Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 9, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #10,216 of 12,119
It is possible that the Ygg is built into the modular form just like the new Bifrost? Then upgrades in the future would be easy. It is because shipping fees are so expensive for overseas users.

Yes... The Yggdrasil is built in a modular form and meant to be upgradable, schiit allows the USB modules to be user installed, but not the analog cards..

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #10,217 of 12,119
I just installed the Unison USB card in the Yggy.. Took a little over an hour mainly because I didn’t want any screwdriver slips or scratches marring the finish or the screw heads. The right sized screwdriver is required as some of these were torqued down a little too much.
The back panel requires you to remove screws and a nut for the BNC out, was Careful and did not scratch the panel on that one, was tight and thin.. New card fell in place, fastened In place, I put it back together slowly..
Set it up in the system, No usb option to select and no rate indicator lights, and no relay noises.. ??? but the OS showed the Unison USB card installed ? only the selector light was on, and I couldn’t select them all.. ?
So, I went back in, to find I missed a row when reinstalling the ribbon cable. looked fine from the limited view you have when connecting..
Carefully screwed it all together again..
All is well.. its playing now from a cold system.. but I can already hear one difference...
I need some warmed up listening time.. looking forward to it..
Stay safe..

6AA1FC57-FA89-4017-BCB6-3F6A4B4DEAC8.jpeg
347D90D0-3811-42E0-986D-04D076A6F828.jpeg
1F749986-ECA7-4E46-A71A-B93A2FAB9844.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #10,218 of 12,119
A quick followup to the unison usb upgrade from above... It’s good.. real good. I immediately noticed the difference even with the system being cold,
Everything was more crisp, like looking out a first time cleaned 8 year old window.. Several hours later I sat down and listened to some of my well played
favs.. Cleaner view to the music overall.. I noticed more bass, which I would never have expected. It’s not that it’s more, but better defined so the beginning and ending of bass notes are more defined than they were, stands out. everything seems better defined, by a lack of grunge I didn’t realize was there. better overall presentation ..
Once again, the schiit folks have given more than you would expect. Anyone sitting on the fence about this upgrade should reconsider.. IME..

Oct 12, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #10,220 of 12,119
Is anybody using balanced power with yggdrasil and can attest to sonic improvement as a result?

Oct 12, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #10,221 of 12,119
I am using an AC balanced isolation transformers to feed my audio system.

While I can't claim a SQ improvement per se, it does afford a more stable AC voltage feed for the whole system and the it does seems to operate in a more consistent manner.

I was worried that it might have had a deleterious effect on the power amp(s) but such isn't the case.
And since the JggyB draws such a small amount of power, I doubt if used by itself alone on a isolation xfmr, it would have much effect either way, unless the power is 'dirty' or the power delivery is problematic in some way (poor AC connections etc).

Just my 2¢

JJ

Oct 12, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #10,222 of 12,119
I believe that @gdhal is referring to using the balanced audio output, as opposed to single-ended. The question's wording is a bit confusing.

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #10,223 of 12,119
Is anybody using balanced power with yggdrasil and can attest to sonic improvement as a result?

I use balanced power for my system, a BPIT.. I can attest to a lower noise floor throughout the system. it Allows for more contrast and emergence of music from a dark quiet background.. I never want to be without a BPIT.. Common mode rejection is real and it works.. Some Say it also benefits from the large transformer having stored energy available for demanding transients.. I haven’t just tried it on the yggy by itself..

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #10,224 of 12,119
I believe that @gdhal is referring to using the balanced audio output, as opposed to single-ended. The question's wording is a bit confusing.

ok.. @gdhal I was using single ended at first because I will end up that way since My amp is SE. But recently I switched to balanced from the Yggy > Freya
and it sounds better.. it really made a nice difference. Others have noted it too, including schiit..

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #10,225 of 12,119

No. JJ has it correct. I'm meaning balanced AC power, not balanced interconnects via xlr.

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #10,226 of 12,119
ok.. @gdhal I was using single ended at first because I will end up that way since My amp is SE. But recently I switched to balanced from the Yggy > Freya
and it sounds better.. it really made a nice difference. Others have noted it too, including schiit..

I too use balanced XLR interconnects from the yggdrasil to my amp.

Oct 13, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #10,227 of 12,119
Sorry about that folks, interesting discussion though!
:beerchug:

Oct 13, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #10,228 of 12,119
I was just reading about Yggy's measurements over at that audio science forum yesterday. I have only skimmed through the first page of the thread, but the bass frequency response did seem to measure better (flatter across the spectrum) out of the balanced XLR outputs, than it did out of the single-ended RCA outputs.

The bass fell off noticeably with the SE outputs, when compared to balanced. I assume that most of you people have already seen this:

index.php

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-schiit-yggdrasil-v2-dac.3607/

Apologies (again) if this has already been discussed ad nauseum!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #10,229 of 12,119
I was just reading about Yggy's measurements over at that audio science forum yesterday. I have only skimmed through the first page of the thread, but the bass frequency response did seem to measure better (flatter across the spectrum) out of the balanced XLR outputs, than it did out of the single-ended RCA outputs.

The bass fell off noticeably with the SE outputs, when compared to balanced. I assume that most of you people have already seen this:

index.php

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-schiit-yggdrasil-v2-dac.3607/

Apologies (again) if this has already been discussed ad nauseum!

Subjectively speaking, the XLR/balanced output on the Yggy 2 is noticeably better than the RCA/SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back