Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 2, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #9,901 of 12,119
Question:

1. Any rumors of Schiit upgrading the Analog stage again?

2. Who here has experience with the Yggy and streaming? I've heard many positive things about redbook quality, but what of the Yggy with higher streaming resolution formats?

thanks
jc

Mar 2, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #9,902 of 12,119
Question:

1. Any rumors of Schiit upgrading the Analog stage again?

2. Who here has experience with the Yggy and streaming? I've heard many positive things about redbook quality, but what of the Yggy with higher streaming resolution formats?
1. They did that a couple of years ago, I don't think it's likely they do it again soon, especially since upgrading the analog stage requires ditching the old board containing the pricey instrumentation DAC chips.
2. I stream every resolution to 192/24 to my Yggdrasil A2, either from my local FLAC files or from Qobuz, using Roon. Excellent quality all around, but the skill of Yggdrasil's upsampling filter is more in evidence with Redbook than with higher sampling rates, simply because there's more interpolation going on for the lower sampling rate. I've owned a couple of highly-rated NOS DACs (Holo Spring KTE, Metrum Onyx) with the same amps and transducers, which are wonderful at higher rates but a bit too thick on Redbook. I still own a very nice lower-cost upsampling R2R Soekris dac1541, which does well with headphones but was a bit too timid for my old speaker system (Hegel H360, KEF Reference 1+REL T7i).

Mar 3, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #9,903 of 12,119
1. They did that a couple of years ago, I don't think it's likely they do it again soon, especially since upgrading the analog stage requires ditching the old board containing the pricey instrumentation DAC chips.
2. I stream every resolution to 192/24 to my Yggdrasil A2, either from my local FLAC files or from Qobuz, using Roon. Excellent quality all around, but the skill of Yggdrasil's upsampling filter is more in evidence with Redbook than with higher sampling rates, simply because there's more interpolation going on for the lower sampling rate. I've owned a couple of highly-rated NOS DACs (Holo Spring KTE, Metrum Onyx) with the same amps and transducers, which are wonderful at higher rates but a bit too thick on Redbook. I still own a very nice lower-cost upsampling R2R Soekris dac1541, which does well with headphones but was a bit too timid for my old speaker system (Hegel H360, KEF Reference 1+REL T7i).
I stream 16/44.1 to Yggy A2 using Qobuz.
Sound quality is superb and indistinguishable from identical recordings ripped from CD.
I have no interest whatsoever in ‘Hi Resolution’ audio.
Red book, done properly, sounds fantastic.
That is precisely what Yggdrasil does.

Mar 3, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #9,904 of 12,119
I stream 16/44.1 to Yggy A2 using Qobuz.
Sound quality is superb and indistinguishable from identical recordings ripped from CD.
I have no interest whatsoever in ‘Hi Resolution’ audio.
Red book, done properly, sounds fantastic.
That is precisely what Yggdrasil does.
I have a ton of 16/44.1 apple lossless and way too many CDs laying around. I found however, I've just gotten lazy and stream Google play or Youtube Music. I have a family account and my kids love it. My A/V processor or my Oppo does a decent job but I wanna kick it up a notch. I have no interest in buying high resolution. I live in the country and my internet is slow. Therefore, won't be streaming some HiRez anytime soon. Figured the Yggy is the way to go.

Mar 9, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #9,905 of 12,119
unison usb card installed on my yggy. has to be one of the most simple things i've ever done. the only things remotely difficult are reattaching the ribbon cable (only because there's not a lot of space) and making sure you don't strip the threads when reapplying the nut on the bnc connector (just paying a little attention).

hard to say whether it "sounds better' because i also moved by entire setup to another room . . . .

Mar 9, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #9,906 of 12,119
So I was bending down picking something up in front of my speaker when my ear came close to the focal metal tweeter and I got static zapped from my ear arcing to the tweeter.. hurt like hell, the Yiggy shut down instantly.. Turned the switch off and back on and all was well.. Thought maybe I fried the x-over or the tweeter.. but all plays fine and seems well.. first time for everything..
I also zapped my laptop once and the yggy shutdown.. seems their protection oversight is pretty sensitive on the dac.

