Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Nov 20, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #6,091 of 12,119
Lol.

Because last week I was told that the Yggy's holes are not ventilation holes I did
this:

169857.jpg

Seems okay. Yggy is not complaining or getting hotter and I can hide that ugly silver a bit. Win win.

I think it looks good on your shelf like that. Blends in well.

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #6,092 of 12,119
The Yggy should be complaining about a damn Analog monkey on it's Digital back....:ksc75smile:

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #6,093 of 12,119
The Yggy should be complaining about a damn Analog monkey on it's Digital back....:ksc75smile:

Yeah! I kinda get that. It cracks me up like a war of two formats. Yggy wins by a large margin.
I only play vinyl when I've had too much to drink.

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #6,094 of 12,119
I would think you might want to reverse that and play digital when inebriated. Oh, your poor records.

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #6,095 of 12,119
I would think you might want to reverse that and play digital when inebriated. Oh, your poor records.

I saved hundreds of records from the dump actually.
Someone I know had them ready to throw away. I took them.
Some of the best on this wall. The Bob Dylan record is an original 60's pressing.

160851.jpg

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #6,096 of 12,119
Last few weeks I've been too busy to listen closely to my speaker syste, but finally I got a bit of evening to re-listen to the recent ECM release of Anouar Brahem's Blue Maqams. If there's a recording better suited for my system (Yggy>Hegel 360>KEF Reference 1+REL T7i), I want to know! ECM's house style has sometimes too much reverb for my taste, but this is perfect, just the touch of space needed to bring out the delicate work of the ensemble (besides Brahem, Django Bates on piano, Dave Holland on bass, and Jack DeJohnette on drums). When some critics diss the Yggy for not separating instruments enough, I think that what they want is artificial separation to "fix" muddled recordings. Having heard both Holland and DeJohnette live many times, I can attest that their instruments come through here just right.

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #6,097 of 12,119
After almost 2 years here will be in Feb 2018, no, nadda noise even with your era at the unit.
May need to be looked at? No warranty used, unless the previous owner helps.

No Noise in mine. I would suggest emailing Schiit to see what they can do for you.

Congrats on the yggy. If you're sure about the Yggdrasil being the source of the hum, and the seller didn't identify this you could look into getting your money back. Good luck and sorry that happened.

Thanks for weighing in you guys. None of the other Schiit gear (or anything else) I've had in this apartment has been as loud as this Yggy. The previous owner didn't experience any issues having it plugged into a PS Audio P5 (I do happen to trust him). Our apartment building is located right next to a busy bridge that feeds downtown Vancouver, so there's quite a "noise floor" ever present here anyway. I think I can live with the relatively minor/mildly irritating hum. Next summer we plan to move to a much, much quieter (and siiiiignificantly less costly) rural setting, and I think I'll wait until that time to send it to Schiit to have 'em look at it. Perhaps that will coincide with the release of another upgrade for the Yggdrasil anyway. Shipping in and out of Canada (or in and out of the States?) can be costly and also a pain at times.

All that aside, I'm thus far reeeeeaaaally enjoying the crap outta feeding this thing with lossless audio from my early 2015 13" Macbook Pro through USB (Gen 5) to my Audio-gd Master 9. For the foreseeable future, I feel I've truly arrived to a place of sonic contentment.

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #6,098 of 12,119
You can always email Schiit and ask them for help.
And has anything else changed in your setup from the Gumby to the Jggy?

JJ

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #6,100 of 12,119
You can leave it on all of the time and there are only two buttons.. One for the inputs and another to invert phase.

If it had volume on it like some dacs or other features I would understand the need, but seriously if you include a power button on it a yggy remote has only 3 buttons.

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #6,101 of 12,119
You can leave it on all of the time and there are only two buttons.. One for the inputs and another to invert phase.

If it had volume on it like some dacs or other features I would understand the need, but seriously if you include a power button on it a yggy remote has only 3 buttons.
The only button I'm concerned about is the input button. Phase and power don't matter to me. My stuff is left on and I don't fool around with phase. I use input frequently as nearly all the inputs on my current DAC are used. I would be using either a Emotiva DC-1 or an Audio GD HE-1 as a preamp.
I did find this microbot that pushes buttons. Unfortunately it only works with a phone app or a secondary hub- no remote.
https://www.amazon.com/MicroBot-Push-Wireless-Automation-Platinum/dp/B071V7Y864

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #6,102 of 12,119
A robot like that is probably your only hope. I can't see how adding a ir receiver and interface to the dac and developing a 3 button remote will make sense at this point. Also yggy does change inputs slowly. I know this frustrates some people who switch frequently.

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #6,103 of 12,119
A robot like that is probably your only hope. I can't see how adding a ir receiver and interface to the dac and developing a 3 button remote will make sense at this point. Also yggy does change inputs slowly. I know this frustrates some people who switch frequently.
Hehe I only want one button. Though it would make sense with a remote to have a button for each input.
I'm used to their slower clicking relays so that's ok with me. Since remotes have been around for nearly 70 years, I'm hoping Schiit will get with the program! So far, they appear to have done so for their preamps which is nice. Hopefully they'll start introducing them with their revisions.

But with the introduction of their flagship multibit dacs like the Ygdrassil, people are looking to use their units in their living rooms and audio rooms. It's no longer relegated to headphone rigs. I feel like it's a small change to allow for a much larger market.

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #6,104 of 12,119
Hehe I only want one button. Though it would make sense with a remote to have a button for each input.
I'm used to their slower clicking relays so that's ok with me. Since remotes have been around for nearly 70 years, I'm hoping Schiit will get with the program! So far, they appear to have done so for their preamps which is nice. Hopefully they'll start introducing them with their revisions.

But with the introduction of their flagship multibit dacs like the Ygdrassil, people are looking to use their units in their living rooms and audio rooms. It's no longer relegated to headphone rigs. I feel like it's a small change to allow for a much larger market.

Well, the multibit sound belongs to speakers where they really make the speakers breath life to sound. The depth and imaging of Yggy is best displayed on speakers than headphones IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back