Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 5, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #11,026 of 12,188
Auditioning isn't an option unfortunately. Everything I've ever bought has been based off of lots of reviews and asking lots of questions. From what I have read so far the og seems like it would be the best choice for me.
so you need to gamble a bit. just a little guidance. Yggy is on the thinner side compared to Gumby. if your speakers are full range Yggy is the way. I'm testing the 3 modes of of Yggy. this is also a headache to choose.

Jun 5, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #11,027 of 12,188
so you need to gamble a bit. just a little guidance. Yggy is on the thinner side compared to Gumby. if your speakers are full range Yggy is the way. I'm testing the 3 modes of of Yggy. this is also a headache to choose.
I've had my a2 Gungnir MB for almost 5 years, with no problems or upgradeitis at all. I don't think I will ever be able to afford downstream gear that would display the incremental improvement available with any of the Yggdrasil variants, not to mention my 60 year old ears.

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #11,028 of 12,188
I've had my a2 Gungnir MB for almost 5 years, with no problems or upgradeitis at all. I don't think I will ever be able to afford downstream gear that would display the incremental improvement available with any of the Yggdrasil variants, not to mention my 60 year old ears.
I've started with old Bifrost, the Bifrost upgrade to 4490, then Gumby and ended up with Yggy A2, plus LIM and MIL (it is just uncomfortable to switch them forth and back - hundred screws in Yggy chassis. Gumby worked with Epos M22 - great speakers but thin sounding - perfect match. Gumby was too thick for full range speakers. Surprisingly Bifrost balance is closer to Yggy

Jun 5, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #11,029 of 12,188
Not sure where you're getting that info but that was definitely not the case with my LiM or the other early buyers that I saw of the new LiM. That's why I said it, because it was my experience. It sounded good right out of the box, it didn't sound great until about a week later.
hi Guys, I'm back. I haven't heard the gear for a 8 days. At first glance it sounds better, but I guess I'll need to dig out A2 again to make more direct comparison (and probably MIL again, which again as you pointed out with LIM may need more burn in - I think I kicked it out after 3-4 days)

Jun 5, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #11,030 of 12,188
These Yggys pretty much follow their bit count. LiM is less resolving, more warm. OG is very dynamic and more detailed. MiL is the most detailed and brighter sounding and the most Delta Sigma sounding. Whatever you prefer should depend on your systems syerngy. I like lots of detail and powerful bass so the OG is more my liking but I can appreciate the LiM which is similar enough to the BF2 to say it’s a more relaxing listen and good for more forward systems.
This post made a lot of sense to me and sounds believable even though I've only heard the LiM (and Gumby). Others have said the LiM sounds more analog and indeed I think that was the intent behind it's creation. I will say that it is every bit as resolving as my Gumby was but I can see how the other two flavors might take this another step. I would love to try an OG in my system just to hear the difference but I'm not curious enough to go through the hassle. I still feel very confident that the LiM is the one for me. It just sounds "right" to my ears. As someone else alluded to, it is the last component of my system that I can imagine feeling the need to change.

Jun 5, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #11,031 of 12,188
I'm using headphones.

Jun 5, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #11,032 of 12,188
I wouldn't call Yggdrasil thin sounding. It all depends on your chain. In my setup, it's the most expansive (as in wide soundstage) and euphonic tone I've heard.

IMG_3078.jpg

Jun 5, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #11,034 of 12,188
I will probably go with the Yiggy on my next purchase. I have a wa22, Soloist GT, Verite Closed, and lcd x but I am using my ibasso dx300 as dac. It sounds great but I know there is more to be had.
I've owned quite a few DACs in the last 5 years. The only ones I've kept are Yggdrasil OG and a couple of Holo NOS (non-oversampling) DACs. The Yggdrasil only loses somewhat against a Holo May KTE (about $6K) with a complicated chain of an external high-performance server for carefully selected HQPlayer oversampling/modulation and some additional gear. In the $2-3k price range, OG Yggdrasil is unbeaten, especially followed by a good tube amp (which I think you have already). All of these impressions with various ZMF headphones, especially Verité open and closed.

Jun 5, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #11,035 of 12,188
Yggy is on the thinner side compared to Gumby
I don't know Gumby, but compared with a relatively wide range of other DACs (by Metrum, Sonnet, Holo, Chord, Soekris, Linn) I'd not call OG Yggdrasil thin, at least not with the (also relatively broad range of) amps and transducers I've played with.

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #11,036 of 12,188
I've owned quite a few DACs in the last 5 years. The only ones I've kept are Yggdrasil OG and a couple of Holo NOS (non-oversampling) DACs. The Yggdrasil only loses somewhat against a Holo May KTE (about $6K) with a complicated chain of an external high-performance server for carefully selected HQPlayer oversampling/modulation and some additional gear. In the $2-3k price range, OG Yggdrasil is unbeaten, especially followed by a good tube amp (which I think you have already). All of these impressions with various ZMF headphones, especially Verité open and closed.
That's good to hear because I'm using Verite Closed and lcd x. Lots of ppl seem to speak very highly of the Yiggy. I believe I am going to order one fairly soon. I had a short list but I feel my best option will be the Yiggy. It is more in the range of what I don't mind spending too. All the other dacs I was considering were more expensive.

Jun 6, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #11,037 of 12,188
Been using my Yggy LiM nonstop since December 2021 and never been happier. It can run up to 3 amps at the same time and thats a huge bonus for me since i already run my Elise OTL via RCA and GSX mini via XLR from the yggy. Compared to my Pontus 2 R2R, the yggy sounds smoother, more laid back but overall tighter with a little hint of warmth.

The Yggy is fed by a Denafrips Hermes DDC via AES and its a significant sound quality shift from unison USB. Really happy with the DDC + Yggy combo.

Jun 6, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #11,038 of 12,188
Been using my Yggy LiM nonstop since December 2021 and never been happier. It can run up to 3 amps at the same time and thats a huge bonus for me since i already run my Elise OTL via RCA and GSX mini via XLR from the yggy. Compared to my Pontus 2 R2R, the yggy sounds smoother, more laid back but overall tighter with a little hint of warmth.

The Yggy is fed by a Denafrips Hermes DDC via AES and its a significant sound quality shift from unison USB. Really happy with the DDC + Yggy combo.
What exactly does the Hermes do? What is its purpose?

Jun 6, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #11,039 of 12,188
Jun 6, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #11,040 of 12,188
What exactly does the Hermes do? What is its purpose?
It's a digital to digital converter. The source of my music is flac stored in my gaming PC which has a lot of noise in the signal. The USB input of both my yggy and pontus 2, when fed directly by my gaming PC, is noisy. Also the Hermes has a better master clock than both of the dac, so the signal from the pc is reclocked using better equipment of the ddc and then transported to the two dacs which results in a much cleaner / crisper signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back