Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 9, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #5,086 of 12,194
Come on, johnjen, you have to admit that you are just a bit over the top on this. I plugged my "Kill A Watt" into every receptacle in my house that might get an audio device or computer serving audio tracks. Every socket in every receptacle was at 118.2v or better and dead nuts on 60Hz. I don't have a meter capable of measure AC RMS. But, I do have a nice 2.5kVa Topaz Isolation Transformer for the audio gear to plug into and a 1.8kVa Topaz Isolation Transformer for the computer gear to plug into. This keeps the all the SMPS dirtiness on the computer side from affecting the audio side and keeps the power nice and clean for the audio equipment.

The audio equipment that I will have plugged into the Topaz includes DAC, preamp, and amp(s). All of these devices have built in AC/DC transformers of some kind that cannot be replaced with LPS units. The best way to limit the noise from the conversion process is to use a power strip with as low an impedance between AC plugs as you can get.

I don't know that I could do anything to clean up my power more and I don't know that I could do anything to reduce noise more. And I have done it without going stupid crazy!!

Even my current computer to DAC setup is pretty good right now. I feed USB straight into a Singxer F-1, which has built-in isolation chips, and then SPDIF coax into my Yggdrasil. The Singxer F-1 should isolate the Yggdrasil from any ground loops and AC leakage from the USB connection. But, I am going to test an ISO Regen in my setup when they are shipped out in the next week or so just to see if I can make it better. My near term goal (within 6 months) is to eliminate USB from the picture entirely and use something like the Auralic Aries to feed tracks to my Yggdrasil via AES/EBU.

I understand what you are trying to accomplish. But you make it sound so damn complicated and vodooey. It's not. And we don't need LPSes everywhere to get great sound.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #5,087 of 12,194
This simply is not the forum to continue any of this.

Thanks for your consideration.

JJ

May 9, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #5,089 of 12,194
Hi!

May i kindly ask you guys if you have been able to;

1. Compare the Yggdrasil and Vega Dac
2. Tried the Auralic / Yggdrasil Combo

Thank you. :)

Whill

I can share my impression for point 2 if you're referring to the Taurus Mk II which I previously owned. With the yggy, you get a vast soundstage with exceptional depth, very precise sound and instrument separation. Could be a little clinical if you're using analytical headphones, but some have reported a little warmth through darker headphones.

May 9, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #5,090 of 12,194
I can share my impression for point 2 if you're referring to the Taurus Mk II which I previously owned. With the yggy, you get a vast soundstage with exceptional depth, very precise sound and instrument separation. Could be a little clinical if you're using analytical headphones, but some have reported a little warmth through darker headphones.

Thank you TopSpin70.

I am using T1 2nd Generation as my main headphones.

May 9, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #5,091 of 12,194
Thank you TopSpin70.

I am using T1 2nd Generation as my main headphones.

I haven't had the pleasure of listening to the famous T1 so I can't comment.

If you want an amp that gives you total insight into what the yggy can output, you can't really go wrong with the Taurus MK II. To borrow a term from DAR, it's like a MRI into your music. Provided that's what you like.

One thing to note though, it's too powerful for IEMs. Very audible hum. So it limits your choices to headphones.

May 10, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #5,092 of 12,194
I was thinking of adding a audiophile fuse to the Yggy.

I read in the thread that the fuse is rated for: 5x20 / 630mA / Fast Blow / 250v
And that the current one is either a glass 217 type or a ceramic 216 type fuse.

I was hoping to replace it with either a Furutech or Synergistic Research fuse, but they don't seem to sell any in 630mA, but instead they have 500mA 800mA fuse types.

Would buying a higher rated 5x20 fuse at 800mA damage anything or would the lower rated 500mA be the correct option?

May 10, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #5,093 of 12,194
It has been my experience that the fuse ratings manufacturers use are 'conservative'.
I'd opt for the 800mA quick blow SR Quantum in what ever color (standard, Red or Black) that you want to throw at this.

JJ

May 10, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #5,094 of 12,194
Greetings!

Currently my Oppo BDP 95 does the DAC duty - either while playing CD or playing FLAC files through USB. However, I have this itch of having a separate DAC..........you know what I mean :ksc75smile:

Did anyone try comparing the Yggy to a Cranesong Solaris or Dangerous Music Convert 2 yet? I read in another forum that those 2 DACs show similar qualities like musicality, resolution, sound-staging etc. I see that @Torq has those 2 on his list. But he has a huge list i.e several other DACs on that list.

