Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 3, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #8,761 of 12,059
Jul 3, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #8,762 of 12,059
+1 for BJC

I have some BJ cables, they are decent cables, but they are not in the same league as Signal which, in my system, has bettered Cardas Golden Reference, Triode Wire Labs Spirits, DHLabs Silver Sonic, AQ Columbia, etc. Mind you, in other systems with different loading between components Signal may be ever so slightly worse than most of those, all but the Columbia's were very competitive, in every way other than price, Signal Audio is by far the more reasonable price wise.

I do use Goertz for speaker cables with zobels, but DeWolf, "Bound for Sound" claims that Signal Cables are the best speaker cables sold, in fact, the only commercial cables he recommends. He still slightly preferred some Home Depot cable, but he's tried cables that run thousands of dollars and Signal Cable's speaker cables are the only commercial cables he recommends. I suppose some day I ought to try his Home Depot cables, but in my system, so far, Goertz has spanked all others.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #8,763 of 12,059
I have some BJ cables, they are decent cables, but they are not in the same league as Signal which, in my system, has bettered Cardas Golden Reference, Triode Wire Labs Spirits, DHLabs Silver Sonic, AQ Columbia, etc. Mind you, in other systems with different loading between components Signal may be ever so slightly worse than most of those, all but the Columbia's were very competitive, in every way other than price, Signal Audio is by far the more reasonable price wise.

I do use Goertz for speaker cables with zobels, but DeWolf, "Bound for Sound" claims that Signal Cables are the best speaker cables sold, in fact, the only commercial cables he recommends. He still slightly preferred some Home Depot cable, but he's tried cables that run thousands of dollars and Signal Cable's speaker cables are the only commercial cables he recommends. I suppose some day I ought to try his Home Depot cables, but in my system, so far, Goertz has spanked all others.

Try and detect a difference in speaker cable when subjected to a blind test. If you can, more power to you.

Interconnects are a different story.

Jul 3, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #8,764 of 12,059
R
Try and detect a difference in speaker cable when subjected to a blind test. If you can, more power to you.

Well, they measure differently, only Goertz, and is it Norquist(?) use flat cables, which by far better transmit a much more accurate square wave, so if you can measure a difference as obviously as that, the faster more accurate response likely can be heard. As for DeWolf, I can't really say anything beyond paraphrasing him. OTOH, different weaves certainly ought to alter inductance and capacitance, and different wires will have different resistances, all of which theoretically ought to impact the signal to varying degrees in varying systems. As double blind tests are beyond difficult to do, I will likely never know for sure if your assertion is correct or not!

OTOH, electrical engineer and Peavey engineer Jon Risch claims that he has done said double blind tests, and that there are discernible differences, and as different impedences have varying degrees of demonstrable differences upon signals, I tend to believe that he is right;

http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=speakers&n=55525&highlight=bi-wire+Jon+Risch&r=&search_url=/default.mpl?searchtext=bi-wire+&b=AND&topic=&topics_only=N&author=Jon+Risch&date1=&date2=&slowmessage=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&forum=speakers

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #8,765 of 12,059
I have gone thru sooo many cables over the past 40 years....from the low dollar monoprice stuff to the mega buck oompa lumpa silver gold dragon green over the top
whizz bang cables both speaker and interconnects....

Advice: Save you $$$$.
Blue Jeans will work just fine or for that matter some 10ga wire from Home Depot!!

..and yes I have wasted hours with friends thinking we could tell the difference!! LOL..
with and without beer...

Alex
:deadhorse:

Jul 3, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #8,766 of 12,059
Save yourself some $$$, Sweetwater or Blue Jeans are your friends. Here's a good pro cable for a good price

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AESS3--pro-co-3-foot-premium-canare-aes-ebu-cable

Canare cable, Neutrik connectors. Anything else is over the top IMO.

Sweetwater is the way to go. I purchased a $2500.00 Martin guitar from them. They did a full inspection of the instrument and packed it extremely well for shipment. Arrived in perfect condition.

Jul 3, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #8,767 of 12,059
Love the Sweetwater
My sales rep sent me $110 Mogami gold xlr"s free when I bought my Focal's from them.
And I have 4 years to pay, this was helpful when building a whole system from scratch.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #8,768 of 12,059

I don't know about speaker cable, but the analogous HP cable certainly makes a difference.

Jul 3, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #8,769 of 12,059
Jul 3, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #8,770 of 12,059
Yea I find most cables to sound dark. Then I pull them out of my ear. :)
Haha, I was waiting for someone to say that.

Actually, this cable in particular deviates the most from all of my other AES cables. Perhaps it's defective, but I doubt it.

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #8,771 of 12,059
Your accusation is patently false and uncalled for. I have no idea who NWAVGUY is. I expect such accusations from members, but not owner of this forum. I have provided my full history to anyone who wants to read. I have always and on every forum used my real name. I don't post under aliases. And don't like anyone from the industry doing the same. This includes NWAVGUY, atomicbob or whoever. If you want people to take your technical and professional experience seriously, you need to post under your real credentials so that it can be fully examined by readers.

In addition, I have disputed nwavguy's review and measurements of Behringer. https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements-behringer-uca222.2036/

Is that profile picture actually yours? I know Jason Stoddard's picture is actually... Jason Stoddard. :)

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #8,772 of 12,059
Yes this is me back in the 70's I was very cool :wink:

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #8,774 of 12,059

Users who are viewing this thread

Back