Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 18, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #286 of 12,119
Let's try to keep the topic on Yggy.  :)    

(Just a whisper to widecatsare1: HE6 + Aleph3 left me wanting nothing from HD800 for my genre.  They are quite different in strength though, and my system is far from ideal, especially for HD800)

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #287 of 12,119

On the other hand, your AGD REF 7 is just as natural sounding.

It's debatable in your case if you will hear significant improvements with your setup. Amps made for speakers tend to be less resolving than dedicated headphone amps, although the Aleph 3 is about as a straightforward as it gets. Also I'm not sure if the HE-6 will take advantage of Yggy's resolution as well as say an HD800. One thing I've noticed is that Yggy's stage depth does not translate as well to headphones as well as it does headphones. Finally, the REF7, being tonally warmer and lusher than Yggy, might be a better match for your Aleph 3 + HE6 combination. (The Pass amps tend to be neutral and the HE6 can have a good edge.) Yggy does slam harder and is more articulate in the bass, but is definitely not warm or lush like the REF 7.

Hi Purrin,

I've just sold my ref7. Yggy is so addictive, and everytime I tried to listen to diverter-ref7, in the back of my mind, was just how it sound Yggy, so go back to Yggy and found it's what I expected. Maybe it's just Stratus match better to Yggy than ref7, as my HD800 setup was quite lush. I'm currently selling my LCD-X. I found the improvement from ref7 to Yggy, was not translating well using LCD-X (not as much as HD800). I guess maybe the headphone was not transparent enough.

How was offramp compare to yggy usb input? I felt sonicweld diverter add a bit more depth to yggy, but in expense a bit of dynamic and texture.

Thanks for advise

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #288 of 12,119
I like the Yggdrasil.  Using a bunch of weird adjectives to describe it is no big deal - you're right.  However, saying it beats "practically" any other DAC on the market is ridiculous hype.  

Well said sir. I like my yggy, but its not the end all of all dacs. I hope one day to be fortunate to check out other TOTL amps and dacs. My yggy is my first dac and I will not compare it anything I have not actually heard..

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #289 of 12,119
Well said sir. I like my yggy, but its not the end all of all dacs. I hope one day to be fortunate to check out other TOTL amps and dacs. My yggy is my first dac and I will not compare it anything I have not actually heard..

You say the Yggy is not the end of all Dacs - but haven't heard anything else. How the hell would you know then???

Not very logic  - are you?

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #290 of 12,119
I say you the Yggy is no the end of all Dacs - but haven't heard anything else. How the hell would you know then???

Not very logic  - are you?

I heard the bifrost and it was not nearly as good as the bifrost. I think the bifrost is mid-fi, not TOTL. From what I have heard from my Yggy and reviews on the Yggy, I Say its ToTL, however, I do not think you know how to critically criticize, and thus I will block you, before I say something that gets me banned.

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #291 of 12,119
  @purrin and @negura: Thanks a lot for the honest and sincere replies.  I do prefer slightly warmer sound with substance as long as the focusing was not suffered too much.  Your testimony can save me big bucks in venturing to the wrong direction.  It looks the Theta Gen Va will be more in-line with my preference.   Thanks a lot!!

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage you from trying Yggy. The Gen V is warmer than Yggy, but it's mostly on the account that Gen V isn't quite as clear sounding and resolving as the Yggy. Part of this could the age of the parts. The caps in these old DACs need to be replaced. In the end, there isn't huge tonal difference between Yggy and Gen V once Yggy has been left on for a week.

Hi Purrin,

I've just sold my ref7. Yggy is so addictive, and everytime I tried to listen to diverter-ref7, in the back of my mind, was just how it sound Yggy, so go back to Yggy and found it's what I expected. Maybe it's just Stratus match better to Yggy than ref7, as my HD800 setup was quite lush. I'm currently selling my LCD-X. I found the improvement from ref7 to Yggy, was not translating well using LCD-X (not as much as HD800). I guess maybe the headphone was not transparent enough.

How was offramp compare to yggy usb input? I felt sonicweld diverter add a bit more depth to yggy, but in expense a bit of dynamic and texture.

Thanks for advise

The Stratus has bit of warmth and gentle treble like the REF7. It might be that the combination of REF7 and Stratus are too much of a good thing. Personally, I feel the Yggy and a good tube amp (not overly lush / syrupy / romantic, but dynamic, clear, hard hitting, and resolving) is the way to go. The problem is that most tube amps will not power current hungry orthos correctly if you happen to like orthos.

The Off Ramp 5 + Wyrd AES into Yggy (AES was the best sounding) was inferior to the built-in USB Gen 3 on the Yggy. I sold the Off Ramp rather quickly. I've since gone back to spinners. Currently using the Theta Data III as a CD transport. Sounds better than USB.

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #292 of 12,119

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage you from trying Yggy. The Gen V is warmer than Yggy, but it's mostly on the account that Gen V isn't quite as clear sounding and resolving as the Yggy. Part of this could the age of the parts. The caps in these old DACs need to be replaced. In the end, there isn't huge tonal difference between Yggy and Gen V once Yggy has been left on for a week.

That and there was less processing power back then. Detail shouldn't be underestimated. There is both better macro and micro detail with the Yggy. The latter contributes to better imaging, layering, better perception of venue space, and ultimately realism etc...

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #294 of 12,119

Well red...

I do indeed hope you're able to hear & live w/ other more "TOTL amps & DACs" to compare…  

So you'll realize how much insane BS & hype is still being spewed here… it's truly amazing… especially w/ homemade single driver speakers...

The Yggy is great… it doesn't beat everything out there, by any stretch… ridiculous...

