1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by indiegradofan, May 12, 2015.
First

Back
64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73
75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84
Next

Last
  1. Articnoise

This is not the place to go in deep about MSB, but FYI I have compered the full stack MSB IV Diamond to the Analog (without the powerbase) on both the old USB and with the I2S Interface. I have also compared the Diamond to the Linn Klimax. The system was Marten Bird 2, ML, AQ USB and Gigawatt power conditioner.

I think it was pretty easy to hear the difference between the two interfaces on both DACs even if they didn’t played the same songs on the two interfaces lol. I2S was better in every way to my.

The Analog is made to sound natural. From the horse mouth “So you will love the natural sound of the Analog DAC. You will love the lack of digital harshness. You will think you are listening to an analog source. But when you compare with the DAC V you will realize that you are missing precision and absolute accuracy but you might not care.”

http://www.msbtech.com/products/analogDac.php?Page=dac5comp

2. preproman

Because I've heard better..

3. listen4joy
    preproman can you give impressions on your EMM Labs DAC2X (15k) dac? [​IMG].
    probly one of the best out there

4. negura

Yes this is not the thread for it and I am familiar with the marketing literature. I have been comparing the Analog and Series Signature V stacks for a while side by side now and I will soon be ready to post my impressions in the relevant places.

It was good and worthwhile to compare the Yggdrasil with the Analog DAC, even if the former didn't come out winning. There is no need to compare it to the Signature 5 stack. 

I might even end up buying another Yggdrasil sometime, for another rig, as I don't know any production DAC remotely comparable in performance for the price. And that's where it wins all the time compared to DACs known to me.

5. mhamel
    Can we please keep the thread on topic to Yggrasil impressions?  It's not the thread to ask people to detail how another DAC sounds... start a thread for that or search the forum. Comparisons are one thing, but going off and derailing the thread to to discuss other products is way off-topic.

Exidrion, ZoNtO and Jason Stoddard like this.
  6. jfoxvol

+1 this thread is for Yggy and perhaps direct comparisons in context.

7. BirdManOfCT

That's a good reason! LOL

8. Jason Stoddard
    I think that every review, impression, or de facto "this product sounds better than that" statement would be made immeasurably better if it was required to have these three disclaimers:

1. This is only my opinion.
    2. I am biased, like everyone else.
    3. I have not heard everything in the world.

I am personally amused by DACs that cost like cars. There's no problem comparing them to Yggy, but personally I'd rather travel to some spectacular locations in the world, learn something completely new, take a breather and not worry about money for a while, or, hell, spend the money on a car.

But...this is only my opinion, I am biased like everyone else, and I have not heard everything in the world.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  9. pedalhead Contributor
    Of course, there are people out there (sadly myself not included!) who are able to afford the car and the DAC that costs the same as the car, making them a valid purchase option for some. The fact that something at the price point of the Yggdrasil can subjectively compete with any of those dacs should be considered a validation of the design approach taken with the Yggy.

10. US Blues

It also makes me wonder where those thousands of extra dollars go for incremental improvements.

1. This is only my opinion.
    2. I am biased, like everyone else.
    3. I have not heard everything in the world.

4. As a part time amateur musician I also know that no playback system sounds like real musical instruments. In my opinion is all about creating a satisfactory illusion for our listening pleasure.

Jason Stoddard and johndean like this.
  11. pedalhead Contributor
    Oh, just because people make them, and some people can afford them, doesn't mean they're any better subjectively than something costing far less. This is true in many (most?) walks of life.

12. BirdManOfCT

Almost 3 days in, sounding sweet.

13. johndean
    The No. 4 statement may be one of the best statements about audio reproduction ive ever heard that noone says. It is completely true. 

14. Jason Stoddard

A corollary to #4 is, "I could also go enjoy live music, which benefits both myself and the musicians."

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
    ColtMrFire, jfoxvol, tronco and 2 others like this.
  15. artur9

If you're ever in Philly you should try the Victor Cafe.  The waiters there are trained opera singers and perform arias every once in a while during dinner.

Not really an opera fan but I had to try it because unamplified live music is hard to find..  Upon hearing them sing I realized how far my system needs to go ;-(

Their singing their version of Happy Birthday (pre-copyright ruling) just about brought tears to my eyes.  Probably because I realized how much more I'll have to spend :wink:

Argo Duck likes this.
First

Back
64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73
75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84
Next

Last