I am not affiliated with the product in any way.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeJayBump
In a few months (I have more pressing things to spend $495 on at present) I will probably buy one.

Please let us know your impressions of it if and when you buy one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeJayBump
As to Sovkiller's link, if you have enough discs in need of this kind of repair, you would end up spending the cost of this machine anyway, so why not cut out the middleman?

That's assuming the Disc-Go-Pod Plus produces the same results as the service Sovkiller mentioned.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

So you've actually seen this device work? You've seen it restore a badly scratched CD to as-new condition? I'm asking because if it cannot do that then it isn't worth the asking price IMO. And you're not affiliated with the manufacturer of this device at all, right? Because the above post sounds suspiciously like sly marketing to me.
icon10.gif

Sovkiller's solution looks like a sure-fire bet.

Haven't seen it work so I'm just taking the reviewer's word here. And no, I'm not affiliated with the manufacturer, at least in any traceable way...Sovkiller's solution looks like a good way to do the same thing but again, some people may prefer cutting out the middleman as the post above says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back