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #295 of 12,119
And you people coming into the thread spewing **** about how the yggy isn't the greatest thing in the world is ridiculous as well. Let people have their opinions and stop worrying about "hype."

How bout that? I doubt anyone in this thread gives a flying **** about 100k dacs they can'y afford, they care about how the the yggy sounds compared to relatively priced dacs, so try and keep on topic, shall we?

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #296 of 12,119

Quote:

So you'll realize how much insane BS & hype is still being spewed here… it's truly amazing… especially w/ homemade single driver speakers...

My 8" + 15" speakers are more efficient than yours at 97db, don't have box coloration, and uses a single part x-over for the wide-banders. And my woofers and bigger than your woofers. Neener, neener, neener.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #297 of 12,119

My 8" + 15" speakers are more efficient than yours at 97db, don't have box coloration, and uses a single part x-over for the wide-banders. And my woofers and bigger than your woofers. Neener, neener, neener.

LOL… 

You & your Hypemeisters must be getting free Yggys-    

Why do you keep on about this very good DAC being a huge giant killer ?  It's just not… 

If you're so confident, why not have yours pro reviewed ?

Why not do a shootout w/ all these DACs you claim to know so well & get a panel (you don't know) from the LAAS over to your place to compare ?

I've done this w/ several at my house against the MSB Analog DAC during a week-  Results ?  Yggy = great… but still thin & glassy at the top… Analog DAC… same detail… more ease, analog flow & far more 'draw you in' to the music going on… at least 25% better & overall more enjoyable…

Diminishing returns ?  Perhaps…

If the Yggy blows everything away, then why have at least 4 been sold or returned ???

Nearly never does any level of MSB come up for sale... 

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #298 of 12,119

Oh… don't forget to mention the digital room correction you're using… 

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #299 of 12,119
  LOL… 

You & your Hypemeisters must be getting free Yggys-    

I paid for mine. Dunno about others.

If you're so confident, why not have yours pro reviewed ?

Why? I don't care what Robert Harley or Michael Fremer think. When Stereophile says the Benchmark DAC1 is a Class "A" Digital component, I have doubts about their ears or honesty. 80% of the gear that has a TAS super award , I think is crap.

Why do you keep on about this very good DAC being a huge giant killer ?  It's just not… 

I'm not. I haven't really said much about it on HF for a while. The only thing I did recently was correct your assertion that discrete resistors provided more relative accuracy than the AD5751.

Why not do a shootout w/ all these DACs you claim to know so well & get a panel (you don't know) from the LAAS over to your place to compare ?

Why would I want to get folks from the Los Angeles Astronomical society? All kidding aside, I get audiophiles in my house all the time to compare stuff. Most I know well, and many times every time new people. I also organize a lot of small semi-public meets. Lots of new people every time.

I've done this w/ several at my house against the MSB Analog DAC during a week-  Results ?  Yggy = great… but still thin & glassy at the top… Analog DAC… same detail… more ease, analog flow & far more 'draw you in' to the music going on… at least 25% better & overall more enjoyable…

I agree that the MSB is a fuller warmer sounding DAC with mellower treble if that is what you are looking for. This is why I've suggested, as a personal project, taking the outputs from the pins of the chips and running a tube buffer in place of the FETs.

However, I still maintain Yggy is more resolving with better microdynamics. My priority for DACs rests on resolution and the micro-stuff more than tonal coloring. I already have another DAC which gives me more ease and fluidity, however I find it a tad too forgiving and artificially smooth. Heck, even the 20 year old Spectral SDR2000 sounds better than the MSB if you want that kind of sound. If your are not hearing the Yggy as being much more resolving than the MSB Analog DAC (I believe we've already been through this), you need to look elsewhere in your chain. It could be your active preamp, or 15 piece x-over in your speakers, or maybe your cables are getting in the way.

Keep the chain simple. Limit the number of gain and buffer stages in each device. You are probably running two stages in your preamp and three stages in your speaker amp. Get rid of crap that doesn't need to be there like your preamp. The Yggy's outputs should be hot enough to drive an passive pre or autoformer. Minimize reactive components (caps + coils) in passive speaker x-overs.

Also, consider that you are running a setup that tends to be very different from most people here on HF. One of the secret advantages to headphones is that the signal chains are extremely simple (typically two stage amps, no pre, and no x-over). I don't think a lot of HF'ers realize how resolving their setups are compared to most speaker systems, even expensive ones. Finally, as we say, YMMV. Your personal truth may very well be different from my truth, which may be different from others' truths.

If the Yggy blows everything away, then why have at least 4 been sold or returned ???

Stupid argument, but lets continue on it. What's the rate of sale or return? Schiit was sold hundreds already and I bet they will sell 50-100 per month. How many DACs does MSB sell per year? 24? 29? In ten to fifteen years, there won't be enough rich old audiophiles to keep companies like MSB afloat. Keep in mind that I turned down several opportunities to purchase MSB DACs. 

Again, this is just a stupid argument because we can always turn things around and say Schiit is more popular.

Nearly never does any level of MSB come up for sale..

Last time I checked when I was interested in an MSB DAC about a year ago, there were three on the 'gon.

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #300 of 12,119
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649204365-msb-analog-dac-full-stack-with-volume-control-umt-ethernet-input-black-with-analog-dac-power-base/

http://www.hifishark.com/search?q=msb+analog&region=&country_iso=US&site_id=&sold=on

I wouldn't say MSB Analogs are NEVER resold....

In any case, I think it's safe to say one could purchase the Yggy and resell it for about 90% of its' value, especially with demand where it is. Those Analogs aren't relisted near their $8000 price (one went for $4000!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back