Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 14, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #1,831 of 12,194

Agreed, absolutely try a different PC with the Yggy.  Improvements can be very much in-line with that of replacing the stock fuse with something better (perhaps even a little better depending on the cable used).

I would suggest trying building one at home using solid core copper wire but this advice is for those who are familiar and confident with electrical wiring and all.

Feb 14, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #1,834 of 12,194

mac mini with mojo ultra low noise linear “Joules V” power supply- ridge street audio enopias USB cable- Wyrd- yggy- Shiit audio balanced IC’s- Master 9- LCD-3.

Versus:   mac mini with mojo ultra low noise linear “Joules V” power supply- ridge street audio enopias USB cable- Wyrd- ultra-fi USB powered dac- cheap single ended copper IC's- Master 9- LCD-3.

I don’t want to get eyes on my post.  Not trying to impress anyone-   just stating exactly what I am hearing.  It is not a matter of “is it worth the difference”?  because the ultra-fi dac is superior and I am not paying even $50 for a downgrade (although not by much). The ultra-fi is clearer- more detailed and just as smooth, just as natural, and maybe a bit more musical to my ears.  It is slightly thinner sounding than the yggy but I prefer that- it is more realistic to me and also could be because the lcd-3 is so thick sounding already.  Please remember that the Joules V ultra low noise power supply is necessary for the usb dac to win because of the ultra clean power being delivered to the usb dac.  The yggy has a built in linear power supply already.

I really hope all this changes in the next week.  I only have about 80-85 hours of burn-in.  I plan to make a final evaluation at about 13 days of continuous burn-in before my return window ends.  I want the yggy to win.  I bought it because of all the hype of how good it is.  It is very difficult for me to believe that hundreds of supremely satisfied buyers who have reported on head-fi could be wrong and I am right. On the other hand- I am entertaining the possibility that this is all a bunch of hype and people are falling for it.  Burn-in will tell the true story to my ears.

Edit:   By the way- as an aside- the Schiit company is one of the MOST honest in this business.  They are so straight-and so accommodating and devoid of super-hype.  I only have the greatest of praise for them regardless of if I do or do not keep the yggy.

I am now at six and a half days of warm up and to my utter shock- the yggy has gone from nothing special at all to the best dac I ever heard in my life.  I cannot believe it.  I thought this was all a bunch of hype.  The first six days until 3-4 hours ago- the dac sounded somewhat congested and the resolution was O.K. but nothing special at all.  In the last few hours the detail and soundstage has exploded.  I have never heard such micro detail ever.  The closest I ever got was the Reimyo DAP-999EX , a $10,000 dac that was very musical and detailed but not as convincing and also fatiguing to my ears.  

I was so skeptikal the burn in would do this for two reasons.   One, I disagree with the analysis of many that the dac was bright before proper burn in.  To the contrary it was slow and congested.  Second-   I thought the burn in was a slow progressive change.  For me there was almost no change for the first six days- than it was like turning on a light bulb.  In a few hours it became a totally different sound.   My apologies to Schiit for not believeing in the burn in process.  This dac is for real.

Feb 14, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #1,835 of 12,194

I am now at six and a half days of warm up and to my utter shock- the yggy has gone from nothing special at all to the best dac I ever heard in my life.  I cannot believe it.  I thought this was all a bunch of hype.  The first six days until 3-4 hours ago- the dac sounded somewhat congested and the resolution was O.K. but nothing special at all.  In the last few hours the detail and soundstage has exploded.  I have never heard such micro detail ever.  The closest I ever got was the Reimyo DAP-999EX , a $10,000 dac that was very musical and detailed but not as convincing and fatiguing  to my ears.  

I was so skeptikal the burn in would do this for two reasons.   One, I disagree with the analysis of many that the dac was bright before proper burn in.  To the contrary it was slow and congested.  Second-   I thought the burn in was a slow progressive change.  For me there was almost no change for the first six days- than it was like turning on a light bulb.  In a few hours it became a totally different sound.   My apologies to Shiit for not believeing in the burn in process.  This dac is for real.

I only have one concern about your post.  It's spelled sChiit. 
devil_face.gif
wink_face.gif

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #1,836 of 12,194
  Hi guys, some questions:

1. I'm not worried about the bits, just curious. If the Yggdrasil uses one DAC chip per phase per channel how does it end up being a 21 bit DAC instead of 20 bit?

2. If the signal is upsampled inside and the solution respects the original samples, there is no point in upsampling ripped CDs to a multiple of 44.1 kHz on something like Audirvana before sending to the DAC, right?

3. How are 24 bit tracks converted to 20 bit, just rescaled? 

Cheers,

There are not 24 bits. 

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,838 of 12,194

There are. Doesn't matter if the signal uses the entire dynamic range or not, but each sample still has a 24 bit length (in hi-res files, even if it is just silence) and has to be converted to 20 bits. How is it done, simple rescaling?

Each original sample (which are all retained in the Yggy's mega combo burrito filter) could be from 16 (Redbook) to 24 (Hi-res) bits.  The 20 bit output samples are rounded off (not truncated) right before the DAC.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 14, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #1,839 of 12,194

Each original sample (which are all retained in the Yggy's mega combo burrito filter) could be from 16 (Redbook) to 24 (Hi-res) bits.  The 20 bit output samples are rounded off (not truncated) right before the DAC.

Thanks!
And how does it end being a 21 bit DAC with one 20 bit chip per phase per channel? Not important, just curious.

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #1,840 of 12,194

Thanks!
And how does it end being a 21 bit DAC with one 20 bit chip per phase per channel? Not important, just curious.

Two twenty bit DACs (one per phase) double the resolution for a balanced signal.  Double the resolution only adds 6db (one more bit) for a total of 21 bits.  In this case, 20+20 equal 21.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 14, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #1,842 of 12,194
Originally Posted by rsbrsvp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The first six days until 3-4 hours ago- the dac sounded somewhat congested and the resolution was O.K. but nothing special at all.  In the last few hours the detail and soundstage has exploded.  I have never heard such micro detail ever.
This dac is for real.

You're just toying with us now.  But this is very freaky, if you ask me.  

Do the other multibit DACs have this characteristic of BOOM! suddenly coming together?

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #1,843 of 12,194
I am now at six and a half days of warm up and to my utter shock- the yggy has gone from nothing special at all to the best dac I ever heard in my life.  I cannot believe it.  I thought this was all a bunch of hype.  The first six days until 3-4 hours ago- the dac sounded somewhat congested and the resolution was O.K. but nothing special at all.  In the last few hours the detail and soundstage has exploded.  I have never heard such micro detail ever.  The closest I ever got was the Reimyo DAP-999EX , a $10,000 dac that was very musical and detailed but not as convincing and fatiguing  to my ears.  

I was so skeptikal the burn in would do this for two reasons.   One, I disagree with the analysis of many that the dac was bright before proper burn in.  To the contrary it was slow and congested.  Second-   I thought the burn in was a slow progressive change.  For me there was almost no change for the first six days- than it was like turning on a light bulb.  In a few hours it became a totally different sound.   My apologies to Shiit for not believeing in the burn in process.  This dac is for real.

So you take back the comment that we are all just hyping the DAC? Kthxbai

Users who are viewing this thread

Back