Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Oct 22, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #3,346 of 12,119
I've had my Yggy on for about 12hrs with music or tv going through it non-stop. Last night it was barely warm only on one side and this morning it's slightly warm everywhere.

My question is does it only get notoriously hot 3 days in?

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #3,347 of 12,119
I've had my Yggy on for about 12hrs with music or tv going through it non-stop. Last night it was barely warm only on one side and this morning it's slightly warm everywhere.

Mine is in a built in bookcase cabinet with the door slightly cracked from the cable coming out.

I have had it 4 months and only gets slightly warm

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #3,348 of 12,119
Kazsud. I've had my Yggy running for a few weeks included two weeks burn-in and it's still only slightly warm; and that is with a Ragy stacked on top!

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #3,350 of 12,119
In that interview Jason was talking about the new Vidar amplifier. The Vidar has high-density heat sinks, but instead of being on the outside of the chassis, they surround what Jason is calling a "heat tunnel" in the middle of the chassis. The tunnel is hollow like the center of a donut, and the heat is radiated mostly through that tunnel. The casing of the Vidar's at RMAF were also pretty warm to the touch at RMAF, and Jason indicated that they should have had more clearance than the shelf space provided at RMAF.

Thanks for the additional detail--great that you got to check out the new Schiit in person!

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #3,351 of 12,119

In that interview Jason was talking about the new Vidar amplifier. The Vidar has high-density heat sinks, but instead of being on the outside of the chassis, they surround what Jason is calling a "heat tunnel" in the middle of the chassis. The tunnel is hollow like the center of a donut, and the heat is radiated mostly through that tunnel. The casing of the Vidar's at RMAF were also pretty warm to the touch at RMAF, and Jason indicated that they should have had more clearance than the shelf space provided at RMAF.

Thanks for the additional detail--great that you got to check out the new Schiit in person!

I enjoyed meeting and talking with Jason at RMAF. The downside to going is that I now have an in-person inkling of how good this Schiit is, and that makes the waiting so much more difficult! First world problem.

Oct 22, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #3,352 of 12,119
Yep, I'm actually in the office and in the middle of the detailed torture-testing of Vidar. And yes, it does have heat sinks--high density versions, arranged in the middle of the chassis. You can literally look all the way through the center of the amp.

So far, I can report that Vidar is comfortably exceeding its power ratings in all modes, and into all rated loads. It is also (now) 100% stable. The ones at the show had some parasitic oscillation into 4 ohm loads near maximum output, which has been addressed with some changes to the compensation and bypassing.*

Next is thermal testing. We're getting aluminum bottom chassis to test next to the current steel design, so we can have a bit more surface area to spread the heat.

For heatsink nerds, the Vidar has about 620 square inches of radiating area in the heatsinks themselves, plus about 155 square inches for the top, plus about 280 square inches for the bottom chassis.

For history nerds, this is a bit more radiating area than the Sumo Polaris 2 had back in 1990, which was rated at 120/240 into 8 and 4 ohms. (Vidar, in current form, puts out more power than Polaris 2—and has three pairs of output devices, rather than two, so it's a significantly more robust amp. And...Polaris 2 cost $799. In 1991.)

*Running into stuff like this is normal in power amp design...it's a whole different ballgame than small-signal or low-power design. I'll have a chapter up on this soon. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 22, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #3,353 of 12,119
Yep, I'm actually in the office and in the middle of the detailed torture-testing of Vidar. And yes, it does have heat sinks--high density versions, arranged in the middle of the chassis. You can literally look all the way through the center of the amp.

So far, I can report that Vidar is comfortably exceeding its power ratings in all modes, and into all rated loads. It is also (now) 100% stable. The ones at the show had some parasitic oscillation into 4 ohm loads near maximum output, which has been addressed with some changes to the compensation and bypassing.*

Next is thermal testing. We're getting aluminum bottom chassis to test next to the current steel design, so we can have a bit more surface area to spread the heat.

For heatsink nerds, the Vidar has about 620 square inches of radiating area in the heatsinks themselves, plus about 155 square inches for the top, plus about 280 square inches for the bottom chassis.

For history nerds, this is a bit more radiating area than the Sumo Polaris 2 had back in 1990, which was rated at 120/240 into 8 and 4 ohms. (Vidar, in current form, puts out more power than Polaris 2—and has three pairs of output devices, rather than two, so it's a significantly more robust amp. And...Polaris 2 cost $799. In 1991.)

*Running into stuff like this is normal in power amp design...it's a whole different ballgame than small-signal or low-power design. I'll have a chapter up on this soon. 
Might be something to drive my Polk LSi15's.

Oct 22, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #3,354 of 12,119
Oh man, I just drooled all over my shirt! 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #3,355 of 12,119

That makes me worry that my Vienna Acoustics, which dip down to below 3, might be problematic for the Vidar.  

I'm happy to test that out if you want to send me a pair :wink:

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #3,356 of 12,119

Hi Jason,

Quick question, what does increasing the output devices do for the sound quality? Less distortion? Less noise? Or does it just prevent the Amp from breaking down as opposed to improving the sound  quality In which case doing something like using 6 pairs or 10 pairs of output devices would only increase the cost and add nothing of value?

Also out of curiosity, how many Multibit DAC chips would you have to use per channel (I know you use 2 now) in order to have enough current/voltage summed up to send the output directly to an amp without a separate analog section...be it opamp based or discrete?

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #3,357 of 12,119

Only if you stick it in an oven and dial up the temp.  
mad.gif

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #3,358 of 12,119
:beyersmile:

Oct 23, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #3,359 of 12,119
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ignoring the chassis, you've got quite a bit of capacity just in the fins. I'm out on the road now but once I get back from this trip, I might have to napkin math the P,diss and guesstimate what kind of action the sinks are seeing. Assuming a stright-fin arrangement it would be interesting to see the gains on some pin-fin arrangements. Not that it needs to be done (and maybe you have already!), I'm just studying for the PE and this would make a cool natural convection problem
biggrin.gif
(sorry the pun was there I had to).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back