Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 17, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #11,161 of 12,119
You guys should check out golden sound.audio. Terrific and concise measurements data.

On his discord page he posts the following quote, from our beloved @Jason Stoddard

```"All of audiophilia is a search for the perfect distortion profile"
- Jason Stoddard```

Sep 17, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #11,162 of 12,119
On paper which of the Yggy variants would synergise better with a pair of Magnepan LRS' fed by a Hegel H360?

I do like detail retrieval and the LRS are very transparent. From what I read the MIL would be too forward/aggressive and fatiguing in this chain - correct?
I don't know anything about Magnepans, but for a while I had OG Y>H360>KEF Ref 1+REL t7i. The Ref 1s are need a lot a power, which the H360 delivers, and they are tight and fast. Stage depth, width and dynamics were outstanding, with big well-recorded orchestral works you could hear the back of the orchestra behind the room's back wall. I sold the H360 and speakers when we moved to a space that needs serious DSP to sound good, but in a good space with good speakers, OG Y>H360 is hard to beat on imaging and dynamics.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #11,163 of 12,119
I’ve had my Yggdrasil for about a year, currently in the following chain: MBP/HQPlayer, AQ Diamond, Yggy, AQ Earth IC, Burson Soloist GT, Susvara. One tweek that completely blew me away was when I tried upsampling/converting PCM file to DSD in HQPlayer. Soundstage become slightly smaller but imaging became RAZOR SHARP and much more lifelike/organic. Soundstage depth / imaging also improved massively. The improvement is such that I struggle to go back and my appreciation for the Yggys technical capabilities has completely changed. With this said, Yggy doesn’t play DSD so the upsampled file is converted back to PCM. Then the question is, how come there is still such an impact? Has anyone else experienced this?

Settings used in HQPlayer:
HQPlayer, SDM (DSD) mode, 48k x256, adaptive rate:
1x Filter: poly-sinc-gaus-xla
Nx Filter: poly-sinc-gaus-hires-ip
Modulator: ASDM7ECV2
I was using HQPlayer with Yggdrasil and found the sound slightly better compared to Yggdrasil without HQPlayer.
It wasn't day and night difference but there was definitely some change to the sound.

I would agree that soundstage depth improved but it also depended on the recording.
The same with imaging, some recording sounded a bit better and some sounded almost the same.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #11,164 of 12,119
I didn’t, in Brazil where I live is impossible to do that.

I have just decided for GX26 because is cheaper to import and I think the match will be great with my system. But I would love to try LIM someday.

Not impossible. Just order from Schiit and you have 14 days to try at home. Return if you don't like it. Simples.

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #11,165 of 12,119
I don't know anything about Magnepans, but for a while I had OG Y>H360>KEF Ref 1+REL t7i. The Ref 1s are need a lot a power, which the H360 delivers, and they are tight and fast. Stage depth, width and dynamics were outstanding, with big well-recorded orchestral works you could hear the back of the orchestra behind the room's back wall. I sold the H360 and speakers when we moved to a space that needs serious DSP to sound good, but in a good space with good speakers, OG Y>H360 is hard to beat on imaging and dynamics.
Do you found that the Ygg is better sound than the may or spring?

Oct 1, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #11,166 of 12,119
Do you found that the Ygg is better sound than the may or spring?
I preferred OG Yggdrasil over Spring 1 with the amp and speakers I mentioned above. However, I prefer Spring 2 KTE and even better May KTE with HQPlayer preprocessing to DSD256 over OG Yggdrasil for my current headphone setups; without preprocessing, I prefer OG Yggdrasil for 44.1 and 48kHz material, May KTE for 88.2 kHz and above.

Oct 1, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #11,167 of 12,119
I preferred OG Yggdrasil over Spring 1 with the amp and speakers I mentioned above. However, I prefer Spring 2 KTE and even better May KTE with HQPlayer preprocessing to DSD256 over OG Yggdrasil for my current headphone setups; without preprocessing, I prefer OG Yggdrasil for 44.1 and 48kHz material, May KTE for 88.2 kHz and above.
How would you compare soundstage size of Yggdrasil OG to May KTE without upsampling or preprocessing to DSD?

Oct 1, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #11,168 of 12,119
How would you compare soundstage size of Yggdrasil OG to May KTE without upsampling or preprocessing to DSD?
In those conditions, with 44.1 or 48 material, May's is bigger, but more diffuse and slightly smeared in the lower-mids. With upsampling and especially upsampling+DSD modulation, May's stage as well as tonal density stay, but everything becomes tighter and more localized.

Oct 4, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #11,169 of 12,119
I would like to have some idea what I should use to feed my Yggdrasil, I have heard that there are too much interference if I use my desktop as source.

I have also got a basso DX200 that I can use, and if that is the case, I will need a SPDIF cable.

Streamer seems to be a waste as as far as I can see, all streamers are with DAC already.

Thanks a lot for enlightening.

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #11,170 of 12,119
I would like to have some idea what I should use to feed my Yggdrasil, I have heard that there are too much interference if I use my desktop as source.

I have also got a basso DX200 that I can use, and if that is the case, I will need a SPDIF cable.

Streamer seems to be a waste as as far as I can see, all streamers are with DAC already.

Thanks a lot for enlightening.

Reports of interference from a desktop are massively overblown. You should have absolutely no issues in any normal scenario.

Oct 4, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #11,173 of 12,119
It’s hard to comment on many of the questions about file delivery to Yggy since they frequently don’t give details about exactly what people are using. Having Yggys (2 times) since 2015, I found major differences between Gen 3, 5, Unison, SPDIF, AES, optical, and then differences between whatever devices are sending to those inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back