Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Oct 22, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #5,942 of 12,194
Rumor has it there is a known (to Schiit) problem with the GEN 5 USB software, that prevents it from playing 24-bit.

I am running Eitr with my Yggy and no issues with 24 bit downloads. By far the best USB implementation I have experienced.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #5,943 of 12,194
The USB Gen 5 24 bit rumor is a fact. The card advertises it can do 32 bit when it cannot and some drivers do not work. Specifically it is a problem for Roon / microrendu. The issue opened in the Roon website is closed as a software/hardware issue with the Schiit usb gen5.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #5,944 of 12,194
For what it's worth, I have the Gen 5 USB upgrade installed on the Yggy by Schiit, and I have not experienced any issues using Roon and the Ultrarendu with it since it came back. This 24 bit rumor was made known when my unit was at Schiit for the upgrade, so maybe they fixed whatever problem there was with it? I can't tell. There was no official confirmation of what Schiit did about it, because they did not respond to any of my e-mail inquiries regarding the subject. Still, my unit does not seem to have the problem so water under the bridge... and blah, blah, blah...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #5,945 of 12,194
The USB Gen 5 24 bit rumor is a fact. The card advertises it can do 32 bit when it cannot and some drivers do not work. Specifically it is a problem for Roon / microrendu. The issue opened in the Roon website is closed as a software/hardware issue with the Schiit usb gen5.
Then it's not a 24bit playback issue. It plays 24bit just fine. The issue you mentioned would affect 16bit playback too. I don't understand why it was labeled as a 24bit problem.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #5,946 of 12,194
Rumor has it there is a known (to Schiit) problem with the GEN 5 USB software, that prevents it from playing 24-bit.
I have two Gen 5 devices RPi 3+RuneAudio>Bimby Gen 5 and Allo USBridge+DietPi>Eitr. No problem with 24 bits on either. Neither my Eitr nor my Gen 5 Bimby advertise 32 bits, I've checked the relevant logs.

There might have been an issue in pre-release or early release Gen 5, but if there was, it seems to be gone because no one on any of the multiple forums I read has reported it with specific data.

Sharing actual experience, with specific data, may be useful. Sharing rumors is not.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #5,947 of 12,194
Sharing actual experience, with specific data, may be useful. Sharing rumors is not.
I have an Eitr that advertises 32bit. I ordered it on a second or third day after it was released.
upload_2017-10-22_15-41-58.png

I have to limit to 24bit in JRiver for example. So far it has been manageable but annoying.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #5,949 of 12,194
Did I say there was a problem with the Eitr?,No.
I have explained the problem I put it out there for buyers who are having problems, not fans that want to argue.

You said Gen 5, which is also contained in EITR. I didn’t realize the issue was only limited to Yggy’s Gen 5 implementation.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #5,950 of 12,194

this is utterly ridiculous. i have no problem at all playing 24 bit music with a gen5 yggy.

it's best to articulate your experience, not spread unsubstantiated rumors.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #5,951 of 12,194
I have an Eitr that advertises 32bit. I ordered it on a second or third day after it was released.

I have to limit to 24bit in JRiver for example. So far it has been manageable but annoying.

note that that list only applies when using shared mode so incorporates windows audio system. below that is a check box for exclusive mode -- you should have that checked so that your player software can do all of the processing.

i do find it weird that schiit doesn't put any bit rate specifications for the eitr on their website. yggy clearly states that is does a max of 24 bits.

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #5,952 of 12,194
Did I say there was a problem with the Eitr?,No.
I have explained the problem I put it out there for buyers who are having problems, not fans that want to argue.
There were a few early reports elsewhere of Eitr mis-advertising bit depths. Eitr and Gen 5 use much the same hardware and microcode. However, if the problem did indeed exist on the Schiit side -- as opposed to driver weirdness -- it has not been observed by most users, including me -- and I checked because of those early reports. But then, most of us -- including me -- waited a while before ordering, as prudence with new versions of anything suggests :wink: It's possible that a problem was fixed on Schiit's side with new microcode, so newer units work correctly. Certainly, mine do. In which case, people who have the problem should be bugging Schiit to fix their faulty units. IOW, at most this is a standard early bug problem with a standard fix: return the faulty item for replacement or repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back