Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 18, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #10,366 of 12,188
No sure why everyone thought the GS was “free lunch”. The reason it’s discounted is for those looking to get onto the platform via legacy A1 inventory at a lower price point. At least that’s what I understood from the web site.

if Schiit was going to permit the GS to be upgraded identically to full retail product, they would be cannibalizing their own product line sales for a lower cost device. An email from a random CS person shouldn't be considered a corporate commitment. I suspect it was an honest mistake, but this kind of futures policy should be confirmed with more senior staff if it’s a concern.
Huh. Difference of opinion, I suppose.

Feb 26, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #10,367 of 12,188
Anyway, I wanted to say thanks for all the inputs and opinions from my (soon-to-be) fellow owners. After careful consideration, I've placed an order for an Yggdrasil (Analog 2) and a Ragnarok 2. The Yggy is backordered until the mid of March, though, so it'll probably be a while before I can enjoy this promising combo.

Oh, well, good things come to those who wait, and all that. :)

Again, thanks!

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #10,368 of 12,188
Huh. Difference of opinion, I suppose.
Jason just mentioned on the main Schiit forum that the GS can be upgraded, after the initial purchase. As a very happy GS owner, I have no desire to do that, but nice to know that when a future A2/A3 upgrade is available; can take advantage of it.

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #10,369 of 12,188
Jason just mentioned on the main Schiit forum that the GS can be upgraded, after the initial purchase. As a very happy GS owner, I have no desire to do that, but nice to know that when a future A2/A3 upgrade is available; can take advantage of it.
Yes. He posted:

Yeah, you can upgrade a GS, just not at the time of order. If you want to spend the money to send it back to us afterwards, then that's up to you.

So, clarification from the horse's mouth. :)

Feb 27, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #10,371 of 12,188
Hey folks,

Doing the Unison upgrade today and having some difficulty unplugging the ribbon cable from the front panel. Any tips or ticks? Not a lot of room to work with and doesn't seem to have the usual retaining clips, etc.

Feb 27, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #10,372 of 12,188
Hey folks,

Doing the Unison upgrade today and having some difficulty unplugging the ribbon cable from the front panel. Any tips or ticks? Not a lot of room to work with and doesn't seem to have the usual retaining clips, etc.
It just pulls straight off. The most trouble I had was getting it back ON. :)

Feb 27, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #10,373 of 12,188
It just pulls straight off. The most trouble I had was getting it back ON. :)

Thanks -- pulls straight off with the grey end piece intact? That's what I thought but mine isn't budging.

Feb 27, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #10,374 of 12,188
Thanks -- pulls straight off with the grey end piece intact? That's what I thought but mine isn't budging.
Put a finger under each side (between the ribbon cable and the front panel) and pull gently on each side. It will pull off, it is just on straight pin edge connectors. The ribbon cable has a plastic end, yes, and it comes off with the cable.

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #10,375 of 12,188
Put a finger under each side (between the ribbon cable and the front panel) and pull gently on each side. It will pull off, it is just on straight pin edge connectors. The ribbon cable has a plastic end, yes, and it comes off with the cable.

Got it -- thanks. It was on tight but all done now and def an upgrade over the Gen 5 via an old MB in the office system.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #10,376 of 12,188
For anyone who's looking to take apart their Yggdrasil (to perform installations), you can have a look at the official ShiitFerBrainz's Yggdrasil build video -

This might offer some insight on the internals of the Yggy. :)

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #10,377 of 12,188
I have a lot of Chord gear now, but back in 2015 when I first got into this hobby, I always wanted the Yggdrasil...having just become aware of the GS version, the price point was just too good to resist. I just placed my order and am excited to test it against my Gungnir MB!!! I will post impressions after it warms up for a week or so:)

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #10,378 of 12,188
Well I broke down and ordered a black Yggy. The silver Gungnir MB on my desk, despite sounding great, has always bugged me because it looked out-of-place among a sea of black equipment; it will now be demoted to office duty (whenever THOSE open back up). If the shipping estimate is accurate I should have it mid-next-week. Was tempted to get a Raggy too since I needed a beefy solid-state amp but in the end I was sold on the benefits of THX AAA so I have a Benchmark HPA4 on order. When this is all together the Schiit will indeed be bananas.

Edit: With new Yggs delayed indefinitely I cancelled the order and have gone for a Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro instead, I just couldn't wait. The technology isn't as sexy but I think it will be a fine choice (probably the best Sabre DAC in existence). I will continue using my silver Gumby MB in my office setup.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #10,379 of 12,188
Well I broke down and ordered a black Yggy. The silver Gungnir MB on my desk, despite sounding great, has always bugged me because it looked out-of-place among a sea of black equipment; it will now be demoted to office duty (whenever THOSE open back up). If the shipping estimate is accurate I should have it mid-next-week. Was tempted to get a Raggy too since I needed a beefy solid-state amp but in the end I was sold on the benefits of THX AAA so I have a Benchmark HPA4 on order. When this is all together the Schiit will indeed be bananas.
I, too, debated if I wanted to get my Yggdrasil (and Ragnarok 2) in black; ultimately, I chose to go with the classic silver to match my existing Gungnir Multibit and Mjolnir 2. Like you've mentioned, having a mix of silver and black Schiit equipment can be.. very jarring to the senses.

Hopefully, the Yggy will be shipped to its many eager customers soon! :)

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #10,380 of 12,188
Hopefully, the Yggy will be shipped to its many eager customers soon! :)

Nope, now pushed back 6 weeks because of parts delays and I get the feeling that's an arbitrary number for now. Kind of sucks but there is really nothing else I would rather have technology-wise in a DAC aside from something like a ladder MSB at 5x the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back