Schubert
Feb 9, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #46 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the website says that it shipped a long time ago (on the 23rd), so it should be here by now, but my understanding is that they often lie about ship dates or make them up when they need to buy time. I could be wrong...

I've never known them to do this, and I've ordered a huge amount of stuff from them. That's not to say it never happens, but it's never happened to me.

-Jay

Feb 9, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #47 of 76
Quote:

Well, the website says that it shipped a long time ago (on the 23rd), so it should be here by now, but my understanding is that they often lie about ship dates or make them up when they need to buy time. I could be wrong...

Media mail is supposed to take up to 14 days. I find it usually takes at least 14 business days. If it shipped on the 23rd jan, you should be getting it any day now. I'd just keep checking the mail. Btw, I don't know what they will do at Caiman, but something from Arkiv music never arrived after waiting for about 6 weeks. They then told me they would ship another which arrived 2 weeks after they shipped that. I think the USPS really takes its time with packages that go in bulk mailings which is what all of these warehouse use.

Feb 9, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #48 of 76
By the way, the Schubert 8/9 SACD with Munch/BSO was reviewed on classicstoday and got the incredibly rare and prestigious
wink.gif
10/10. I'm actually considering it, as I don't have an SACD version of these works. Of course, the Bruggen is also calling my name. I hate this place.

Feb 9, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #49 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of Schubert's lieder cycles are fairly heavy, however the earliest lied, those from the beginning of Die Schöne Müllerin are probably the least unhappy. Schubert's lied are late works and the lyrics are taken from romantic poems of Müller and later of Heinrich Heine (Schwanengesang). Unfortunately, Schubert didn't start composing his lieder until around 1823, the year he found out he was infected with syphilis. If you want to hear Schubert's most happy and uplifting vocal works, then look to his masses, especially the shorter ones such as the Mass in C major (D 452), or A flat major (D 678) . If you can tolerate a few songs at a time, then try the Andsnes/Bostridge recordings of the Schubert sonatas (D 850, 959, 960) which all have one or two lieder at the end of them. The sonatas done beautifully as are the lieder.

Thanks for the recommendation and the background information, always interesting to know. I'll have to try Die Schöne Müllerin next.

Feb 9, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #50 of 76
Quote:

By the way, the Schubert 8/9 SACD with Munch/BSO was reviewed on classicstoday and got the incredibly rare and prestigious
wink.gif
10/10. I'm actually considering it, as I don't have an SACD version of these works. Of course, the Bruggen is also calling my name. I hate this place.

Yeah, that Brüggen is just so attractive, especially as I really like his Beethoven, crappy sound and all.

It will be interesting to see how Munch handled Schubert in the age before HIP. Also, the BSO back then was more French sounding than German so it will be very different from the Walter recordings I also have of the same vintage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the recommendation and the background information, always interesting to know. I'll have to try Die Schöne Müllerin next.

The songs from about the last third get very sad, mostly because it's all about unrequited love and death and the whole romantic thing, but the first parts are fairly happy and carefree. Or at least as happy and carefree as a German romantic poet could be. Be warned, the Erlkönig (lyrics from the Goethe poem) is also a very dark work, and dates from 1815, so just coming chronologically earlier doesn't guarantee sunshine and light from Schubert.

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #51 of 76
Very interesting thread, thank you for recommendations. I have always thought of Schubert's music as being among the greats. His lyricism and melodic gift being a great complement to Beethoven's serious monumentalism.Here are some I have enjoyed. For song cycles would check out Fassbaender/Reimann on EMI, very stimulating interpretations with female voice, although if Patzak's 1943 Schone Mullerin is available anywhere (formerly Preiser) it is the most moving leider recording I have ever heard, even in wartime mono sound. For Impromptus, the marvellous Moments Musicaux, and selected sonatas I enjoy Lupu on Decca very much, for me very in tune with Schubert's spirit. Great Piano Fantasy 4 hands with Peraiha. For Symphony 9 particularly fond of Furtwangler DG early 50's and Klemperer DG Vienna Phil live no. 8 (hard to find).

Jul 4, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #53 of 76
I purchased the Schubert "The Collector's Edition" box-set (50 CDs remastered; EMI label; released on 2007; http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Colle...565728&sr=1-1)). The cost for each CD is less than two dollars. I still listening to the complete set, but so far the Symphonies (1-6 and 8-9) interpretation by the Menuhin Festival Orchestra conducted by Sir Yehudi Menuhin are enjoyable. The sound quality (Symphonies were recorded in 1968) is pretty good. The Symphonies are out of print and you pay $85 for an used box set containing just Symphonies 1-6 (http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Symph.../dp/B00000JQXZ). This conductor also has a new version performed by the Sinfonia Varsovia (http://www.musicweb-international.co...rt_Menuhin.htm).

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #55 of 76
I recently picked up used copy of Marriner/Phillips symphonies box set, 6 Cds recorded 1981-84 with very "interesting" attempt by Brian Newbould to finish symphony 8 and give us a symphony 7 + 10 from various fragments he filled out into full symphonies, also contains fragments D615 and D708.

218GSH81B1L._AA115_.jpg

The standard symphonies we all know are very well done with good sound, has Marriner's usual polish and control which holds back any raw drama/excitement but allows the music to flow nicely simliar to his late Mozart symphony work.......I still recommend Abbado/COE/DG as the best performance of symphonies available.

Still this is very valuable for Schubert collectors for all the new material done for 7,8,10 symphonies. The 7,10 realizations sound more like Schubert's early 1-4 symphony style but still interesting listen

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #56 of 76
I particularly like the "period instruments" symphony set by Roy Goodman and the Hanover Band, especially the 4th and the 9th. Very energetic and clear - inspired even.

I just got some recordings of Sviatoslav Richter playing Schubert sonatas and other pieces. He's high up on my all time favs.

Schubert was a very gifted melodist. His tunes always seem so effortless and natural to my ears..

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #57 of 76
I am Listening to the 9th Symphony By Gunterwand (The live with Berlin) and got shivers during the 2nd movement. The previous version I had was a live as well with the NDR recorded earlier and that was my preferred one as well. Some magic between Wand and the 9th !

While I am at it I would like to encourage people to listen to the Impromptus by Edwin Fischer. A very magical disc, one od my 10 desert island recordings probably. Not technically perfect (D935 no4 that he is taking a bit faster than he can do), but ... magic. I could never really listen to Brendel in those, although I know people like him.

Wand for the 9th, Fischer for The impromptus.
biggrin.gif

:)
Lionel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back