Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 17, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #5,267 of 12,119
R2R DACs (or in this case String/Ladder hybrid DACs) need to be at a stable warm temperature to operate at their best. It's not a small difference either.

In saying that would an hour before use be enough time to warm the up?

Jun 17, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #5,269 of 12,119
I'm not sure, depends on how long it's been off. If you turn it on/off everyday and let it warm up 1 hour I would imagine it being okay.

I thought you were going to answer "no way"

So that's positive.

See my issue is Mon-Fri I don't listen to music. I work too long during the week. 8AM - 8PM.
Only time I listen is Friday night, Sat and Sun morning maybe?

So the best solution is to turn it off Mon-Thu. Turn on Friday morning so it's warm for that night and turn off Sunday night.

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #5,270 of 12,119
I had the same feeling at first Badas. But now, i don't even know if its on or not - its always on and i have covered all lights .... on the down side, i have been working more from home and the Yggy does take away my work focus at times.
Thanks for the ideas around Ethernet to AES solutions. My experience with USB has been hit and miss. I am convinced the electrical noise through USB can be daunting to resolve hence want to move away from it for good.
Is there any DIY type solution such as Rasberry Pi or SOTM .... i see all of them use USB input but some folks mentioned of possible tweaking.

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #5,271 of 12,119
I have seen some use the Hifiberry Digi+ with the Rasberry PI.
I bought the version with the coax and optical, but have not implemented them yet, too many projects have gotten in the way and my Oppo has been doing a good job so far.

Jun 18, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #5,272 of 12,119
About 1 month ago, I brought Yggy home from Addicted To Audio in Newton, Sydney, Australia. Upon unpacking, I read the user manual before switching it on. I came upon page 7 with the subject title ....

IMPORTANT

We recommend leaving Yggdrasil on continuously for best performance. Seriously. No Kidding.

Yes, we know, this sounds like hoo-ha about 'burn-in' and magick discs/stones/markers/etc. But in Yggy's case, this is the real thing, and a serious recommendation.
Why? Because the mil-spec D/A converters in Yggy really do operate best once they're up to temperature. As with a lot of other components inside the box. So, the logical solution
(at a power cost of $50 - 100 per year, depending on where you live) is simply to turn it on, and leave it on. This is facilitated by inconveniently placing the power switch in the rear.

So what will you hear as Yggy warms up? Hell, we're not going to speculate on what you hear... but we're sure you'll hear impressions from plenty of reviewers, and you can listen
for yourself, and make your own decisions.

Soooo ...... turn it on, leave it on, and see if you can't hear a difference after it's been on for a few days. And yes, this applies to first turn-on, too.

So ever since the 20th May 2017, it has been on. The sound changes most after a week of constant usage and power on. Generally I don't even power off my PC, so I am quite comfortable in leaving Yggy
on as per manufacturer's recommendation.

Without rehashing what has already been said about this DAC, I would simply say that Yggy sounds incredible in my setup. It is worth every cent invested in it.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #5,273 of 12,119
About 1 month ago, I brought Yggy home from Addicted To Audio in Newton, Sydney, Australia. Upon unpacking, I read the user manual before switching it on. I came upon page 7 with the subject title ....

IMPORTANT

We recommend leaving Yggdrasil on continuously for best performance. Seriously. No Kidding.

Yes, we know, this sounds like hoo-ha about 'burn-in' and magick discs/stones/markers/etc. But in Yggy's case, this is the real thing, and a serious recommendation.
Why? Because the mil-spec D/A converters in Yggy really do operate best once they're up to temperature. As with a lot of other components inside the box. So, the logical solution
(at a power cost of $50 - 100 per year, depending on where you live) is simply to turn it on, and leave it on. This is facilitated by inconveniently placing the power switch in the rear.

So what will you hear as Yggy warms up? Hell, we're not going to speculate on what you hear... but we're sure you'll hear impressions from plenty of reviewers, and you can listen
for yourself, and make your own decisions.

Soooo ...... turn it on, leave it on, and see if you can't hear a difference after it's been on for a few days. And yes, this applies to first turn-on, too.

So ever since the 20th May 2017, it has been on. The sound changes most after a week of constant usage and power on. Generally I don't even power off my PC, so I am quite comfortable in leaving Yggy
on as per manufacturer's recommendation.

Without rehashing what has already been said about this DAC, I would simply say that Yggy sounds incredible in my setup. It is worth every cent invested in it.
I had the same feeling at first Badas. But now, i don't even know if its on or not - its always on and i have covered all lights .... on the down side, i have been working more from home and the Yggy does take away my work focus at times.
Thanks for the ideas around Ethernet to AES solutions. My experience with USB has been hit and miss. I am convinced the electrical noise through USB can be daunting to resolve hence want to move away from it for good.
Is there any DIY type solution such as Rasberry Pi or SOTM .... i see all of them use USB input but some folks mentioned of possible tweaking.

