Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 30, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #10,081 of 12,049
ok back to the Yggy!! Listening to the Yggy GS and comparing it to the Lumin T2. Very different presentation - both very good.

I'd describe the Yggy as 10 row maybe a wider soundstage but the bass has less definition that the Lumin.

The Lumin better bass depth and definition, better clarity of image with a closer stage that took a little getting used to.

PS the Yggy GS may be the best bargain out there in DACs today at $1599

Good to see a Yggy GS post. How long have you had it and how long has it been “on”?

I agree it should be a terrific value.

May 31, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #10,084 of 12,049
Sounds good, do you think the having a nucleus clone is significantly better than running roon off a normal PC? Also are there any good resources for part selection? The nuc kits are ok but I would rather choose all the parts and chassis if I'm going to go that route.

You can run Roon on your PC, and use a Pi4 as a network endpoint with usb out to your DAC and it will sound great and is super simple and cheap. At some point in the future, if you want to upgrade you can get a dedicated Roon core and HQPlayer as well, which I use and I think is worth every penny!

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #10,085 of 12,049
@jp11801 I am currious how you tested the yggy vs the Lumin. Are both through usb? Any example tracks that can illustrate your opinions on the bass response? From what I have read about the yggy the bass slam is the aspect of it that people always bring up. It may be a reason to pick up an A2, the gs does seem close to a steal at it's current price.

Jun 1, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #10,086 of 12,049
I was going through some Topping A90 reviews and found the ASR site to have a detailed write up, but it seems that Headfi / ASR members don’t respect each other very much - any specific reason why that is the case? Even though we all love music why such behavior? If someone is happy with their 100$ DAC let them be, if someone is happy with 100K $ DAC let them be. It’s so petty almost like two people arguing over if Coke is better or Pepsi....I mean who cares? Enjoy your drink, and go on with the rest of your day :beerchug:

Jun 1, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #10,087 of 12,049
@jp11801 I am currious how you tested the yggy vs the Lumin. Are both through usb? Any example tracks that can illustrate your opinions on the bass response? From what I have read about the yggy the bass slam is the aspect of it that people always bring up. It may be a reason to pick up an A2, the gs does seem close to a steal at it's current price.
It was not easy that is for sure, the Lumin doesn't require USB as the DAC and streamer are in the same box so no need for usb.

I've had the A1, A2 and now GS also at three different usb implementations. Personally the GS is a no brainer at the price particularly if you are going to use AES. I'm not so sure the GS and A2 are that far apart.

The Schiit was fed by the Lumin U1 mini via aes and the Lumin t2 by itself. These units were both feed by the same Roon Rock server.I generally play a mix of Norah Jones, Steely Dan, Miles Davis, Bill Evans... I do prefer a mix of short and longer sessions, meaning listen to a song then switch and other times spending an hour with each. This was done over the course of three days.

Often when someone prefers something people read one is good and one is not. In this case both are excellent, I just happen to prefer the Lumin T2. The Yggy particularly the GS is an unmitigated steal at the asking price. I do think feeding it a good source is important and either the Unison upgrade or using AES is the best option.

Bass quantity similar on both texture and slam go to the Lumin - oh and for these I use things like Rage Against the Machine, Jaco Pastorious and an organ jazz album by Larry Coryell.

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #10,088 of 12,049
I was going through some Topping A90 reviews and found the ASR site to have a detailed write up, but it seems that Headfi / ASR members don’t respect each other very much - any specific reason why that is the case? Even though we all love music why such behavior? If someone is happy with their 100$ DAC let them be, if someone is happy with 100K $ DAC let them be. It’s so petty almost like two people arguing over if Coke is better or Pepsi....I mean who cares? Enjoy your drink, and go on with the rest of your day :beerchug:

Amir measured the Yggy, and 5 other people who measured it couldn't reproduce his results. He'd been in a hurry, so responding to the idea that it required thermal stability before it measured its best, he warmed it up with a heat gun! Major amateur hour. Adding to his acting like he knew better than Audio Precision how to use their own equipment and a bunch of other BS, he has fairly soured his reputation. He also doesn't understand that you can make rubbish products that measure well quite easily, but that doesn't equate to genuinely good-sounding products.

