Scott Walker: The Drift, CD release count down
Mar 28, 2006 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

aaroncort

Banned
Is anybody else really looking forward to this CD that is slated to be released sometime in May? I'm very new to scott walker's work and so far have only heard Tilt and Climate of Hunter and love bother of those albums very much. Tilt, in my books for whatever its worth, is about as good as the experience of music gets for me. If I had to get rid of all but 20 of my CDs, I'd with out a doubt take both of those Scott Walker CDs.

So at the most this album is only 2 months away and I'm chomping at the bit get my greedy little mitts on it. I'm sure however that the two other CD's I have will keep me occupied till The Drift is realeased. I also have is earlier albums which I hear are quite good, although different from his last two releases to listen to between now and then.

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Is anybody else really looking forward to this CD that is slated to be released sometime in May?

That would be me.
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 14
Yeah, should be interesting. Don't know if you saw the rest of the news, but Stephen Kijak talked him into filming a documentary while he was working on the album, and they're still in production shooting a ton of interviews. I guess David Bowie fronted the cash as he's executive producer and the producer from 24 Hour Party People is involved too. Should be a good one - pretty big cast of contributors ...

Scott Walker: 30 Century Man (2006)

Cast (in alphabetical order)
Damon Albarn
Dot Allison
Marc Almond
David Bates
Ed Bicknell
David Bowie
Al Clark
Jarvis Cocker
Cathal Coughlan
Rob Ellis
Brian Eno
Gavin Friday
Brian Gascoigne
Alison Goldfrapp
Colin Greenwood
Jonny Greenwood
Neil Hannon
Richard Hawley
Ute Lemper
Lulu
Dave MacRae
Johnny Marr
Angela Morley
Ed O'Brien
Peter Olliff
Evan Parker
Simon Raymonde
Sting
Scott Walker
Peter Walsh
Hector Zazou

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 14
Yeah I did happen to read that there was going to be a documentory released sometime this year as well. I'm greatly looking forward to it. That is indeed an interesting roster of contributors. It should be very fascinating to watch and learn more about Scott and his work.

Did any of you see the documentory of Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot titled "I'm trying to break your heart"? I really enjoyed that one.

Mar 31, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 14
P.S. I finally got a chance to sit down and listen to the recently released remaster of Climate of Hunter, Scott's mid-80's album. Simon Heyworth, who's done great work with Scott's catalog in the past and on many other artist's catalogs, did a typically excellent job on this. It's yards ahead of the original CD, cuts through the murk and fog and reveals this album as the haunted, glacial masterpiece it is. It's like hearing it all over gain for the first time. Master's theses could be written about this album and especially Tilt. Well done!

Mar 31, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
P.S. I finally got a chance to sit down and listen to the recently released remaster of Climate of Hunter, Scott's mid-80's album. Simon Heyworth, who's done great work with Scott's catalog in the past and on many other artist's catalogs, did a typically excellent job on this. It's yards ahead of the original CD, cuts through the murk and fog and reveals this album as the haunted, glacial masterpiece it is. It's like hearing it all over gain for the first time. Master's theses could be written about this album and especially Tilt. Well done!

I just actually ordered this CD last week. Its copyright date was this year so I assume that Its the remastered version. I'm really looking forward to hearing it. Its an import so I guess it'll take a while to get here.

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Yes, that's the one.

Here's a clip from a story done on Scott and the new album from the BBC, it includes interview footage with the recluse himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpwhM...scott%20walker

Wow, I just watched that clip from the BBC story. It really interesting and now I'm even more anxious to hear the new album. I'm most interested in his last statment saying that he's can't stand to listen to the "shaved down" style that he's been working in and is going to move on.

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 14
I think what he meant was that after 7 years of work on the Drift, he was pretty much tired of living with it, hard to blame him. Very encouraging he already has ideas for another album and says it won't be nearly as long a wait this time.

I'm not a religious man, but can we all hold hands and pray to the audio Gods that all that hard work that obviously went into this album is not completely ruined at the last minute by a crummy, obnoxious mastering job?

Apr 4, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 14
I ordered the album "climate of hunter" a week ago and it came in the other day. When I went to the record store to pick it up, the employee there was playing the album Tilt. It was a little awkward for some strange human reason.

I haven't yet listened to it. I'm compleately absorbed in "scott 3" right now. I can't believe how amazing and haunting this album is. The song How To Disappear compleatly on Kid A borrows the eerie strings in the first cut of scott 3 to a slightly different effect. I was a little shocked that the srongest song on Kid A borrowed from a 20 some year old source.

Both scott 3 and Tilt are up there on my top 20 favorite albums which are impossible to put in any particular order. Too me they are about as good as music gets. I can't wait for the buzz from scott 3 to wear off a little so I can listen to Climate of Hunter and then finally The Drift when it's released!

Apr 4, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 14
Scott 3 is my pick of his early albums too. That ascending quarter note on the strings that start up It's Raining Today gives me chills every time.

May 8, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
I just looked at the 4AD homepage and they have anounced that the official release date of The Drift is May 8th. Thats only one month away! So close.

Crud, the release of the drift has been pushed back to the 23rd of this month in the U.S. It's two weeks away now. A friend of mine says that he usually gets promos of 4AD releases in advance so perhaps I'll get it earlier than that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back