Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 21, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #316 of 12,188

Have you seen the hype train for Chord Dave? It's much much more out there especially when it's not even released and people are already singing all kinds of praises and etc.

It's funny how products from Chord are allowed hype.

And yes, the quad usb is super expensive, but look at other usb interfaces out there.

True, I have not heard quad USB. Would be interesting to hear the Analog from a spinner though. TBH, I don't care for the MSB house sound at their pricing. Yes, I've heard their better stuff. The Analog is their entry level DAC.

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #317 of 12,188

It's funny how products from Chord are allowed hype.

True, I have not heard quad USB. Would be interesting to hear the Analog from a spinner though. TBH, I don't care for the MSB house sound at their pricing. Yes, I've heard their better stuff. The Analog is their entry level DAC.

Indeed, I also heard signature dac iv and diamond dac iv, so I am familiar with their better products. Didn't have the chance to listen to the new generation V from msb, though. 

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #318 of 12,188
Adding a contribution to the collective... I finally completed my evaluation of the Yggdrasil and consolidated my thoughts in a Schiit Audio Yggdrasil vs. Benchmark DAC1 PRE comparison review that I just posted here.

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #319 of 12,188
  LOL… 

You & your Hypemeisters must be getting free Yggys-    

Why do you keep on about this very good DAC being a huge giant killer ?  It's just not… 

If you're so confident, why not have yours pro reviewed ?

Why not do a shootout w/ all these DACs you claim to know so well & get a panel (you don't know) from the LAAS over to your place to compare ?

I've done this w/ several at my house against the MSB Analog DAC during a week-  Results ?  Yggy = great… but still thin & glassy at the top… Analog DAC… same detail… more ease, analog flow & far more 'draw you in' to the music going on… at least 25% better & overall more enjoyable…

Diminishing returns ?  Perhaps…

If the Yggy blows everything away, then why have at least 4 been sold or returned ???

Nearly never does any level of MSB come up for sale... 

4 out of 200 is only a 2% dissatisfied customer base. That's less than any apple product.

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #320 of 12,188
Wino Quote:
If the Yggy blows everything away, then why have at least 4 been sold or returned ???

Nearly never does any level of MSB come up for sale... 

Kazud Quote:
 4 out of 200 is only a 2% dissatisfied customer base. That's less than any apple product.

I should hope at least four have been sold or returned! But no matter how the math is done, I won't be selling mine.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #321 of 12,188
I got offered a black unit and took delivery on Monday, shipped last Friday.  Right off the bat I will say this DAC is quite impressive.  And this is up against some very high end other units I have in my possession (I own them, not on loan).  It will be interesting to compare it to my benchmark, the APL NWO-M.  But i can say that it sounds fabulous with the T2/009 combo right now (after 1.5 days on).  The soundstage is incredible and the tone is very engaging and natural.  I am used to detail with the NWO (20 AKM 4399 chips per channel) so i am not sure the Yggdrasil will shock me, but I can tell it is very honest.  I recently re-aquired an Audio Note 4.1x balanced, but prefer the NWO.  The AN is detailed but maybe a bit soft.  It certainly is no slouch, I just prefer the precision of the NWO and I would say the Yggdrasil is more in my wheel house.  I'll probably sell the AN again.  

I also have a Metric Halo LIO-8 for comparison.  This sounds like a less detailed NWO (only 2 AKM chips) but is an excellent converter in its own right. It's main use is to serve my 4-5 DIY headamps.  

Some may be interested to know I am feeding the Yggdrasil with a beaglebone black and it works perfectly.  I used the guide here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/625-geek-speak-how-build-upnp-dlna-openhome-renderer-less-100/ I am serving tunes with bubbleupnp from my synology NAS.  

It will be interesting to see if this magical burn-in changes the sound. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #322 of 12,188
Wow, you got a black Yggy, they didn't make many of those, I am surprised they still had one available in the first batch.

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #325 of 12,188
AFAIK from reading the "Schiit Happened" thread sometimes Schiit does get a black chassis for whatever reason.  Would love to see a pic.

Anyhow, for giggles I A/Bd Yggdrasil vs the unknown (and sureley $$$ cheap as ***) 24/96 DAC in my AKAI AMX DJ controller.  Not even close.  Tonality, completely different.  Controller has a horrible metallic overtone to everything while Yggdrasil sounds real.  The soundstage (from Event Opal studio monitors) with Yggdrasil is in big and full 3D whereas it completely collapses to a nearly flat 2D on the controller.

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #326 of 12,188
I still believe that a two week period is best for being shure the yggy is in the "majic zone",
As mine happened to take almost 2 weeks...

I do think it still should be viewed as a top tier dac ,
because of the superior wider sounstage and details...
I do not discount it just because other say that "mids" are not as they would like,
Or they are missing their "deeper" blackness of background...
:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• zexk
Back