Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 6, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #2,026 of 12,058

Sorry, but yggy's full potential will not be reached until you start looking for amps beyond rag's pricing.

What's your exposure to Yggy/Rag/other amp?  Thanks!  

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #2,027 of 12,058
im just worried that the mjolnir 2 might not be enough to show yggdrasil's full potential.

Assuming proper delivery of quality lossless music files, it's a great idea to spend a big chunk of dollars on Yggy first. You will be wringing incredible detail out of all your recordings, and future upgrades downstream (amp & cans) will keep paying off.

Of course if $ is of no concern, just get a Yggy, then spend way into 5 figures on downstream gear. Yggy won't be embarassed. :D

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #2,028 of 12,058
im just worried that the mjolnir 2 might not be enough to show yggdrasil's full potential.

It is quite interesting - I had never read much in the Mjolnir 2 thread. But the sentiments there (and the multiple posts following yours) seem to echo that thought.

Having only heard the original Mjolnir and Ragnarok (in the Schiit lineup, the most expensive options I have heard at home) I cannot comment from personal experience on the Mjolnir 2, but I am still surprised it is not considered a good mate well with Yggdrasil. The only issue with the original Mjolnir was a slightly unequal frequency response. A friend called the mids scooped out on Audeze LCD-X. I found it just slightly bright on HiFiMan HE-1000. But it certainly seemed speedy enough to register the speed of the Yggdrasil.

Sorry, but yggy's full potential will not be reached until you start looking for amps beyond rag's pricing.

I hope that is not true.

I would hope that Yggdrasil could be enjoyed on many of the relative bargains out there such as Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon, DNA Sonett and Sonett 2, Eddie Current Black Widow, and Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL2. There are some other tube companies I am less familiar with, such as Decware Zen Triode CSP3 - but I would hope these too would sound good paired with Yggdrasil and not darken or hide any of its sonic goodness.

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #2,029 of 12,058
Its amazing how some of the experts here will state things without ever hearing the Yggy.   The Yggy is definitely a worthwhile upgrade over the Gumby if you can afford it.  I have had both.  If you can't afford it then the Gumby is a pretty amazing at its price point.

As far as the Yggy/Mj2 combo , its very, very good.   At least with good tubes and  the HD800.  Can't speak to other combo's.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #2,030 of 12,058
Im really just looking for an endgame amp and dac. So hearing peoples personal experience with detail description and info helps. I searched all over those threads and all im getting is "i paired this with this and is good". Glad to know that its a favorable combination but more imformation is needed. Anything in the the 4digit price or almost reaching the 4digit range isn't pocket change. I guess to some it is. I know all my current headphonea are only mid teir but i want an end game setup in the affordable range, ygg, gungnir2, mjolnir2 and ragnarok seems to fit the bill. That way any purchases i make in the future are headphones only and tubes if i decided on mjolnir2. Just wanted to end this headphone setup journey as quick as possible.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #2,031 of 12,058
Im really just looking for an endgame amp and dac. So hearing peoples personal experience with detail description and info helps. I searched all over those threads and all im getting is "i paired this with this and is good". Glad to know that its a favorable combination but more imformation is needed. Anything in the the 4digit price or almost reaching the 4digit range isn't pocket change. I guess to some it is. I know all my current headphonea are only mid teir but i want an end game setup in the affordable range, ygg, gungnir2, mjolnir2 and ragnarok seems to fit the bill. That way any purchases i make in the future are headphones only and tubes if i decided on mjolnir2. Just wanted to end this headphone setup journey as quick as possible.

I had to check back in my post above to be certain I did not use the word "paired" - I rather dislike that word. Sorry that I used it in reply to your post a day or so ago.

Personally, I'm done in regards to searching for DACs. I have 3 that I like serving three different purposes. And I would mate any amplifier I have to any of the three DACs. Yggdrasil is big and heavy - it is not going anywhere. It sits static in a big system, with plenty of space. If I want to use headphones with that system, they must be balanced (because the Ragnarok is not going anywhere either) and they must be 10-foot cables (to reach the closest chair). Gungnir Multibit is a little more versatile and is used in a little more intimate settings. But it will also travel to the occasional area meet, while connected to a UPS. It is smaller, so it fits more easily in a bedroom environment (mine is also black, so it hides more easily
tongue.gif
). Last and certainly not least is a Chord Mojo. It fits all the other scenarios where the other two DACs do not make sense - I would not take a Gungnir on a plane with me.

But I would never call any of these DACs paired to any of my amplifiers - of course not! A DAC has the job to convert from digital to analog with as much detail and resolution as possible. Then it should get out of the way. Get the best DAC that makes sense for you. I have no plans to pair any of my amplifiers to any of my DACs, ever.

AMPs and headphones though are another story - I'm still on that part of the journey 
frown.gif

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #2,035 of 12,058
Falling into the "zomg this is expensive 6 figure audio gear so it must be teh best!!!11" trap.

I'm spending the weekend in Toronto and browsed a bunch of audio stores selling these esoteric, expensive offerings. The people who can afford to buy them must be assuming the same as @GOTB.

I'm not saying the $16,000 DAC with 8 Sabre chips doesn't sound good. Well, actually I am.

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2,036 of 12,058
I'm slowly warming up to the Yggy via AES input (versus direct USB) driven by the Gustard U12 modified with Crystek XOs.  Seems it takes the U12 a day or so to fully warm up and provide best sound.  More gravitas in the lower registers is what first strikes me in a memory comparison which is welcome on my system.       

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #2,037 of 12,058
Wow. I said I don't think there is anything better at the Yggdrasil's price point. But to say that it is competitive with better DACs is not very logical. The DACs I listed range from 5-7k, I'm not even talking about a Diamond V or Zodiac with atomic clock. Or the Dave. 

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #2,038 of 12,058
A reminder:

When someone says, “The new Snortledorfer III DAC is the closest thing to live music, and clearly justifies its $28,463 price tag,” or “Of course the $2,000 NambyPamby 1000 isn’t as good as the $11,500 Pflugternik Amazonian S.VII, because it is brighter and more etched,” silently append the following statements in your mind*:
  • In his or her opinion.
  • According to their biases.
  • Among the handful of products they’ve heard.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/8025#post_11992815

Aaaanddd...Yggy (and the other multibit DACs we make) are a tad bit more than "just more multibit DACs." They are (a) the only new integrated multibit architectures in almost 20 years) and (b) the only DACs with a closed-form digital filter implemented on an Analog Devices SHARC platform, as well as (c) having the only Adapticlock input data quality assessment and adaptive jitter reduction system, in the case of Yggy and Gungnir Multibit.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/3045#post_10944447
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/7635#post_11904537
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/8295#post_12031225

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 6, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #2,039 of 12,058
  Wow. I said I don't think there is anything better at the Yggdrasil's price point. But to say that it is competitive with better DACs is not very logical. The DACs I listed range from 5-7k, I'm not even talking about a Diamond V or Zodiac with atomic clock. Or the Dave. 

Using MSRP as a technical spec?  That's an interesting justification.

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #2,040 of 12,058
Is the ygg + mjolnir2 a waste on my current headphones even if i run them balanced? I planning to run hd650, hd600, he400i, k701, k7xx, and thx00 on them. Maybe they might be a bit of an overkill for my current headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back