Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 18, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #10,966 of 12,188
Do you happen to know where/when they said that so I can see it?
I'd have to go searching again. I believe it was mentioned during one of their livestreams on YouTube. I had the same question as you originally. :wink:

Makes sense tho, if they're going to have to use a different DAC chip, it wouldn't be "A3" in the sense that we all expect, but a completely different DAC like LiM and MiL

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #10,967 of 12,188
I'd have to go searching again. I believe it was mentioned during one of their livestreams on YouTube. I had the same question as you originally. :wink:

Makes sense tho, if they're going to have to use a different DAC chip, it wouldn't be "A3" in the sense that we all expect, but a completely different DAC like LiM and MiL

I’m going to go look, I really want to find that! Was there a stream where they talked about the MIL and LIM models? I figure that’d be a good place to start.

I only want to know for sure so because my potential future plans revolved around (what I thought was) the A3 coming out, but if that’s not a thing anymore then I’ll have to re-think everything.

Apr 18, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #10,968 of 12,188
I only want to know for sure so because my potential future plans revolved around (what I thought was) the A3 coming out, but if that’s not a thing anymore then I’ll have to re-think everything.
Unfortunately, they kind of just allude to these things in their random streams so it may be difficult to track down.

It may actually be worth asking @Jason Stoddard or @Baldr directly (possibly thru Schiit support) to confirm that we shouldn't be expecting an "A3" based around that DAC (or another AD chip) in the near future.

Btw, what were you hoping for that either of the 3 current flavors don't really offer up atm?

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #10,970 of 12,188
Unfortunately, they kind of just allude to these things in their random streams so it may be difficult to track down.

It may actually be worth asking @Jason Stoddard or @Baldr directly (possibly thru Schiit support) to confirm that we shouldn't be expecting an "A3" based around that DAC (or another AD chip) in the near future.

Btw, what were you hoping for that either of the 3 current flavors don't really offer up atm?
I wonder if I were to ask Schiit directly, if they wouldn’t be able to give me an answer for the same reasons other companies don’t like to talk about potential upcoming (or not) products!

Regarding your question of what I was hoping for, I was hoping that an A3 would potentially be the new “best” model as in a direct improvement over A2 (even if tiny), as opposed to the lateral sidegrades of the flavors. Again keep in mind this was back when I thought the A3 was a sure-fire thing, so that was just my assumption haha.

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #10,971 of 12,188
I will say though that ever since reading this morning that there might not be an A3, I instantly started reading about the 3 flavors and got sucked down into a day-long rabbit hole. If I were to assume the A3 never happens, I’d be potentially interested in the LIM or OG. The LIM from what I’ve read actually sounds almost perfect for me, really the only quibble I have is mixed reports that it sacrifices a little bit of detail/resolution compared to the OG. I do like my detail, but also my richness, so it seems like I’d have to give up a teeny bit of one or the other when choosing between the 2.

May 22, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #10,972 of 12,188
My RME Adi Dac, it's gone for repairs, so I plugged my Yggdrasil A1 USB gen 3 in, (my headphone rig, Utopia and gsx mini), and am really enjoying it! Dang this hobby lol.

Anyway, has anyone sent in an A1 Yggdrasil and upgraded it? I was looking at the current options and thinking either OG or the MIL. I wonder if MIL would be worth it - from A1? I've also read Schiit will upgrade firmware on the old A1 Dac's, turning it into the GS Yggdrasil. I'd also get the unison USB upgrade, from what I've read, Unison is a nice upgrade from either 3 or 5 USB. I could stay with A1 and get a firmware update and Unison USB done. Lots of options.

Anyway, for now I'm enjoying this Yggy as is, it sounds great today!