It is trick that has been done by several other people before: Set yourself up as an authority through what seems like impressive technical knowledge and/or measuring gear. Find a manufacturer and trash them, claiming that they ripping off consumers and that you are saving them. Get martyred (banned) from Head-Fi, claiming that HF is trying to protect sponsors. Like the modern conspiracy bandwagons, it is easy to attract followers who just want to be part of some kind of movement and feel superior to others by putting them down (I get a few of his followers trolling my Youtube channel from time to time). People who take the time to research themselves and learn soon realise that they've been manipulated.

Jun 3, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #10,089 of 12,049
ok back to the Yggy!! Listening to the Yggy GS and comparing it to the Lumin T2. Very different presentation - both very good.

I'd describe the Yggy as 10 row maybe a wider soundstage but the bass has less definition that the Lumin.

The Lumin better bass depth and definition, better clarity of image with a closer stage that took a little getting used to.

PS the Yggy GS may be the best bargain out there in DACs today at $1599

I’m thinking of getting a GS and then upgrading to the Analog 2 down the line so I get a feel for the differences. I was originally going to go with the Holo but tonality wise it might be best suited with speakers as those will more than likely be paired with a SS amp.

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #10,090 of 12,049
I’m thinking of getting a GS and then upgrading to the Analog 2 down the line so I get a feel for the differences. I was originally going to go with the Holo but tonality wise it might be best suited with speakers as those will more than likely be paired with a SS amp.

if you go GS I would advise one of two options - if you need to use USB buy the unison upgrade, if AES is an option then use that with no need to upgrade to unison. I think the GS gets you pretty close to the A2 but that's my "feeling" as while I have owned an A1, A2 and GS I've never had they three iterations side by side.

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #10,091 of 12,049
Any speculations on the next Yggdrasil revision/upgrade? it's been 3 years since the A2 upgrade.

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #10,092 of 12,049
if you go GS I would advise one of two options - if you need to use USB buy the unison upgrade, if AES is an option then use that with no need to upgrade to unison. I think the GS gets you pretty close to the A2 but that's my "feeling" as while I have owned an A1, A2 and GS I've never had they three iterations side by side.

I’ve had my GS for about five days and it’s as detailed as the hype. It’s able to bring out any background sound to the forefront and it has great soundstage and imaging. It’s easy to keep track of everything. The GS is definitely a bit dry especially if going full Solid State. I’ll reserve any further impressions until at least 2 weeks of heating up.

At this point my system is revealing enough that I’m thinking of upgrading from my LCD 3s to some Stellias to take advatabdge of the additional speed of their Beryiliym drivers and micro detail retrieval. Not sure yet though.

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #10,093 of 12,049
Jun 15, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #10,094 of 12,049
Can't speak for Raggy but certainly I am the last word on an Yggy 2: Over my Dead Body.

Are you sure there won't be a Yggy 2?

Just imagine what you could do if you revise the design just like Bifrost 2. :slight_smile::slight_smile:

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #10,095 of 12,049
Are you sure there won't be a Yggy 2?

Just imagine what you could do if you revise the design just like Bifrost 2. :slight_smile::slight_smile:

Bifrost 2 benefits from technology trickled-down from Yggdrasil & Gungnir, but in a more compact case, with different analog filter output stage & smaller PSU. also fewer inputs than Yggy.

Yggy "just" needs new analog boards, plus maybe a new CPU / DSP board for the next gen upgrades. Analog power supply is big enough to support future design changes with headroom. Hopefully the same for the digital PSU sections. Casework already has multiple I/O cutouts on the rear panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back