Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 19, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #5,581 of 12,058
Never blame the YGGY for a Cavalli amp performance......
I'm not, just reporting what I read in other forums.
I believe in good and bad matches but I also understand its quite subjective.
When choosing my actual setup for instance, I read about a good match between Hugo, Liquid Carbon and Ether C. I tried and loved it.

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #5,582 of 12,058
I love the Yggy with both the Liquid Gold and Liquid Carbon V1 brings the HD800 very close to my SR-009 on the Yggy and BHSE or LL2SS.
Different flavors but all very good.

I see no issue pairing the Yggy with any of the Cavalli amps I have or have listened to over the years.

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #5,583 of 12,058
I love the Yggy with both the Liquid Gold and Liquid Carbon V1 brings the HD800 very close to my SR-009 on the Yggy and BHSE or LL2SS.

I already have both liquid carbon and HD800 and consider getting yggy in the future. Can you give a short comparison with yggy - liquid gold - HD800 and yggy - liquid carbon - HD800?

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #5,584 of 12,058

I see no issue pairing the Yggy with any of the Cavalli amps I have or have listened to over the years.
Thanks, I am in fact very happy with my Liquid Carbon so I will give it a chance with the Yggy.

I am also considering the Ragnarok even though I'm not sure about its headphone section performance. Maybe I'd better invest the same money on a dedicated headphone amp?

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #5,585 of 12,058
Thanks, I am in fact very happy with my Liquid Carbon so I will give it a chance with the Yggy.

I am also considering the Ragnarok even though I'm not sure about its headphone section performance. Maybe I'd better invest the same money on a dedicated headphone amp?
For me, Neurochrome HP-1 > Jot > LC (DACs: Bimby or Holo Spring KTE 3; phones: MrSpeakers Ether C Flow or Æeon) mainly because you get better instrument separation going up the ladder, and the LC sounds a bit too warm/romantic to me (great on some works, fuzzy on the rest). Jot wins hands down on performance/price. But more tube-y oriented listeners would be likely distressed by the straight-edge sound of HP-1 and Jot, vs the warmer LC. I've not tried these amps/phones with my Yggy, which feeds my 2-channel system, too much hassle moving gear around the house.

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #5,586 of 12,058
OT for this thread but...I have not heard Ragnarok but it's my clear recollection Jason designed and built it as Schiit's flagship headphone amp.

That it was configured to drive speakers too speaks to its power capability.
It doesn't mean - as I understand it - Ragnarok's headphone section is compromised compared to a 'dedicated' hp amp.

Aug 19, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #5,587 of 12,058
It's surprising how similar the sound is between these two amps. However IMO, the Gold gives more expansive soundstage, better definition, and more substantial bass which you would expect in a top line amp. The carbon is easier to move around due to its size and weight. The Gold has quite a bit mnore power, also. Hope this helps. I use the carbon on its own with my QP1R as a bedroom or office rig to whatever headphones I feel like using (GH1G, Aeon, HD800, HE500) and it does a very good job. The YGGY is in the living room driving all my main amps.

I already have both liquid carbon and HD800 and consider getting yggy in the future. Can you give a short comparison with yggy - liquid gold - HD800 and yggy - liquid carbon - HD800?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #5,588 of 12,058
It's surprising how similar the sound is between these two amps. However IMO, the Gold gives more expansive soundstage, better definition, and more substantial bass which you would expect in a top line amp. The carbon is easier to move around due to its size and weight. The Gold has quite a bit mnore power, also. Hope this helps. I use the carbon on its own with my QP1R as a bedroom or office rig to whatever headphones I feel like using (GH1G, Aeon, HD800, HE500) and it does a very good job. The YGGY is in the living room driving all my main amps.

Surprising! Especially with the price difference for both amps.

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #5,589 of 12,058
snip
I am also considering the Ragnarok even though I'm not sure about its headphone section performance.
snip
OT for this thread but...I have not heard Ragnarok but it's my clear recollection Jason designed and built it as Schiit's flagship headphone amp.

That it was configured to drive speakers too speaks to its power capability.
It doesn't mean - as I understand it - Ragnarok's headphone section is compromised compared to a 'dedicated' hp amp.
The Rok is primarily a headphone amp that is also powerful enough to drive 4Ω speakers.
There is no difference (in terms of the amplifier output) between the speaker taps and the 4 pin XLR outs.

IOW there is only one pair of output amplifiers and they feed both speakers and HP's.

And since it was designed to be used with HP's, the speakers gain the extra advantage of lowered noise floor.
Also since it runs 4w/ch in class A, headphones will ALWAYS run in class A operation with but a very few exceptions where you might need more power.

Again, in effect the speakers are driven by a very powerful and capable headphone amp.

JJ

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #5,590 of 12,058
The Rok is primarily a headphone amp that is also powerful enough to drive 4Ω speakers.
There is no difference (in terms of the amplifier output) between the speaker taps and the 4 pin XLR outs.

IOW there is only one pair of output amplifiers and they feed both speakers and HP's.

And since it was designed to be used with HP's, the speakers gain the extra advantage of lowered noise floor.
Also since it runs 4w/ch in class A, headphones will ALWAYS run in class A operation with but a very few exceptions where you might need more power.

Again, in effect the speakers are driven by a very powerful and capable headphone amp.

JJ

Thanks a lot, very clear.
It's surprising I don't see much talking about the Rok around, especially as a combo with the Yggy which should be its natural partner,
I'm now curious and will try to audition them together even though it will be difficult.

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #5,591 of 12,058
I figure most who have either of these units or have paired them together, figure by now most know of their 'suitability' and are just content to enjoy them.

When paired, they can bring the magic to a whole nuther level.
I know they do so for me.

And be sure and give them enough continual 'ON' time so they fully settle in.
The Jggy especially rewards our appreciation of its capabilities after it stabilizes and The Rok does so as well but to a lessor extent.

JJ

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #5,592 of 12,058
With all these USB driver issues, I wonder if I should write a guide on how to set up a simple networked music server using a Raspberry Pi or similar?

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #5,593 of 12,058
With all these USB driver issues, I wonder if I should write a guide on how to set up a simple networked music server using a Raspberry Pi or similar?
Yeah that would help. I have a Sotm sms-200 which works great with the Hugo, not sure if with the Yggy there will be any issues.

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #5,594 of 12,058
I figure most who have either of these units or have paired them together, figure by now most know of their 'suitability' and are just content to enjoy them.

When paired, they can bring the magic to a whole nuther level.
I know they do so for me.

And be sure and give them enough continual 'ON' time so they fully settle in.
The Jggy especially rewards our appreciation of its capabilities after it stabilizes and The Rok does so as well but to a lessor extent.

JJ

I'm one of those very contended owner of Yggdrasil and Ragnarok. Drives my HD800 and Audeze LCD-2f beautifully. Sounds perfect to my ears.

Now I have the ZMF Eikon and Atticus incoming and I can't wait to listen to them on Yggy and Rggy.

Oh my tube amp isn't used much these days since I got Yggy and Rggy 3 months ago. :)

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #5,595 of 12,058
The YGGY Rok combo was the first setup that made me actually think the LCD3 was any good. Still dont own them, though. Before that I was never impressed with the LCD3. Still like the HD800 better. FWIW, IMO and all that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back