Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 23, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #6,706 of 12,194
I am really shocked at how much is being made out of this.. the heart of the DACs architecture is still the same, I will be extremely skeptical of those that will inevitable come on here claiming that this upgrade transforms the performance of the yggy and it is now the in another class.

I do believe that meaning full progress can be made with improvement to the output boards, but unless there was an overt problem with old ones, the improvement will be subtle.

When I send mine off I am not expecting a new device on return.

I am glad schiit is continuing to support existing units with these updates.

Certainly a prudent way to set expectations. But of course we’re dealing with subjectivity here and depending on what pushes your audio buttons, the difference might be big or small...or completely non-existent for that matter. I think it’ll be very interesting!

Jan 23, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #6,707 of 12,194
I am really shocked at how much is being made out of this.. the heart of the DACs architecture is still the same, I will be extremely skeptical of those that will inevitable come on here claiming that this upgrade transforms the performance of the yggy and it is now the in another class.

I do believe that meaning full progress can be made with improvement to the output boards, but unless there was an overt problem with old ones, the improvement will be subtle.

How can you say that the heart of the DAC's architecture is the same when the board that houses the digital to analog converter chips is replaced?

Jan 23, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #6,708 of 12,194
Because the are not changing the digital aspect of it. They are changing the analog aspect which comes after. It just happens that with the way they chose to lay it out those things are on the same board. Just like they opted to have usb on its own board..etc, etc. Many varying reasons for these design choices.

Jan 23, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #6,709 of 12,194
There is also a firmware upgrade that affects the digital operation.

Jan 23, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #6,710 of 12,194
Indeed, but that is another thing entirely. Also didn't Mike say that was to fix that measurement glitch.

Jan 23, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #6,711 of 12,194
Mike did say he fixed the "glitch". Since it has been several years since the firmware has been changed, once you are going to modify one section of code, the odds are in favor that other parts of the code were also modified. I am not insinuating anything major.

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #6,712 of 12,194
I am really shocked at how much is being made out of this.. the heart of the DACs architecture is still the same, I will be extremely skeptical of those that will inevitable come on here claiming that this upgrade transforms the performance of the yggy and it is now the in another class

IMO the most important part of any DAC is it’s analog output stage.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #6,713 of 12,194
That's and interesting opinion.

If that is the case, why would any designer bother with expensive R2R chips, complicated resistor ladders or programmable field gate arrays? And never spend any time with filters and noise shaping.

I would think the pertinent thing to do is source the cheapest DS chip you can get and pour the money into an output stage littered with the best most exotic caps, resistors etc.

Because clearly if that is where you spend the money you will leap a head of the pack.

Edit: And I absolutely will be doing the upgrade BTW but I am metered in my expectations. I am sure there will be improvement over the original. I will wait until an announcement is made regarding the Gadget. Because it has been mentioned that it may be possible to add that functionality to the yggy as an upgrade rather than a stand alone device. I really don't want to send it off twice potentially in a few months. Also I just built a new audio cabinet and I will take a saved shelf it I can get it..

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #6,714 of 12,194

Do you remember how I was wanting to change the fuse (not to be discussed).... Well? What I was hearing (some call it grey) may be the very thing MM addressed, because he heard it too..

We'll see.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #6,715 of 12,194
Wot...?
You mean that the analog upgrade is the replacing of an unmentionable non-polarised component for a superior non-polarised component in the correct polarity direction.....?
WOW....!

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #6,716 of 12,194
Jan 23, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #6,717 of 12,194
Wot...?
You mean that the analog upgrade is the replacing of an unmentionable non-polarised component for a superior non-polarised component in the correct polarity direction.....?
WOW....!
Who are you talking to? And, about what?
scratch.gif

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #6,718 of 12,194
To the great unwashed?

Though his statement was a bit esoteric.

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #6,719 of 12,194
I think everyone needs to cool it about this upgrade. I am confident it will be a subtle improvement. Comments have already been made on another forum that it is an improvement, but at this level of DAC it can be called splitting hairs. I just want to hear from people who have the Ver. 2 board.

I am going to upgrade, but don't feel the need to do it immediately.

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #6,720 of 12,194
I think everyone needs to cool it about this upgrade. I am confident it will be a subtle improvement. Comments have already been made on another forum that it is an improvement, but at this level of DAC it can be called splitting hairs. I just want to hear from people who have the Ver. 2 board.

I am going to upgrade, but don't feel the need to do it immediately.

Hear hear (!) I can't offer a comparison as I only recently bought my Yggy, but I can say, WOW! The shear musicality of the Yggy is simply amazing. I'm total frustrated with the fact that I can only get an hour per day listening as my house mate is editing a book :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back