Schitt stack, Magni 2 Uber compared to the Audio-GD NFD15
May 13, 2015 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

loki993

500+ Head-Fier
Ive been looking at the Schiit Magni 2 uber, which would be followed by the Modi at some point and a little of the Audio-GD nfb15. These seem to be similar amps with similar price points. Maybe Im getting hung up on too much technical stuff so thats why I come here. First off the NFB15 seems more powerful, a lot more in some cases, at least with lower impedance stuff.
The M2U puts 1.5w into 32 ohms and 320mw into 300 just a few.
The Audio GD doesnt have a 32 ohm measurement but it will do 3.5w into 25 ohms, 1.8w into 50 ohms, 300mw into 300.
The Magni has a lower output impedance, less than .2 ohms
the audio GD has one that less than 2 ohms. probably a wash..

There are a few other things but Im not going to list all the specs. I would think the more powerful amp would be better for a wider range of headphones though.

Then there is the product support issue. One is direct from China and the other is made in America. Now Im not one to get caught up and says everything that comes out of China is crap because it isnt. My issue is if there is every anything wrong with the Audio GD I have to foot the bill to send it back to China, that can get expensive, not to mention time consuming. On the other hand Schitt is know for having great customer service and superfast turnarounds on issues.

So has anyone listened to both of these amps? Have any impressions....any reason why I should get one over the other? Headphones right now will be Beyer DT770 80 pros and AKG K7xxs. Down the road maybe some Fidelio X1s or x2s, Beyer Dt990s. Maybe some HE400i or senn HD650 would probably be the toughest to drive phones ID every throw at them. Im just listing stuff that on my list that id like to try at some point. Im leaning towards the schitt unless id really notice the extra power...though probably not with anything Id currently use with it.

May 13, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 5
Audio-GD NFB-15 comes with dual DAC chips, the Modi only has one DAC chip.

May 14, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 5
But how much of an audible difference does that really make though?

Can't say if the dual DAC chips make a noticeable difference over the Schiit Modi single DAC chip.
Could be the Schiit Modi/Magni and NFB-15 are so closely matched that it might not really matter which choice you make.

May 15, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 5
I feel like the NFB 15 is a warm amp. I owned both. I was surprised that I felt that the M2U was a bit bright but I feel like that normalized after a little while too.

I would give the advantage to the NFB 15.32 because of the fact that you it has a DAC already, line out for active speakers or a second amp, and it's probably gonna hold its value better than the M2U. I used the 400i and the Alpha Dogs with them and they sounded great. Particularly the Alpha Dogs. I have sold both and with my LCD-X I feel like it's a bit warm so I will be selling this in the next few months while waiting for the Liquid Carbon to release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back