Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 14, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #10,411 of 12,119
Hey I just purchased a used Yggdrasil A2. What should I look for to make sure everything is up to snuff. The serial # starts with the letter B which indicates the A2 and upgraded usb (unison) version I believe. Is it advisable to open it and take a look at the internals? It should be arriving in a few days.
I’d say plug it in and get it warming up right away! Oh and enjoy!

Apr 14, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #10,412 of 12,119
Hey I just purchased a used Yggdrasil A2. What should I look for to make sure everything is up to snuff. The serial # starts with the letter B which indicates the A2 and upgraded usb (unison) version I believe. Is it advisable to open it and take a look at the internals? It should be arriving in a few days.
You're right - serial numbers starting with "B" indicate that your Yggdrasil is equipped with the Analog 2 boards.

Once you power up your device, if you are using Windows, take a look at your Device Manager or your Sound Settings. The entry for the Yggdrasil should also include the words "Unison USB".

Apr 14, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #10,413 of 12,119
You're right - serial numbers starting with "B" indicate that your Yggdrasil is equipped with the Analog 2 boards.

Once you power up your device, if you are using Windows, take a look at your Device Manager or your Sound Settings. The entry for the Yggdrasil should also include the words "Unison USB".
Did some of their Analog 2 (B prefix) models not have the Unison Usb?

Apr 14, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #10,415 of 12,119
What release of windows 10? If you open notepad -> Help -> About Notepad it should show you the version.

Should say 1909, 2004, 20H2. Anything older isn’t getting updates any more.

Could be the disc you’re using is a much older version. Whenever I install windows 10 fresh I use this tool from Microsoft to create a bootable USB stick with the latest. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
So on this third computer the one with the shuttle motherboard, I just finished the installation disc. In device manager everything appears to have loaded correctly. Without using the updates, I went ahead and hooked everything up including the DAC connected with the usb. When booting and looking in device manager again, the unisom USB is appeared as before and has an exclamation mark by it. It is non-functional and has no functional drivers.

So with the DAC hooked up, this time I'm going to use the media tool that you listed above. We'll see if the Windows 10 updates using your media tool will recognize my DAC present and load the correct drivers

Apr 14, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #10,416 of 12,119
Correct. YggyB serial #s have the later analog upgrade, but not necessarily Unison USB. That’s what mine is (non Unison) from 3/2018. Since I didn’t use USB for either my original YggyA or this one I haven’t bothered with it.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #10,417 of 12,119
Yeah, the Analog 2 boards were released in 2017, but Unison USB was developed, and introduced, much later - at the start of 2020, if I'm not mistaken.

Apr 15, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #10,418 of 12,119

Attachments

• PXL_20210414_223234512~2.jpg
    PXL_20210414_223234512~2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 15, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #10,419 of 12,119
So it is solved. It wasn't a hardware issue or cable. I'm glad I came here as using the link provided above fixed the issue. The only thing I did differently on this third time around is after I installed the initial Windows 10 disc as you see above, I went ahead and hooked up the DAC with the USB cord. The device manager would show it present but with the exclamation mark.
I used the link listed above on the thread and started the upgrade process on Windows 10 instead of using the online upgrade process from Windows. Once the installation process was complete with the DAC installed and present, it was recognized accurately and the exclamation mark is gone. It works flawlessly. Thanks for everybody's help.

Apr 16, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #10,420 of 12,119
From a previous interview with Mike, we've learned that a new Analog board is certainly a consideration, but not seemingly a priority for the folks at Schiit - at least not this year. They probably have their plates full with a suite of big-ticket items slated for release in 2021.
On their live stream this evening (at the 10:40 mark), Mike states that they're almost done with development on the new Yggy boards, but are trying to sort through the highest priority items before wrapping them up. So, maybe it'll come in 2021 after all

Apr 16, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #10,421 of 12,119
On their live stream this evening (at the 10:40 mark), Mike states that they're almost done with development on the new Yggy boards, but are trying to sort through the highest priority items before wrapping them up. So, maybe it'll come in 2021 after all
Good to hear. I have an A2 non-Unison Yggdrasil.
Will wait for new "A3" board to get that and Unison at same time.

Apr 16, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #10,423 of 12,119
I didn't get the chance to catch the stream "live", but it's nice to hear that new Analog boards are in the planning and/or pre-production phases. It appears that more than 1 flavor will be made available, though; at least, that's my take from the interview. :)

Apr 16, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #10,424 of 12,119
So it is solved. It wasn't a hardware issue or cable. I'm glad I came here as using the link provided above fixed the issue. The only thing I did differently on this third time around is after I installed the initial Windows 10 disc as you see above, I went ahead and hooked up the DAC with the USB cord. The device manager would show it present but with the exclamation mark.
I used the link listed above on the thread and started the upgrade process on Windows 10 instead of using the online upgrade process from Windows. Once the installation process was complete with the DAC installed and present, it was recognized accurately and the exclamation mark is gone. It works flawlessly. Thanks for everybody's help.
Glad you got it working. When you mentioned CD installation I figured it might be behind a bit. Not sure why windows update didn’t catch you up but at least it’s sorted now!

Apr 16, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #10,425 of 12,119
Goodness. Always left yggy powered on. Last night....had signal going into USB over night. This does make a noticeable difference. Shocked.

Created a list of songs on pc hard drive set to shuffle and repeat when I turn off amps and preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back