Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 1, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #8,071 of 12,188
Those who have been through several DACs, could somebody explain sonic benefit of using AD5791 over other chips. My intent is not to doubt selection of chip but just to have a better understanding how this chip is influencing sonic of our DAC.

May 1, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #8,072 of 12,188
Those who have been through several DACs, could somebody explain sonic benefit of using AD5791 over other chips. My intent is not to doubt selection of chip but just to have a better understanding how this chip is influencing sonic of our DAC.

In most DACs, its not the chip, it is the implementation...

May 1, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #8,073 of 12,188

Mike Moffat would be the best to answer this one. Even the designer of this parallel input R2R DAC IC at Analog Devices was happily surprised when Mike got this hitched up to do serial input PCM audio.

May 1, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #8,074 of 12,188
Not as lifeless as my Yggy-B on day one I'll bet. Pretty much a clean $159 dac. Like you, I know what they sound like; the "A" I really liked went to a new owner.

Music got REAL on day 9-10. The Yggy "light switch" at a point in time saying "OK, you can enjoy music now" is more dramatic than anything I've experienced with any other component. IMO YMWV

Did you just play music continuously or did you power cycle it occasionally? I got my Yggy back yesterday and it certainly is starting out as "woolly" and constricted...

I have been playing music since then but have heard that turning a device off periodically can help with break-in.

Also do you feel that the upgrade was worthwhile?

May 1, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #8,075 of 12,188
Did you just play music continuously or did you power cycle it occasionally? I got my Yggy back yesterday and it certainly is starting out as "woolly" and constricted...

I have been playing music since then but have heard that turning a device off periodically can help with break-in.

Also do you feel that the upgrade was worthwhile?

I ran 16/44 files to it continuously from 4/10 through 4/24, and which point it seemed seemed to WOW me in terms of the whole presentation. (Beyond my solid memory of Yggy-A for 3 yrs). Then I left it on but not processing, but the last week has been disjointed, and likewise listening to music. But I'm going back to processing files 24/7 for a couple weeks.

Mike Moffat indicated "burping" digital devices VERY briefly can be good, so I've been doing that every couple weeks for the last year or so.

I plan to hot-transport it to the Bottlehead Meet next Saturday, so we'll see how that goes.

"Worthwhile" will have to wait until I settle in for just music listening.

I'll be interested in your experience as it develops.

May 1, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #8,076 of 12,188

Did you see this on the Yggdrasil FAQs page?

How about the DACs and analog stage?
The DACs we're using—AD5791—were billed as "the industry's first true 20-bit DAC" by Analog Devices when they were introduced in 2010. Note the words "first" and "true." This is not 20-bit as defined for audio applications, this is not 24-bit delta-sigma, this is not (nudge, snicker) "32 bit" complete fantasy stuff. These DACs have never been used in an audio product until Yggdrasil. Normally, they are used for medical device imaging and weapons targeting—applications in which accuracy is absolutely paramount. Now, we're using 4 of the highest-spec AD5791BRUZ in this product—2 each per channel, for true differential hardware balanced design.​

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #8,077 of 12,188
Not as lifeless as my Yggy-B on day one I'll bet. Pretty much a clean $159 dac. Like you, I know what they sound like; the "A" I really liked went to a new owner.
That's exactly how I felt when I got mine back after the upgrade.

May 1, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #8,078 of 12,188
How many are in the upgrade queue right now and about how many seem to be going out a week? My piggy bank says I can get serious now.

May 1, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #8,082 of 12,188
Thanks. How much did insurance cost to ship it in with the carriers you guys used?
Have not shipped it yet, still waiting in the queue, they will let me know when they are ready for it, maybe someone that did ship theirs can answer this...??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back