Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 16, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #10,741 of 12,119
Wow the Yggy is opening up more. The low level resolution is beginning to improve as I play signal through the Yggy OG . I am enjoying every minute of the break in process. I am happy already with the sound but I am hoping things will improve even more with more play time through the dac.

Dec 16, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #10,742 of 12,119
It pairs extremely well with the burson HA-160. The bursons class A operation helps. I have a rogue rh-5 headphone amp as well. But I find the burson more appealing in my set up. I believe it is due to the class A operation on the burson . The rogue has classs ab operation.
I agree that a class A amp is my preferred circuit topology as well, and in the Purp-Amp's case it's driver tube (6BQ7A) is direct coupled to the 71A DHT output tubes.
And along with a handful of other circuit tweaks such as Ultra-Path Caps and ultra tweako OPT's and 1940's and 1950's tubes, and all of this, when it's well fed by the JGGY Dac, makes for a sublime HP system.

JJ

Dec 17, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #10,743 of 12,119
Preface: If this has been asked before I apologize and please point me to said previous discussions.

Question: I have a Bifrost 2 and a Qutest and switch between the two based on genre, amp and headphone. If I’m looking to upgrade from the Bifrost for more resolution but without sacrificing the aspects of Schiit’s multibit sound which make it distinct from the Qutest’s rendering, is my best Yggy option to consider the LIM or other flavor? Thank you.

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #10,744 of 12,119
Preface: If this has been asked before I apologize and please point me to said previous discussions.

Question: I have a Bifrost 2 and a Qutest and switch between the two based on genre, amp and headphone. If I’m looking to upgrade from the Bifrost for more resolution but without sacrificing the aspects of Schiit’s multibit sound which make it distinct from the Qutest’s rendering, is my best Yggy option to consider the LIM or other flavor? Thank you.
I had the bifrost and qutest and as soon as I got the Yggy I sold the bifrost. If you are looking for excellent detail retrieval, sound stage and layering the A2 is your best bet, but if you want a more analog and organic sound with out sacrificing much of the latter then the LiM would be it

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #10,745 of 12,119
Well the beak in process is still progressing. It is interesting how different sounding a lot of my cds sound on the OG compared to other dacs I have owned. I also have a Sonnett Morpheus dac and there are differences between that and the OG as well. The OG is wonderful and getting better but at times I still hear a trace of digititis that the Morpheus does not exhibit.

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #10,746 of 12,119
Well the beak in process is still progressing. It is interesting how different sounding a lot of my cds sound on the OG compared to other dacs I have owned. I also have a Sonnett Morpheus dac and there are differences between that and the OG as well. The OG is wonderful and getting better but at times I still hear a trace of digititis that the Morpheus does not exhibit.
I felt like the OG had a small trace of that, specifically something going on with the upper frequencies.

The LiM, to while not as exciting, doesn't seem to have that at all. Seems more 'analog' if you will

Dec 18, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #10,747 of 12,119
I felt like the OG had a small trace of that, specifically something going on with the upper frequencies.

The LiM, to while not as exciting, doesn't seem to have that at all. Seems more 'analog' if you will
Analog is the perfect term to describe this DAC. I can't see myself needing another one ever. My LiM was delivered only 8 days after the order.

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #10,749 of 12,119
I have found that as the Jggy settles in, the SQ will vary from better to slightly 'off' and then back to better still as the hrs pile on.

It may take several 100hrs to fully settle down, depending of course on multiple other variables in the audio chain.
YMMV of course.

JJ

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #10,750 of 12,119
I have found that as the Jggy settles in, the SQ will vary from better to slightly 'off' and then back to better still as the hrs pile on.

It may take several 100hrs to fully settle down, depending of course on multiple other variables in the audio chain.
YMMV of course.

JJ
So it sounds like it is going to take some time till the yggy is going to fully settle in. So time to just settle down in my listening chair and listen.

Dec 19, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #10,751 of 12,119
And to be sure these improvements are subtle and for many, being able to hear them in the 1st place can take some exposure and experience.
It's not like they are going to smack you upside your head but when they come and go it can make it easier to notice their character and so be able to listen for them etc.

JJ

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #10,752 of 12,119
I had the bifrost and qutest and as soon as I got the Yggy I sold the bifrost. If you are looking for excellent detail retrieval, sound stage and layering the A2 is your best bet, but if you want a more analog and organic sound with out sacrificing much of the latter then the LiM would be it
Thank you for your comments. The LIM is on order. I expect to see it sometime in February.

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #10,753 of 12,119
Thank you for your comments. The LIM is on order. I expect to see it sometime in February.
I got mine 10 days from the order. Placed early this month. It may be a lot sooner than you think.

Dec 21, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #10,754 of 12,119
My first post in this forum and I have to say: I bought it! 2 analog version with gen 5 usb. I've just used dS dacs before.
I'm forced to use WASAPI drivers auto-installed with Windows11. Is it normal?

Dec 21, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #10,755 of 12,119
My first post in this forum and I have to say: I bought it! 2 analog version with gen 5 usb. I've just used dS dacs before.
I'm forced to use WASAPI drivers auto-installed with Windows11. Is it normal?
Yes, that is normal. Unless you want to play music in shared mode, in which case you don't bypass the Windows mixer and there's no garantuee that the output is bitperfect. Pretty much the sole purpose of the WASAPI drivers is to feed audio data directly to a DAC and forcing maximum software volume if you use an external amp and prefer to control volume that way.

Therefore they are compatible with any USB audio device.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back