Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 25, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #4,096 of 12,119
Thanks for sharing everyone. Depicting how the system is connected really helps when there are a lot of components involved. I am curious on the inclusion of a pre-amp like the Freya. Why can't you just connect the Yggy to an amp? Do you guys include the Freya for volume control?

May I ask someone to recommend a pre-amp that has two XLR outputs? Would be great if I could output the Yggy to either the Rag or my receiver. Is such a thing even possible? Sorry for all the questions!

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #4,097 of 12,119
Thanks for sharing everyone. Depicting how the system is connected really helps when there are a lot of components involved. I am curious on the inclusion of a pre-amp like the Freya. Why can't you just connect the Yggy to an amp? Do you guys include the Freya for volume control?

May I ask someone to recommend a pre-amp that has two XLR outputs? Would be great if I could output the Yggy to either the Rag or my receiver. Is such a thing even possible? Sorry for all the questions!

SPL Phonitor 2
Khozmo (Passive)
Goldpoint (Passive)

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #4,098 of 12,119
So I have my Yggdrasil powered up for a little over 25 hours now. I am using a Singxer F-1 DDC to feed it via a new silver plated coax cable from "Amplifier Surgery".

As I understand it, the Yggdrasil requires 300 or so hour to burn in and stabilize to sound its best. The Singxer F-1 is supposed to need 200 or so hours to bloom. Finally, the coax cable is supposed to need 100 hours to sound its best.

All I can say is that after 25 hours my system sounds awesome!!! The first thing I noticed was that Yggy provides over Mimby is more clarity and detail. But what blew me away was how it locates instruments and voices across the sound stage when listening to my powered monitors. Instead of saying the drum kit is left center of the stage, I can often tell that the floor tom and snare are a few feet apart. Wow!

I can't wait for the 300 hour mark!!

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #4,099 of 12,119

SPL Phonitor 2
Khozmo (Passive)
Goldpoint (Passive)

Why not use the Freya ? It can be ordere with a combo of tubes and SS. Some people have reported great success with using Freya as preamp with and without tubes to different amps.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #4,101 of 12,119
Ive been reading up that the XLR (bal) outs of the Yggy sound slightly better than the RCA (se) out. Has anyone experimented with a XLR to RCA cable to see if that is an improvement over the normal SE out from the Yggy?

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #4,102 of 12,119
^ Not an exact answer to your question, which I think is a good one in the spirit of experiment, but here's Jason's take!

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #4,103 of 12,119
A long ways back it was suggested that this particular way of wiring up the outputs was 'better'.
It never caught on then and it seemed to fade away.

I never tried it so I can't comment from my own experience.

JJ

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #4,104 of 12,119
Guys, I have bought the Mutec MC3+ USB, after reading a lot of good reviews about the pairing with Yggdrasil. I'll receive it today along with a decent viablue aes/ebu cable.

Will post my impressions on it this weekend.
Hopefully it doesn't disappoint me :wink:

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #4,105 of 12,119
Guys, I have bought the Mutec MC3+ USB, after reading a lot of good reviews about the pairing with Yggdrasil. I'll receive it today along with a decent viablue aes/ebu cable.

Will post my impressions on it this weekend.
Hopefully it doesn't disappoint me
wink.gif

Out of curiosity, what are you using now?

Don't forget to let the MC3+ settle in for a bit.  It sounds pretty good out of the box, but I found it became a bit more relaxed and even slightly more coherent sounding over the span of a week or so (I keep mine on 24/7).

Looking forward to your review :)

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #4,106 of 12,119

Out of curiosity, what are you using now?

Don't forget to let the MC3+ settle in for a bit.  It sounds pretty good out of the box, but I found it became a bit more relaxed and even slightly more coherent sounding over the span of a week or so (I keep mine on 24/7).

Looking forward to your review :)

As in my signature.
I stream music from Tidal (Desktop or Macbook) -> Wyrd -> USB -> Yggy -> Balanced XLRs -> Ragnarok -> HD800S/LCD3/HE6 All balanced.

I listened to music with & without Wyrd, I think yggy does a good job already. I'll be honest, I really didn't hear any difference. But the wyrd made the background much cleaner with the gumby. 

So, I'm a bit skeptical about the Mutec, but as usual curiosity got the better of me :)

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #4,107 of 12,119
Are you going to use the AES interface?

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #4,108 of 12,119
  Are you going to use the AES interface?

Yes. As many mentioned that AES is the preferred input for the yggy. But I have bought the Mutec MC3+ USB version. (It still on the way)

I have no other source, other than my pc/laptop. I tried the toslink output from my PC sound card but I couldn't hear any difference over the usb. 
I just wanted to know if the differences are subtle or substantial and the only way of doing this is by trying out myself.

Luckily, the seller gives me 1 month return policy. :)

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #4,110 of 12,119

As I have mentioned in past, anybody not using AES on Yggy is missing the real magic.

Is it really that much better than SPDIF coax or BNC?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back