Yeah! I've given up. I'm just going to leave it on. Weird feeling tho. I don't overly like it.

I've covered up the lights. As lights are no good in home theaters (My HT: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=Badas).
So with time I will forget that I have it on all the time.

The sound is amazing.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #5,274 of 12,119
It's currently pretty damn hot in the UK, and my Yggy is quite hot to the touch.
It's not quite on the levels of steak-cooker, but it's close to what I'd consider on the verge of not being able to keep my hand on.
I realize the enclosure acts as a heat sink, but how hot is too hot?

Anyone who actually lives in a properly hot country or inside of a volcano have any experiences with a very hot Yggy?
I'm not that worried, because the manual does state that it runs at higher temps, but I'd still like to have my mind eased.

Still really happy with the device by the way.
This is one of the most satisfying upgrades I've ever made - time to improve my vinyl rig.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #5,275 of 12,119
It's currently pretty damn hot in the UK, and my Yggy is quite hot to the touch.
It's not quite on the levels of steak-cooker, but it's close to what I'd consider on the verge of not being able to keep my hand on.
I realize the enclosure acts as a heat sink, but how hot is too hot?

Anyone who actually lives in a properly hot country or inside of a volcano have any experiences with a very hot Yggy?
I'm not that worried, because the manual does state that it runs at higher temps, but I'd still like to have my mind eased.

Still really happy with the device by the way.
This is one of the most satisfying upgrades I've ever made - time to improve my vinyl rig.

I've had mine for two years, usual 70 degree+ f room temp, always warm to touch, never "hot" like my amplifiers. Adequate ventilation all around it.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #5,276 of 12,119
I have a Yggdrasil. I am using it with a 5 meter usb cable. Would getting a Audiophilleo improve the sound or is the Yggy usb presentation good enough without the Audiophilleo. My thoughts are with a 5 meter usb cable the Audiophilleo ( direct connection to the BNC jack ) by reclocking and optimizing the digital input would improve the sound quality.

I am happy and satisfied with my music with the Yggy's usb implementation. However I am looking to improve my SQ if possible.

Has anybody on this board experienced a Yggy with an Audiophilleo :

Did it improve the SQ of the Yggy if so was it a large improvement ( night & day ) a small improvement ( not worth the cost of the Audiophilleo ) or was it somewhere in between these extremes ?

Thanks

Bob

Jun 19, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #5,278 of 12,119
Has anyone used AES on yggy, then gone back to USB?
No, but I have gone from USB to AES on both my Yggdrasils after testing it out on one of them :wink:
AES gives best quality. USB on Yggdrasil is good, but not compared to USB interface of AudioByte Hydra-Z with Hydra-ZPM (and others like that). AES is the best, then BNC, Coax SPDIF, USB then optical. The difference is not extreme, but the sound with AES gets a bit more focused and clean. Easier to position the different instruments in the room and more details in the instruments.

The owner of Audiobyte and Rockna also recommended me to use AES if I2S was not available as a general rule. I have also done extensive listening while switching between the different inputs. Always end up with the same list (mentioned previously in post).

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #5,279 of 12,119
Hello music friends. I just bought Yggdrasil.
Sorry to ask, maybe someone already explain that..
But it seems that xlr output are the best for sonic performance, and I was wondering the best cables that you recomend. I was thinking audioquest water VS silver dragon Vs Mogami quad. Mogami is the less expensive (120$ both cable.) i really don't know if I should spend 500$ in audiosquest or silver dragons
Can someone give me a hand in this matter?
Thanks
Don't listen to people telling you that a 5 USD XLR interconnect cable is the same as one to 500 USD. XLR on the Yggdrasil is the best if the rest of your system is fully balanced; else it does not matter. I personally use Nordost Heimdall 2 XLR-cables between Yggdrasil and my headphone amplifier (Moon 430HAD). I have no problems hearing the difference (I have tested out a lot, what works for me might not work according to your preferences). Please ask to borrow home some of the cables you are considering and test them at your setup. Buy the one you like best. If you can not hear any difference it could be that you are not trained enough to hear the difference, or the system is not resolvent enough. No point buying something expensive if you can not hear any difference, but there is a difference - regardless what someone claims!

Edit:
It is also important to match cables to your system. Yggdrasil is fairly bright (forward) in sound signature; and silver cable tends to give brighter sound. So you need to test in your setup to know what is according to your liking. Again someone will probably convince you that difference is only in your head. Get a friend or wife to switch cables while you sit with closed eyes - and you will know if the difference is real or just in your head :)

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #5,280 of 12,119
The argument over expensive cables goes all the way back to 1979 when Noel Lee first introduced Monster Cables. It has been raging ever since. The argument is always the same. If you can't hear a difference there is something wrong with you or your system. And, of course, that usually quickly degenerates into a food fight. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on cables, but that was when I was young and foolish. Not so much these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back