Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 8, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #9,931 of 12,188
My system is set up in a small bedroom. It is 12x14 treated with various wall tunes. I am using a mac air as a transport, usb cable,cardes clear, down to my yggy. I am balanced, out to a Pass lab integrated 60 which feeds 2 NHT bookshelf speakers and the latest BD3 sub from Bowers and Wilkins. My audio and speaker cable is all harmonic tech. I also have and use Koss 950 electrostatic headphones

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #9,932 of 12,188
If you are going to do the Unison self install get proper tools, especially good screwdrivers as it is easy to strip the screws on a Yggdrasil. There are very good illustrated instructions at another audio forum I can't link to here 'cause of a disagreement years ago and I don't want to get banned but search for "Schitt Yggdrasil GEN 5 USB Upgrade Instructions" and you will find them. Same instructions apply to the Unison and Gen 5 USB board. When I first got my Yggdrasil it sounded pretty congested. Slowly over about three weeks it burned in. I have only had to let it cool down a few times since I have owned it but warm up time second time around is much faster. I can't tell any difference two days later.

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #9,933 of 12,188
My system is set up in a small bedroom. It is 12x14 treated with various wall tunes. I am using a mac air as a transport, usb cable,cardes clear, down to my yggy. I am balanced, out to a Pass lab integrated 60 which feeds 2 NHT bookshelf speakers and the latest BD3 sub from Bowers and Wilkins. My audio and speaker cable is all harmonic tech. I also have and use Koss 950 electrostatic headphones
Thanks. I'm also a bass trap user. Used in conjunction with EQ they have a positively huge effect on sound quality, particular with regards to reducing reverberation times.

As a fellow Mac user it is encouraging to read that you've experienced improvements from Unison USB with a Mac. It seems I am running out of excuses not to upgrade from Gen5 to Unison!...

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #9,935 of 12,188
Does anyone happen to know if the feet on the Yggy are threaded into the chassis or is there a nut on the inside? I would like to replace the feet but I don’t want to unscrew them and then have to take the chassis apart to remove nuts. I can’t find pictures on the inside bottom without a board.

Apr 9, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #9,937 of 12,188
Does anyone know the specs of the fuse in the Yggy? I now it is 5 X 20mm in size, but what about the amperage and blow speed?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #9,940 of 12,188
@sahmen, you'd need a 5x20mm/fast blow/630mA/250V fuse for the North American version. Not sure what other Yggy's build for other regions would require.
This squares with what i was originally advised to get. However, the fast blow/630mA version of the particular brand I was interested in (Synergistic Research Orange) was not available, and I settled for the slow blow version. I have been hesitant to use it for the Yggy precisely because I am not sure how safe it is to use a slow blow fuse, when a fast blow one seems to be recommended.

Incidentally, that is why the post of @Jones Bob below is sounding like music to my ears now.

Apr 9, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #9,941 of 12,188
My early production had a 0.63A fast blow fuse.
Later, after returned with A2 upgrade, the fuse had been changed by Schiit to a 1A fast blow.
Well fortunately, I also have the A2 upgrade version of the Yggy, so maybe I can finally use a fuse I can get. The Synergistic research Orange fuse offers a 1A fast blow version, and it seems I can exchange the 630mA slow blow version I purchased earlier for the 1A fast blow version. It sounds like I finally found the right fuse. I shall change it when I self-install the USB Unison module. Thanks a bunch for your response,

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #9,943 of 12,188
A company named "Synergistic Research" sells fuses? I would be concerned :wink:
Understood, but if you really want to express concern, then their fuses should be the least of your worries, which is all I'm going to say about the matter for now. :)

Apr 9, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #9,944 of 12,188
Well fortunately, I also have the A2 upgrade version of the Yggy, so maybe I can finally use a fuse I can get. The Synergistic research Orange fuse is offers a 1A fast blow version, and it seems I can exchange the 630mA slow blow version I purchased earlier for the 1A fast blow version. It sounds like I finally found the right fuse. I shall change it when I self-install the USB Unison module. Thanks a bunch for your response,
The new ORANGE Quantum Fuse is a direct result of technology we first developed for our Limited Edition Galileo SX PowerCell. At its core are new UEF Technologies and a completely new multi-stage high voltage treatment process for the lowest noise floor of any fuse we have ever manufactured. In fact, ORANGE is by far the most significant leap in performance across five fuse generations. Subjective improvements include better timbral accuracy where separate instruments and voices take on a new degree of life-like realism. Other benefits over prior SR fuses include a larger soundstage with greater depth, width, and front-to-back layering. Musicality or the presence of increased detail without a hint of fatigue is off the charts for extended listening that is never harsh despite being our highest resolution fuse to date. As always, you are welcome to try Synergistic Research ORANGE Fuses in your system for 30-days risk-free and return them to your SR dealer for a full refund if you are not completely satisfied.
Sold with a no-risk 30-day money back guarantee. $159.95 in all sizes

Apr 10, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #9,945 of 12,188
I'd LOVE a Quantum Fuze(tm) for my Ark Weldr.
FB_IMG_1580561784211.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back