Since Yggy is out of stock as of now, I am having second thoughts :triportsad: Or should I buy a Gumby? Would the Gumby be better than the Oppo in SQ?

I know I am being impatient.........

May 11, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #5,095 of 12,194
Greetings!

Currently my Oppo BDP 95 does the DAC duty - either while playing CD or playing FLAC files through USB. However, I have this itch of having a separate DAC..........you know what I mean :ksc75smile:

Did anyone try comparing the Yggy to a Cranesong Solaris or Dangerous Music Convert 2 yet? I read in another forum that those 2 DACs show similar qualities like musicality, resolution, sound-staging etc. I see that @Torq has those 2 on his list. But he has a huge list i.e several other DACs on that list.

Since Yggy is out of stock as of now, I am having second thoughts :triportsad: Or should I buy a Gumby? Would the Gumby be better than the Oppo in SQ?

I know I am being impatient.........

How many cans do you have now, or expect to have in the next year? That's how many "new" and "vastly improved" cans you will have with Yggy.

May 11, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #5,096 of 12,194
Hello!

(I'm new to the forum, but a long-time reader. I posted a message on the introductions thread. Firstly: thank you for your insights! I have been following these forums quite closely.)

So: I am an aspiring musician, I play the piano, and have started to experiment with virtual instruments. I planned to have a sound system with which I can listen and study music, that I could as well connect through midi to my keyboard, using a sampled instrument (Synthogy Ivory II). I also wanted to have a such a system that would not need to be replaced in the near future, that would produce the sound of the piano in a most realistic way possible. Based on my readings here, I sold my Apogee Duet, and acquired a set of an Yggdrasil and a Ragnarok, both in black.

My experimenting is half way there, I have a good feeling about this.

However, I noticed that there might be some latency that the Yggdrasil produces, that seemed to be more that I was getting from a Modi Multibit. I contacted Schiit to ask about this, but they said they don't test latencies with their products.

I wonder if somebody can help me with this:

1) does anybody know how much latency the Yggdrasil produces? What about the Modi Multibit?
2) Are there any differences in latency between USB, AES/EBU and SPDIF connections?
3) What about using converters, i.e. Singxer SU-1, or the possible Eitr?

Thank you in advance! I do not know if latency is the exactly favourite subject on these forums, but many of you seem to know about the functionalities of these systems.

M.Bouche

Lastly: I will gladly share my experiences and lessons I have got from my experiments with virtual instruments.

May 11, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #5,097 of 12,194
Hi Guys,
Got a Yggy going to Woo Audio WA5.
WA5 has balanced in and balanced out, but is a single ended amp.
Is it better to use single end from Yggy to Woo and let the Yggy do the conversion?
Or use the balanced and let the Woo do the conversion?
On a similar note, I have balanced headphones (Abyss).
The Woo has balanced out and single ended out.
Is it better to use the single ended connection?
Seems if I use the balanced the signal is converted single to balanced at the Woo output then converted back to single at the headphone.
Or is the headphone able to use the balanced signal directly?
Thanks for your advice

May 11, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #5,098 of 12,194
Having trouble figuring out new Head Fi site.
Intended reply to "Yggy back ordered"
I say be patient. Get the Yggy. You won't regret it.
(I also run Oppo 95 to Yggy.
Yggy DAC sounds way better than Oppo DAC.
Oppo plays SACD and movies though!)

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #5,100 of 12,194
Hi Guys,
Got a Yggy going to Woo Audio WA5.
WA5 has balanced in and balanced out, but is a single ended amp.
Is it better to use single end from Yggy to Woo and let the Yggy do the conversion?
Or use the balanced and let the Woo do the conversion?
On a similar note, I have balanced headphones (Abyss).
The Woo has balanced out and single ended out.
Is it better to use the single ended connection?
Seems if I use the balanced the signal is converted single to balanced at the Woo output then converted back to single at the headphone.
Or is the headphone able to use the balanced signal directly?
Thanks for your advice

Single ended triode refers to the amplifier design, as in single-ended vs. push-pull. It has nothing to do with balanced vs. unbalanced connections.

I would use Yggy's balanced outputs with an amp that has balanced inputs and use the balanced headphone cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back