Mar 9, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #9,907 of 12,119
So I was bending down picking something up in front of my speaker when my ear came close to the focal metal tweeter and I got static zapped from my ear arcing to the tweeter.. hurt like hell, the Yiggy shut down instantly.. Turned the switch off and back on and all was well.. Thought maybe I fried the x-over or the tweeter.. but all plays fine and seems well.. first time for everything..
I also zapped my laptop once and the yggy shutdown.. seems their protection oversight is pretty sensitive on the dac.

i've definitely experienced some static build up in my system, but nothing like that. have you checked to make sure everything is grounded properly (including your outlets)?

Mar 10, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #9,908 of 12,119
i've definitely experienced some static build up in my system, but nothing like that. have you checked to make sure everything is grounded properly (including your outlets)?

Everything seems fine otherwise.. The amps and everything else stayed up and I’m assuming the grounds carried the “shock wave” to ground harmlessly.. winter heat dries out everything and makes for some big zaps.. now I’m sure to touch the metal supports on the rack before i adjust anything on my system.. shocking schiit..

Mar 10, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #9,909 of 12,119
I have a ton of 16/44.1 apple lossless and way too many CDs laying around. I found however, I've just gotten lazy and stream Google play or Youtube Music. I have a family account and my kids love it. My A/V processor or my Oppo does a decent job but I wanna kick it up a notch. I have no interest in buying high resolution. I live in the country and my internet is slow. Therefore, won't be streaming some HiRez anytime soon. Figured the Yggy is the way to go.

it sounds great on some 24/192 recordings too !! I’ve been picking up some of my remastered favorites from HDTracks.. Nothing like a well done remaster of something done right.. I agree that the yggy does redbook very well !

Mar 11, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #9,910 of 12,119
it sounds great on some 24/192 recordings too !! I’ve been picking up some of my remastered favorites from HDTracks.. Nothing like a well done remaster of something done right.. I agree that the yggy does redbook very well !

Like jwcullison, I have all my ripped music on ALAC files, have a load of CDs ( which never get played now) and terrible internet speed!
It means that streaming Hi Resolution is not an option, even though the latest Qobuz offering allows 24/96 and 24/192 for £14.99 per month.
Fortunately, RedBook sounds fantastic on the Yggy, whether from CDs, ALAC files on hard drive or streamed via Qobuz.at 16/44.1

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #9,911 of 12,119
You'll need to use the Apple camera connection kit. A usb cable by itself will only work with Apple compatible devices, which the Yggy is not.

It will also depend on whether the Yggy draws power from thru the USB connection. If it does, you'll need to also use a powered usb hub. If it does not draw power, then the camera connection kit should do the trick.

Does anyone here know whether the Yggy draws power through the USB connection? Or does the CCK work by itself without extra charging?

Mar 16, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #9,912 of 12,119
Does anyone here know whether the Yggy draws power through the USB connection? Or does the CCK work by itself without extra charging?

yes, it draws power from the source.

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #9,913 of 12,119
I received my Yggdrasil with the Unison USB upgrade a couple of weeks ago, and now have had enough listening time on it to report. To my ears with my system, it is a very big improvement of the USB interface. There is a dramatic increase in resolution, clarity, transparency, micro-detail while becoming even more musical with more accurate tonality and timbre. One side effect of this change is that minute recording and other electronic artifacts like EQing have become much more audible and sometimes annoying. But it is well worth it. Congratulations to Schiit!!

Mar 20, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #9,914 of 12,119
I received my Yggdrasil with the Unison USB upgrade a couple of weeks ago, and now have had enough listening time on it to report. To my ears with my system, it is a very big improvement of the USB interface. There is a dramatic increase in resolution, clarity, transparency, micro-detail while becoming even more musical with more accurate tonality and timbre. One side effect of this change is that minute recording and other electronic artifacts like EQing have become much more audible and sometimes annoying. But it is well worth it. Congratulations to Schiit!!
What are the details of your source?

Mar 20, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #9,915 of 12,119

what USB (gen 2 / 3 / 5) interface was in your Yggdrasil prior to the upgrade? Did you also have the Analog 2 upgrade installed at the same time? thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back