May 22, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #10,973 of 12,188
Unison is definitely a nice upgrade, even from the Gen 5 I had before. I went with LiM, and I'd make the same choice again. When the new Yggy's first came out the LiM is the version that quickly went to long wait status. I see that they've been able to catch up with that now and no version has too terribly long a wait. It would seem that the LiM version was more popular than they may have predicted and it's not too hard to figure out why based on the early reviews, especially from the invitation-only pre-release shootout. I think a lot of people. like myself, thought the LiM version sounded like what they were looking for. More natural and analog-sounding. I'm sure all 3 sound great so not really a wrong choice to be made here, but I do think you should at least consider the LiM.

May 22, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #10,974 of 12,188
My RME Adi Dac, it's gone for repairs, so I plugged my Yggdrasil A1 USB gen 3 in, (my headphone rig, Utopia and gsx mini), and am really enjoying it! Dang this hobby lol.

Anyway, has anyone sent in an A1 Yggdrasil and upgraded it? I was looking at the current options and thinking either OG or the MIL. I wonder if MIL would be worth it - from A1? I've also read Schiit will upgrade firmware on the old A1 Dac's, turning it into the GS Yggdrasil. I'd also get the unison USB upgrade, from what I've read, Unison is a nice upgrade from either 3 or 5 USB. I could stay with A1 and get a firmware update and Unison USB done. Lots of options.

I had my A1 upgraded to A2 as soon as the analog board upgrade was available. It was a marked improvement. The later upgrade to Unison was an equally marked improvement if you use USB. At least they were to me, YMMV.

May 22, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #10,975 of 12,188
Unison is definitely a nice upgrade, even from the Gen 5 I had before. I went with LiM, and I'd make the same choice again. When the new Yggy's first came out the LiM is the version that quickly went to long wait status. I see that they've been able to catch up with that now and no version has too terribly long a wait. It would seem that the LiM version was more popular than they may have predicted and it's not too hard to figure out why based on the early reviews, especially from the invitation-only pre-release shootout. I think a lot of people. like myself, thought the LiM version sounded like what they were looking for. More natural and analog-sounding. I'm sure all 3 sound great so not really a wrong choice to be made here, but I do think you should at least consider the LiM.
Pretty cool. I've done some reading since my last post on the LiM. I read about the blind test, and another review of testing the LiM vs OG (Analog 2). I'm thinking I might order LiM and Unison USB for my older A1 Yggdrasil. Sounds like fun.

May 22, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #10,977 of 12,188

I have a GS, so far as I understand all can be done at home. Firmware is a little memory chip and the circuit boards are like graphics cards. I am so happy with the Yggy (it sounds great but I'm not sure it's better than the BiFrost as I don't usually do a/b stuff except tubes) and BiFrost 2 that I feel I have best of both. MIL or LIM is interesting maybe in a few years. Yggy GS is so good, and BiFrost 2 (with Unison) doesn't really come up short either (more of a rock and roll sound? more detail in Yggy? More imagination than memory?) ...

I hope this was helpful.

May 22, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #10,978 of 12,188
I was on the LIM list, but when pressed they said that the OG was more detailed. I don't like backtracking. I am looking for something that has more, not less. That said, audio is subjective, it's all a matter of personal taste.
I notice myself noticing details with Yggy OG, but that could be because I want to reassure myself Yggy OG is better than Modi 3.

May 22, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #10,979 of 12,188
I have a GS, so far as I understand all can be done at home. Firmware is a little memory chip and the circuit boards are like graphics cards. I am so happy with the Yggy (it sounds great but I'm not sure it's better than the BiFrost as I don't usually do a/b stuff except tubes) and BiFrost 2 that I feel I have best of both. MIL or LIM is interesting maybe in a few years. Yggy GS is so good, and BiFrost 2 (with Unison) doesn't really come up short either (more of a rock and roll sound? more detail in Yggy? More imagination than memory?) ...

I hope this was helpful.
A true, real life experience and opinions are always helpful, my friend. Well said and thank you!

May 22, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #10,980 of 12,188
I notice myself noticing details with Yggy OG, but that could be because I want to reassure myself Yggy OG is better than Modi 3.
It’s a 20 bit chip you’re not imagining things. OG is my next purchase was waiting for Schiit to fix their inventory issues before buying one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back